News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey shoots down Russian fighter jet

Started by Barrister, November 24, 2015, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 24, 2015, 12:20:41 PM
This is also being discussed over in the main ISIS thread btw.

As I said there, if that map is accurate then the Russian flight time in Turkish airspace can only have been a few seconds.

Think about all the favorite languish topics of discussion this touches on:

Erdogan
Putin
General Military Shit
ISIS
NATO

If it turns out one of the russian pilots was homosexual, this will be the holy grail of languish topics, and likely be mentioned in every thread we have.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Richard Hakluyt

Just so long as none of them took yoga classes, if that is the case then anything could happen.

KRonn

News is saying both Russian fighter bomber pilots are dead, shot at as they descending in parachutes. I heard audio of shooters on the ground yelling and shooting. Also video of the savages desecrating the body of at least one of the pilots. I'm sure Russians will be pissed about it, heck I'm pretty pissed about it. IMO Turkey needed to think this through, the implications, of a Russian plane briefly passing through their air space while maneuvering for bombing runs. Was it really a threat to Turkey that they needed to respond with lethal force? And what may result from a shoot down. Now the Russians certainly will want to respond in kind.

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 24, 2015, 12:41:16 PM
Just so long as none of them took yoga classes, if that is the case then anything could happen.

A Russian colleague of mine (based in Moscow) discovered I was taking yoga classes a while back. She couldn't wrap her head around a straight guy doing yoga. I think she eventually decided I was only there to perv on the women in the class.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on November 24, 2015, 01:12:50 PM
News is saying both Russian fighter bomber pilots are dead, shot at as they descending in parachutes. I heard audio of shooters on the ground yelling and shooting. Also video of the savages desecrating the body of at least one of the pilots. I'm sure Russians will be pissed about it, heck I'm pretty pissed about it. IMO Turkey needed to think this through, the implications, of a Russian plane briefly passing through their air space while maneuvering for bombing runs. Was it really a threat to Turkey that they needed to respond with lethal force? And what may result from a shoot down. Now the Russians certainly will want to respond in kind.

It is possible the guys on the ground were not under Turkish control. I haven't taken the time to develop a comprehensive list, but in my preliminary rankings of "places I don't want to parachute into", Northern Syria is quite high at the moment.

Razgovory

Great, it looks like they fell in the territory of the rebels we've been helping.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on November 24, 2015, 01:12:50 PM
Sometimes you have to drive the point home that you're a sovereign nation.  Russians seemed to have a very fluid understanding of other countries' borders lately.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 01:23:07 PM
Great, it looks like they fell in the territory of the rebels we've been helping.

I don't think anyone is deluded into thinking there are "good guy" factions with western european / american values to support.

But, while strategically important and significant, in some ways turkey is the most unfortunate nato member.

Solmyr

Yeah, and the ones Russia was bombing.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2015, 01:33:39 PM

I don't think anyone is deluded into thinking there are "good guy" factions with western european / american values to support.

But, while strategically important and significant, in some ways turkey is the most unfortunate nato member.

I dunno - they're probably the most useful member after the US, and maybe France.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Some pro-Western Russian bloggers are writing that this has caught Kremlin totally off-guard, and Putin has not made a statement for hours after the incident (which is usually a sign of him being unprepared). Compare to the Paris attacks when Putin offered condolences very quickly. Also, this essentially calls Putin's nuclear bluff; the rhetoric for the home audience has been "we'll turn the US into nuclear waste if there is a conflict with NATO", and now it will be shown to be so many empty words.

mongers

Erdogan got the Russian scalp he was looking for?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Quote from: KRonn on November 24, 2015, 01:12:50 PMNow the Russians certainly will want to respond in kind.

Putin will certainly give the Turkmen rebels a lot of extra attention via the Russian air force from now on.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

KRonn

Quote from: Solmyr on November 24, 2015, 01:38:56 PM

Yeah, and the ones Russia was bombing.

Here's my take on things. I doubt if the guys the US/West has been helping are much better than ISIS, including the guys who shot up Russkie pilots. If they were to get control of Syria I have to assume it'll be their brand of extremism. A few years ago when the Syrian civil war started and ISIS and other radicals supposedly weren't as big a part of the opposition to Assad, then maybe there were actually "moderates" in force and a good reason to support them. But even then the US claim was that we couldn't tell who was who so didn't do much. Now that so many more rebels of the extremist persuasion have joined the cause, now we seem to be a lot more active in arming rebels and continued insistence on ousting Assad. I figure once he goes then Syria becomes another Libya or Yemen, failed state.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2015, 12:21:23 PM
I assume this was a 'straw that broke the camel's back' situation. That is, that the Russians were needling the Turks with violations, until the Turks basically said 'next time they do it, then POW!'.

Apparently Russia had been violating Turkish airspace for well over a month already, and there had been previous incidents which didn't come to light when Turkish jets had to scramble because of Russian planes entering, as well as unidentified Migs (either Russian or Syrian) harassing Turkish jets. This is the first incident with real firepower involved, though.