News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oxford's Word of the Year 2015 is...

Started by Liep, November 17, 2015, 09:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

QuoteThat's right – for the first time ever, the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is a pictograph: , officially called the 'Face with Tears of Joy' emoji, though you may know it by other names. There were other strong contenders from a range of fields, outlined below, but was chosen as the 'word' that best reflected the ethos, mood, and preoccupations of 2015.

:lmfao: :hmm:  :jaron:

EDIT: The contenders were: ad blocker, Brexit, Dark Web, on fleek, lumbersexual, refugee, sharing economy, they (singular).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Singular they is a horrible idea, this nonword is vastly preferable.

Does a lumbersexual get turned on by large amounts of wood?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 09:56:21 AM

You must have them over there too, it's city folks growing a beard and wearing quilted jackets thinking it makes them look outdoors-y.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Speaking of lumbersexuals, I saw a guy wearing skinny cargo pants.  :x

Josquius

I've never heard of a lumbersexual.

And yet again this is a story I originally read as a joke.  Wow
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'd rather be a "they" than a "she".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 17, 2015, 10:09:09 AM

I'd rather be a "they" than a "she".

Multiple-personality disorder is not a pretty thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on November 17, 2015, 09:58:46 AM

You must have them over there too, it's city folks growing a beard and wearing quilted jackets thinking it makes them look outdoors-y.

Ok but what does that have to do with sexuality?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

:D 

Eddie Teach

Jackets are a rarity around these parts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Speaking of men grooming failures, there is nothing I hate more than a samurai style ponytail some men are sporting these days. Combined with a (usually unkempt) beard, this looks disgusting.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on November 17, 2015, 11:41:55 AM
Speaking of men grooming failures, there is nothing I hate more than a samurai style ponytail some men are sporting these days. Combined with a (usually unkempt) beard, this looks disgusting.
Ponytails are out. Man buns are in.

If you can't grow one, buy one.