And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 03:44:18 PM
Why should an atheist be suicidal? It's the theist who is the plaything of a powerful, capricious being.

Because his living body and and his dead one have the exactly the same intrinsic value.

Is this the answer? I just cleared my calendar and was about to resign my job and stock up on food and toilet paper so I could devote 3 months to properly contemplate this, but I guess I don't need to anymore. Thanks Raz!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

You can live 3 months without toilet paper.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on November 22, 2015, 04:37:53 PM
Why should an atheist be suicidal? It's the theist who is the plaything of a powerful, capricious being.

Because his living body and and his dead one have the exactly the same intrinsic value.

Is this the answer? I just cleared my calendar and was about to resign my job and stock up on food and toilet paper so I could devote 3 months to properly contemplate this, but I guess I don't need to anymore. Thanks Raz!

No, you don't need to clear your calendar.  You just need to keep in your mind at every waking hour.  At work, at home, in the morning, at night, all the time.  Imagine being in an elevator for all eternity.  Imagine your desperation to get out, and how you can't.  Imagine screaming, clawing at the door, imagine crying. Imagine your own skull, old and dry and yellowing.  Imagine that all you ever were in confines of that funny little bone.  Imagine how people walking by it not giving it a second thought.  Imagine the atoms of your body floating in space billions of years from now all floating separately across the cosmos for eternity.  Now think about those things at least every half hour for three months no matter what else you are doing.  Good luck!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Yes, thank God for the sweet release of Death.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 22, 2015, 04:37:53 PM

No, you don't need to clear your calendar.  You just need to keep in your mind at every waking hour.  At work, at home, in the morning, at night, all the time.  Imagine being in an elevator for all eternity.  Imagine your desperation to get out, and how you can't.  Imagine screaming, clawing at the door, imagine crying. Imagine your own skull, old and dry and yellowing.  Imagine that all you ever were in confines of that funny little bone.  Imagine how people walking by it not giving it a second thought.  Imagine the atoms of your body floating in space billions of years from now all floating separately across the cosmos for eternity.  Now think about those things at least every half hour for three months no matter what else you are doing.  Good luck!

Is it okay if I imagine that there is a really cute lady stuck in this elevator with me?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Nope.  Actually you should totally not do what I just said.  It's a very, very bad idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 04:16:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 04:11:44 PM
They kill themselves because they're unhappy and don't enjoy the experience of living.

Bingo.  Now pain and unhappiness don't happen to dead people in the materialist viewpoint and because life has no intrinsic value it is better to be dead then to be unhappy or in pain particularly if you don't see a way alleviate those circumstances.
You could have an intrinsic feeling of empathy, and imagine how your suicide will affect the people you know.  You could also have the intrinsic feeling of self-preservation, and just not actively fight it.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 03:52:24 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 22, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Your above-stated concerns about oblivion should, if anything, keep an atheist from every contemplating suicide.

Then you really haven't thought enough about the subject.  Go ahead, think about it some.  Think about it for three months straight and come back and tell what you think.

I am no stranger to existential anxiety, believe me. Those episodes invariably lead me to look for ways to cheat death. Existence is infinitely better than the alternative; There's no room for hope in oblivion.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

mongers

I'd guess most of the people killed the Friday before last had some notion about the meaning in their lives/of life, but seems to me people with a distaste for lives that are different or that they couldn't appreciate took it away from them.

It's rumoured those that carried out the slaughter believed in an all powerful, compassionate god.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2015, 05:40:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 04:16:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 04:11:44 PM
They kill themselves because they're unhappy and don't enjoy the experience of living.

Bingo.  Now pain and unhappiness don't happen to dead people in the materialist viewpoint and because life has no intrinsic value it is better to be dead then to be unhappy or in pain particularly if you don't see a way alleviate those circumstances.
You could have an intrinsic feeling of empathy, and imagine how your suicide will affect the people you know.  You could also have the intrinsic feeling of self-preservation, and just not actively fight it.

Yes, but those are still subjective feelings.  Chemical reactions. Are they objectively worth anything?  Not really.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 22, 2015, 05:51:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 03:52:24 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 22, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Your above-stated concerns about oblivion should, if anything, keep an atheist from every contemplating suicide.

Then you really haven't thought enough about the subject.  Go ahead, think about it some.  Think about it for three months straight and come back and tell what you think.

I am no stranger to existential anxiety, believe me. Those episodes invariably lead me to look for ways to cheat death. Existence is infinitely better than the alternative; There's no room for hope in oblivion.

There is no room for hope, period.  You will die.  The Earth will die.  All free energy will die.  There's a reason why there's a link between suicide and atheism.  It's why I want to believe in a God.  It is a hope, however slim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory