News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 07:25:12 PM
I don't understand the ISIS thinking of wanting to keep pushing the West until we are prodded into taking a firm stance against them. It doesn't appear to be a war they are equipped to win.

They are a minority within the muslim world, but if the West goes OTT then maybe the ISIS view can gain mass acceptance within that world.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 14, 2015, 07:28:12 PM
I don't understand the ISIS thinking of wanting to keep pushing the West until we are prodded into taking a firm stance against them. It doesn't appear to be a war they are equipped to win.

They are a minority within the muslim world, but if the West goes OTT then maybe the ISIS view can gain mass acceptance within that world.

If that was the goal, wouldn't it make more sense to I don't know not be so antagonistic to the local Muslim populations where they are operating? Just hoping everyone will forget their brutality in the face of destruction caused by the West?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

i think it's just angry backlash without much thought. "you mess with us and we'll strike back, no matter who it is."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 14, 2015, 07:38:14 PM
i think it's just angry backlash without much thought. "you mess with us and we'll strike back, no matter who it is."

I think it is an effort to comply with Allah's will, to make war on those not already in the House of Submission.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 07:31:58 PM

If that was the goal, wouldn't it make more sense to I don't know not be so antagonistic to the local Muslim populations where they are operating? Just hoping everyone will forget their brutality in the face of destruction caused by the West?

Their prophesies literally say that they will be on the brink of defeat against the West when Allah will swoop down and save them. I'm willing to go along with the first part and take my chances on the second.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 07:22:28 PM
Who is incredibly angry? :huh:

Yeah I did not think garbon and I were even slightly rude to each other. It was a nice discussion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 14, 2015, 07:48:43 PM

Their prophesies literally say that they will be on the brink of defeat against the West when Allah will swoop down and save them. I'm willing to go along with the first part and take my chances on the second.

Actually Jesus is going to. Man will that be a shocker.

Tonitrus

Well, their land grab in Syria/Iraq was a very nice coup on their part...but I have a feeling they'll be just as happy as a typical underground terrorist whack-a-mole group operating at large in the ME and Europe.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 14, 2015, 08:29:45 PM

Well, their land grab in Syria/Iraq was a very nice coup on their part...but I have a feeling they'll be just as happy as a typical underground terrorist whack-a-mole group operating at large in the ME and Europe.

No they could never operate that way. Their existence depends on territory to control.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 08:56:01 PM

No they could never operate that way. Their existence depends on territory to control.

I think you're wrong...but I'm not going to be all Languish about it.   :P

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 14, 2015, 09:11:27 PM
I think you're wrong...but I'm not going to be all Languish about it.   :P

Well here is hoping we have a chance to test your theory.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 08:56:01 PM

You are correct.  They can't out al-Qaeda al-Qaeda, they have to be the Islamic State or they are nothing.  That's both the key to their success, and their great weakness.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 14, 2015, 07:48:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 07:31:58 PM

If you replace Allah with God then it fits with a lot of fundamentalist North American apocalyptic nonsense too  ;)