News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2015, 08:56:57 PM

:hmm: Okay, I may have been wrong, maybe you in particular do not need to look any more inward.

It might be extend this courtesy to the general rather then the particular.  And perhaps as a warning don't look inward much toward your own religious views that you were so fortunate to bestowed on you.  From where I sit an Atheist who isn't at least vaguely suicidal is a bit of a poser.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

Your above-stated concerns about oblivion should, if anything, keep an atheist from every contemplating suicide.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

Why should an atheist be suicidal? It's the theist who is the plaything of a powerful, capricious being.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 22, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Your above-stated concerns about oblivion should, if anything, keep an atheist from every contemplating suicide.

Then you really haven't thought enough about the subject.  Go ahead, think about it some.  Think about it for three months straight and come back and tell what you think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Dang! I'm already on a three month think about how kamikazes weren't suicide bombers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 03:44:18 PM
Why should an atheist be suicidal? It's the theist who is the plaything of a powerful, capricious being.

Because his living body and and his dead one have the exactly the same intrinsic value.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 03:35:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2015, 08:56:57 PM

:hmm: Okay, I may have been wrong, maybe you in particular do not need to look any more inward.

It might be extend this courtesy to the general rather then the particular.  And perhaps as a warning don't look inward much toward your own religious views that you were so fortunate to bestowed on you.  From where I sit an Atheist who isn't at least vaguely suicidal is a bit of a poser.

And they call you crazy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2015, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 03:44:18 PM

Because his living body and and his dead one have the exactly the same intrinsic value.

The dead body can be used for food, lampshades and soap.

Eddie Teach

If that's so, why make an effort to change its state?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 04:05:25 PM

If that's so, why make an effort to change its state?

Ask yourself why people kill themselves and you have your answer.

Eddie Teach

They kill themselves because they're unhappy and don't enjoy the experience of living. Nobody kills themselves because life is "meaningless". Expressing oneself like that is a symptom, not a cause.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 04:11:44 PM
They kill themselves because they're unhappy and don't enjoy the experience of living.

Bingo.  Now pain and unhappiness don't happen to dead people in the materialist viewpoint and because life has no intrinsic value it is better to be dead then to be unhappy or in pain particularly if you don't see a way alleviate those circumstances.

Eddie Teach

So then the atheists who aren't suicidal- perhaps they're just not unhappy?

The Brain

Value is more important than intrinsic value.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2015, 04:20:54 PM
So then the atheists who aren't suicidal- perhaps they're just not unhappy?

Yet.  Once you take a serious look at the void, you become unhappy.  Hence my original statement.  Anyone who claims to be an atheist without being a little suicidal is something of a poser.  The Euphoric Fedora crowd.  Quite a few philosophers spilled a lot of ink on why you shouldn't kill yourself in an uncaring universe.  That was like half of Sarte's output.