News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey shoots down Russian fighter jet

Started by Barrister, November 24, 2015, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2015, 04:28:57 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2015, 04:28:04 PM
He did yoga?

Not in the Russia vs. Turkey WWIII thread.

Martinus kept asking me questions (last time excepted). Can I blame him?

I'm sorry if we made your war boner go limp.  :Embarrass:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2015, 04:28:57 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2015, 04:28:04 PM
He did yoga?

Not in the Russia vs. Turkey WWIII thread.

The guy could walk on water, I'm sure he could do yoga without one of those yoga mats (can we still call them yoga mats?).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

citizen k

Quote from: KRonn on November 24, 2015, 01:12:50 PM. I'm sure Russians will be pissed about it, heck I'm pretty pissed about it.

1980's KRonn is crying.  :weep:

HisMajestyBOB

Supposedly this is Russia's version of events:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

That's quite a sharp turn they took right before falling.  No wonder the pilots are dead, the g forces must've been into thousands.

Grinning_Colossus

Shooting pilots in their parachutes does seem rather dishonorable.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Duque de Bragança

Also forbidden by the Geneva convention IIRC, though I am not sure how well it applies here. Armed conflict, yes but not legitimate war with war declaration and clearly defined enemies.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2015, 02:55:28 PM

I gotta say, I know that Turkey is a NATO ally but I don't know which side I despise more.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way the Brits felt when the Nazis attacked the Poles in 1939.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 24, 2015, 07:31:50 PM
Also forbidden by the Geneva convention IIRC, though I am not sure how well it applies here. Armed conflict, yes but not legitimate war with war declaration and clearly defined enemies.

The GC doesn't require any of that.  It applied, for instance, to the Vietnam Wars.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/25/mideast-crisis-usa-france-idUSL8N13J5ER20151125

Quote[...]

A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters the United States believed the Russian jet was hit inside Syrian air space after a brief incursion into Turkish air space. The assessment was based on heat observed from the jet, the official said.

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 24, 2015, 03:38:17 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2015, 03:13:36 PM
I am very conflicted on this, especially as the Polish media have started a ritual dance cheering on the Turks already. I have no love for either Putin and Erdogan. I would have felt better about it if the pilots weren't massacred as a result - they probably were just some kids, who were on a bomb run against ISIS, and they paid with their lives because of two assholes posturing.

Sorry for going all pinko on this. :P

in an ideal world the Turks and Russians finish of each other, ending up with the Greeks and half of the Paradox-forums to reclaim what's left for Byzantium.
I call Attaleia.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Maladict

A Dutch tour operator is advertising trips to Turkey "now without Russian tourists!"

DGuller

Quote from: Maladict on November 26, 2015, 01:49:10 AM
A Dutch tour operator is advertising trips to Turkey "now without Russian tourists!"
:pinch:  :lmfao: