Trump is a fascist.

Started by jimmy olsen, November 25, 2015, 10:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your opinion, is Trump a fascist?

Yes
9 (22%)
No
21 (51.2%)
It's more complicated than that because...
11 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 26, 2015, 11:51:48 AM
Dguller's observation is more to the point.  It really doesn't matter if Trump is himself a fascist.  He certainly appeals to fascist tendencies which a demagogue like Trump has apparently no hesitation to exploit.

But what the hell are "fascistic tendencies"?

Looking at that fairly vague Fascist checklist", I (more or less) agree with a couple of those nine points, namely:

Quote"The primacy of the group, toward which one has duties superior to every right, whether individual or universal, and the subordination of the individual to it."

It should perhaps not be a surprise that a career public servant thinks that people of a country owe a duty to that country?  And that duty, while perhaps not superior, is equal to the country's duty to it's citizens?

and

Quote"Dread of the group's decline under the corrosive effects of individualistic liberalism, class conflict, and alien influences."

Again it should perhaps not be a surprise that myself as a classical conservative think that we should try to be a more cohesive and unified society, that in some cases excessive liberalism harms this country, and that while welcoming immigrants (and refugees) we should make some attempts to encourage people to integrate into our society and adopt Canadian values?

If someone speaks to those points does that mean they are appealling to "fascistic tendencies"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2015, 12:01:38 PM
Dguller's observation is more to the point.  It really doesn't matter if Trump is himself a fascist.  He certainly appeals to fascist tendencies which a demagogue like Trump has apparently no hesitation to exploit.

But what D
:hmm: It didn't sound like that "but" was going to be good for me, so I'm glad you stopped there.

Trump's non-fascist (but definitely nasty) Gestapo got him mid-sentence!   :cry:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2015, 12:04:00 PM

But what the hell are "fascistic tendencies"?

Looking at that fairly vague Fascist checklist", I (more or less) agree with a couple of those nine points, namely:

Quote"The primacy of the group, toward which one has duties superior to every right, whether individual or universal, and the subordination of the individual to it."

It should perhaps not be a surprise that a career public servant thinks that people of a country owe a duty to that country?  And that duty, while perhaps not superior, is equal to the country's duty to it's citizens?

and

Quote"Dread of the group's decline under the corrosive effects of individualistic liberalism, class conflict, and alien influences."

Again it should perhaps not be a surprise that myself as a classical conservative think that we should try to be a more cohesive and unified society, that in some cases excessive liberalism harms this country, and that while welcoming immigrants (and refugees) we should make some attempts to encourage people to integrate into our society and adopt Canadian values?

If someone speaks to those points does that mean they are appealling to "fascistic tendencies"?

Well you were a member of the Reform party for a time  :P

If you really believe in the subordination of the individual to the interests of the state then I think you are at least on some difficult ground.  That leads to not questioning the group/state leadership which in turn... well I think you know where that ends up.

I guess that also goes hand in hand with an opposition to "individualistic liberalism".  I tend to think that individual rights and freedoms guaranteed in a liberal democracy are a great importance.  Frankly it surprises me that you are so far right on these issues.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 26, 2015, 12:33:36 PM

If you really believe in the subordination of the individual to the interests of the state then I think you are at least on some difficult ground.  That leads to not questioning the group/state leadership which in turn... well I think you know where that ends up.

I guess that also goes hand in hand with an opposition to "individualistic liberalism".  I tend to think that individual rights and freedoms guaranteed in a liberal democracy are a great importance.  Frankly it surprises me that you are so far right on these issues.

Whatever happened to:

QuoteAsk not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"?

I believe I said that your duty to the state is equal, not superior, to the state's duty to you.

And if you're using quotes, quote correctly.  I said "excessive liberalism".  See safe spaces, microagressions, etc.  And remember that our Charter of Rights is not absolute - there are limitations to those rights found in s. 1, s. 24, and s. 33.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2015, 12:43:48 PM

Whatever happened to:

QuoteAsk not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"?

I believe I said that your duty to the state is equal, not superior, to the state's duty to you.

And if you're using quotes, quote correctly.  I said "excessive liberalism".  See safe spaces, microagressions, etc.  And remember that our Charter of Rights is not absolute - there are limitations to those rights found in s. 1, s. 24, and s. 33.

I was quoting directly from the bits you said you agreed with and highlighted it. 

"and the subordination of the individual to it"  was part of the quote you said you agreed with.  That is a long way off from ask not...  Once one starts talking about subordination to the state that is an indicia of fascism. 

Perhaps this is a case of you more carefully reading a statement before agreeing with it  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 26, 2015, 01:11:30 PM

Whatever happened to:

I was quoting directly from the bits you said you agreed with and highlighted it. 

"and the subordination of the individual to it"  was part of the quote you said you agreed with.  That is a long way off from ask not...  Once one starts talking about subordination to the state that is an indicia of fascism. 

Perhaps this is a case of you more carefully reading a statement before agreeing with it  ;)

Perhaps you should read a statement more carefully before criticizing it. :contract:

What I said was:

QuoteI (more or less) agree with a couple of those nine points

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2015, 12:05:34 AM
and he doesn't seem to be especially pro military or with an aggressive foreign policy.
https://deadline.com/2015/06/donald-trump-isis-bill-oreilly-jeb-bush-hillary-clinton-video-1201445840/
Quote"I say that you can defeat ISIS by taking their wealth," Trump told the Fox News Channel star. "Take back the oil. Once you go over and take back that oil, they have nothing. You bomb the hell out of them, and then you encircle it, and then you go in. And you let Mobil go in, and you let our great oil companies go in. Once you take that oil, they have nothing left."
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2015, 11:41:27 AM
Trump is not a fascist.

Fascism did have an identifiable political ideology, and was not merely synonymous with "bad right-wing politician".  Fascism believed in nationalism, but also believed in the national struggle.  That warfare did not weaken a country, but in fact would make it stronger, both socially and militarily.  Fascism believed in might makes right, and that the strong should dominate the weak. 

(obviously a definition in three lines is incomplete at best, but it's a good starting point)

What Trump is is a demagogue.  He has no identifiable political philosophy at all.  He gains attention by appealing to voters emotions, fears and prejudices.

Fascists were rather elastic with their beliefs and often intentionally vague.  Their policies were rarely coherent.  They did have some solid beliefs and Trump is hitting those notes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

He is

However, he is also, and more importantly, a troll.

The more he goes on the more I agree with the crazy theory that he's a democrat mole.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2015, 10:59:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2015, 10:51:39 AM
I'm a layman, but isn't, though the system may function similarly, Fascism rooted in national exceptionalism, whereas Communism pays at least lip service to the equality of races and nations?

Nationalist struggle in fascist countries can be substituted with class warfare in communist ones.

it's not without reason that communism is called red-lacquered fascism

mongers

Trump would certainly have an agressive foreign policy if he were made aware of just out expansionist your average Canadian is.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Ask not what your country can do to you, ask that they'd rather not do it, please.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2015, 12:42:21 AM
But I think a minimum qualification to qualify as a fascist is to replace democracy with a strong central government devoid of checks and balances and protected from bad election results. Or at least try to do so.
not many leaders today would try to do that at once.
But if you look at Chavez, Erdogan, Putin, they all were moving toward that.  Chavez died before completing his act.  The other two are still reshaping their countries into more authoritarian and less democratic nations.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2015, 01:19:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 26, 2015, 01:11:30 PM

Whatever happened to:

Perhaps you should read a statement more carefully before criticizing it. :contract:

What I said was:

QuoteI (more or less) agree with a couple of those nine points

Yeah and then you quoted the ones you agree with and one of those points contained the bit about subservience to the group.  ;)