News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Easy Zanza, if you want your posts to be taken seriously once in a while, much more so if you want to play the Politisch Korrekt game, do not indulge in crass oversimplified generalisations out of ignorance when you actually want to appear as culturally sensitive. This goes for all Gutmenschen btw. :)

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 06:32:12 PM
The kind of person who would decide all brown people are terrorists is rather a binary equation.

But it isn't just that. There's the degrees of being afraid of a brown person, or someone wearing a turban, even if you aren't at the stage of all brown people are terrorists. Hell, there is even just the basic stance of being negatively predisposed against brown people.

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 06:32:12 PM
It makes a great deal of difference. Many people say angry things online. But when a person who fits the profile of 90% of the people who take those angry things and turn them into mass shootings do so I think that justifies some extra vigilance.

Surely whether or not a threat is credible hangs more on just one's skin color?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Has the cumulative outrage on the net to other peoples reaction to attacks, already overtaken the outrage at the attacks themselves?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 06:35:58 PM

No angry lonely and politically extreme are more important. Likewise I don't think we should be monitoring every single Islamic monday morning lady's tea group but ones who fit the profile.

Anyway was this quoted in this thread? Sounds like ISIS kind of thinking:

I think he is on to something here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2015, 06:39:26 PM
Has the cumulative outrage on the net to other peoples reaction to attacks, already overtaken the outrage at the attacks themselves?

It is the culture war it is what we do. Saying mean things is far worse than doing mean things, because mean things said appear on our social media streams.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Why can't we all just get along and agree that Portugal is a failed state  :P

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 06:41:42 PM

It is the culture war it is what we do. Saying mean things is far worse than doing mean things, because mean things said appear on our social media streams.

Oh I get that. 

But maybe a few of the extremists out there have been 'radicalised' by the polarisation of on-line debates/discussions ?

What have we had so far in these two threads about the attacks;
Garbon-Liep
Duque-Zanza
Valmy-Garbon
The tones of which are oddly virulent, given the broadly similar shared cultural values most of us have on Languish.

Richard Hakluyt

Languish at least still has arguments.

On other parts of the net it is just a matter of echo-chamber signalling and agreement.............or any disagreement is over minute points of protocol  :hmm:

I'm concerned that humanity may genuinely be too stupid to use the internet without getting incredibly angry about minor differences. perhaps that is why we have not made contact with alien civilisations........once they invent the internet they only last 50 years or so before collapsing.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 14, 2015, 06:59:40 PM
Languish at least still has arguments.

On other parts of the net it is just a matter of echo-chamber signalling and agreement.............or any disagreement is over minute points of protocol  :hmm:

I'm concerned that humanity may genuinely be too stupid to use the internet without getting incredibly angry about minor differences. perhaps that is why we have not made contact with alien civilisations........once they invent the internet they only last 50 years or so before collapsing.

Yeah, I've thought along those lines more than once Tricky, the hyper intelligent race in 'Forbidden Planet' who invent a machine for mass telepathic communication and die out within days comes to mind.

Fancy a beer instead?  :bowler:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2015, 06:52:22 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 06:41:42 PM

Oh I get that. 

But maybe a few of the extremists out there have been 'radicalised' by the polarisation of on-line debates/discussions ?

Garbon-Liep
Duque-Zanza
Valmy-Garbon
The tones of which are oddly virulent, given the broadly similar shared cultural values most of us have on Languish.

Why are you so negative? Raz actually behaved well today.

Richard Hakluyt

The babel-fish also comes to mind.

I'll have a pint of Fuller's ESB thanks  :bowler:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2015, 06:52:22 PM

Garbon-Liep

?

A discussion about how much offense various cultures should or shouldn't take from a lash out against religion is hardly a cultural war. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 06:40:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 06:35:58 PM

No angry lonely and politically extreme are more important. Likewise I don't think we should be monitoring every single Islamic monday morning lady's tea group but ones who fit the profile.

Angry lonely tea groups? :P

garbon

I don't understand the ISIS thinking of wanting to keep pushing the West until we are prodded into taking a firm stance against them. It doesn't appear to be a war they are equipped to win.