News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey shoots down Russian fighter jet

Started by Barrister, November 24, 2015, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2015, 01:00:49 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 27, 2015, 12:57:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2015, 12:51:22 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 27, 2015, 05:15:02 AM
Does anyone like Turkey?

People here are unhappy that the genocidal militarists are not in power anymore.

We have a genocidal megalomaniac Islamist in power now.

:lol:  You guys keep saying that, what the examples of "Islamist" laws being passed?

The problem is that he is working from the same playbook the militarists were - including brutal press repression, corruption, electoral subversion, and his cynical pre-election assault on the Kurds.   At least the militarists traded power back and forth, in between the occasional coup.

I don't fault him for this episode though - the Russians repeatedly violated Turkish sovereignty, and were warned repeatedly, and elected to ignore the warnings.  It seems quite harsh in isolation but it didn't happen in isolation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 27, 2015, 11:50:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2015, 01:00:49 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 27, 2015, 12:57:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2015, 12:51:22 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 27, 2015, 05:15:02 AM
Does anyone like Turkey?

People here are unhappy that the genocidal militarists are not in power anymore.

We have a genocidal megalomaniac Islamist in power now.

:lol:  You guys keep saying that, what the examples of "Islamist" laws being passed?

The problem is that he is working from the same playbook the militarists were - including brutal press repression, corruption, electoral subversion, and his cynical pre-election assault on the Kurds.   At least the militarists traded power back and forth, in between the occasional coup.

I don't fault him for this episode though - the Russians repeatedly violated Turkish sovereignty, and were warned repeatedly, and elected to ignore the warnings.  It seems quite harsh in isolation but it didn't happen in isolation.

Since everyone is in favor of the militarists, then there is no problem.  He actually had pretty good relations with the Kurds for most of his run, he pandered to the fascists I mean, Kemalists this last election by waging war on the Kurds (though to be honest the suicide bombings from the Kurdish camp helped him quite a bit in that), so really Tamas and DG and the rest should be happy with the results.  I mean despite nearly a decade and half of "Islamist" rule in Turkey he failed to install Sharia law, women walk unveiled in the street and the government isn't publicly stoning people.  One wonders how this "Islamism", actually manifests itself.  Perhaps, the term "Islamist", is actually used by his political enemies and was picked up by the usual suspects in the West provoking untold hand-wringing among the more tolerate of us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

https://www.rt.com/news/324263-russia-briefing-isis-funding/

QuoteRussia says Turkish leadership involved in illegal oil trade with ISIS

Turkey's leadership, including President Erdogan and his family, is involved in illegal oil trade with Islamic State militants, says the Russian Defense Ministry, stressing that Turkey is the final destination for oil smuggled from Syria and Iraq.

According to Deputy Minister Anatoly Antonov, Russia is aware of three main oil smuggling routes to Turkey.

However, since the start of Russia's anti-terrorist operation in Syria on September 30, the income of Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS) militants from illegal oil smuggling has been significantly reduced, the ministry said.

"The income of this terrorist organization was about $3 million per day. After two months of Russian airstrikes their income was about $1.5 million a day," Lieutenant-General Sergey Rudskoy said.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 28, 2015, 12:47:57 AM
Since everyone is in favor of the militarists, then there is no problem.  He actually had pretty good relations with the Kurds for most of his run, he pandered to the fascists I mean, Kemalists this last election by waging war on the Kurds (though to be honest the suicide bombings from the Kurdish camp helped him quite a bit in that), so really Tamas and DG and the rest should be happy with the results.  I mean despite nearly a decade and half of "Islamist" rule in Turkey he failed to install Sharia law, women walk unveiled in the street and the government isn't publicly stoning people.  One wonders how this "Islamism", actually manifests itself.  Perhaps, the term "Islamist", is actually used by his political enemies and was picked up by the usual suspects in the West provoking untold hand-wringing among the more tolerate of us.

Do you actually like Erdogan or do you just despise DG and Tamas? I am having a hard time here and am having a hard time digesting your triumphant apologism. 'He loves the Kurds he is only waging war on them because of evil Kemalists' I mean WTF is that shit Raz? So therefore Erdogan is awesome and you support him?

Maybe I want to hear what you think and not bizarre rants about what 'everybody' thinks. Everybody can fucking speak for themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 10:08:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 28, 2015, 12:47:57 AM

Do you actually like Erdogan or do you just despise DG and Tamas? I am having a hard time here and am having a hard time digesting your triumphant apologism. 'He loves the Kurds he is only waging war on them because of evil Kemalists' I mean WTF is that shit Raz? So therefore Erdogan is awesome and you support him?

Maybe I want to hear what you think and not bizarre rants about what 'everybody' thinks. Everybody can fucking speak for themselves.

That's a rhetorical question right? Raz acts more and more like grumbler on meds.

Syt

I wonder what Turkey's move after the new allegations from Russia will be. Erdogan said he would step down if a connection between the Turkish government and ISIS oil trade was proven. Obviously he will reject any and all proof that will be presented, short of him driving an oil truck with IS markings across the border, but it's still an allegation that he can't just ignore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2015, 10:16:55 AM
That's a rhetorical question right? Raz acts more and more like grumbler on meds.

Fuck you, asshole.  That kind of chickenshit insult says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2015, 10:19:56 AM
I wonder what Turkey's move after the new allegations from Russia will be. Erdogan said he would step down if a connection between the Turkish government and ISIS oil trade was proven. Obviously he will reject any and all proof that will be presented, short of him driving an oil truck with IS markings across the border, but it's still an allegation that he can't just ignore.

not that I like the Russians, or rather the current Putin version, but I'd really really like it they can prove their allegations. Might focus the minds of a number of politicians regarding the fact that Turkey is not a friend of Europe. At best a temporary ally, more often a menace and a threat.

KRonn

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 02, 2015, 02:31:26 PM

not that I like the Russians, or rather the current Putin version, but I'd really really like it they can prove their allegations. Might focus the minds of a number of politicians regarding the fact that Turkey is not a friend of Europe. At best a temporary ally, more often a menace and a threat.

I can't really figure why Turkey's leadership is so adamant about wanting Assad out of power. They have to know that the strongest group will take power and that will be some form of radical entity. But then, the US and many in the West and Mid East also want Assad out. You'd think that by now with Libya, Yemen, Somalia and other failed states they'd realize Syria will become more a problem and a base for ISIS. Or maybe some of those nations want him out because he is secular and they'd rather take their chances with a more Islamic regime in power, though not ISIS. But that horse seems to have left the barn a long time ago.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on December 02, 2015, 02:37:05 PM

I can't really figure why Turkey's leadership is so adamant about wanting Assad out of power. They have to know that the strongest group will take power and that will be some form of radical entity. But then, the US and many in the West and Mid East also want Assad out. You'd think that by now with Libya, Yemen, Somalia and other failed states they'd realize Syria will become more a problem and a base for ISIS. Or maybe some of those nations want him out because he is secular and they'd rather take their chances with a more Islamic regime in power, though not ISIS. But that horse seems to have left the barn a long time ago.

Maybe they hope to make some land grab if there's anarchy?  Or maybe Assad pissed them off seriously because he's not enough of a fundamentalist?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

I think they were somewhat friendly with Assad, until they decided to support the uprising - being more sympathetic to the Sunni majority than to Assad's Alawites. After that, maybe it was an "all in" kind of situation.

Barrister

It's what they say about a "hell hath no fury like a Turk scorned".

Edrogan had tried a charm offensive for years with Assad.  Tried to open up relations and trade.  It was showing fruit.  But when the arab spring came about Edrogan really encouraged Assad to try and open up and liberalize.  Assad though went with terror and repression, and went back to his old mentors in Iran and Russia.

So, Edrogan supported the rebels.  This is part of why the Turks have been more neutral on ISIS - Assad is target #1 for them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2015, 05:34:52 PM

So, Edrogan supported the rebels.  This is part of why the Turks have been more neutral on ISIS - Assad is target #1 for them.

Kurds are also vying for target #1--probably are target #1 even--and they are also fighting ISIS.

Also, there are some rather extreme elements in Turkey like the Grey Wolves -- and those elements support Edrogan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on December 02, 2015, 05:45:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2015, 05:34:52 PM

Kurds are also vying for target #1--probably are target #1 even--and they are also fighting ISIS.

Also, there are some rather extreme elements in Turkey like the Grey Wolves -- and those elements support Edrogan.

The Grey Wolves are an offshoot of the fascists in Turkey, they don't support Erdogan.  They are generally counted as his enemies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017