Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 11:43:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 11:38:52 AM
That's why I prefer casting spells.  :ph34r:

My mana pool is too low.

I noticed it helps when you drink a lot before.  :cheers:

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2015, 11:08:02 AM
BTW this is the weakest point in the act of praying. Twist it how you want, it means you think you are able to influence omnipotent God to change his mind.

I mean I KNOW in reality its a psychological thing to feel less out of control with what's happening in your life, but I mean the ideology put around it.
People believe what they want to believe.
So long as they leave us out of their lifestyle, I'm ok with it.  Doesn't matter what I think of the subject. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2015, 11:56:42 AM
People believe what they want to believe.
So long as they leave us out of their lifestyle, I'm ok with it.  Doesn't matter what I think of the subject. 

It doesn't really matter what any of us think on any subject. Yet we still jabber on about things around here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 11:44:29 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 11:43:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 11:38:52 AM
That's why I prefer casting spells.  :ph34r:

My mana pool is too low.

I noticed it helps when you drink a lot before.  :cheers:

Eh I am more of a social drinker.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

BTW this is the weakest point in the act of praying. Twist it how you want, it means you think you are able to influence omnipotent God to change his mind.

Well, if you believe in free will, it should follow that God will sometimes treat you differently depending on what choices you have made.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 12:14:53 PM

Well, if you believe in free will, it should follow that God will sometimes treat you differently depending on what choices you have made.

If there is such a thing as free will then in what circumstances would God ever intervene?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 12:36:22 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 12:14:53 PM

If there is such a thing as free will then in what circumstances would God ever intervene?

When God wanted to? I guess I don't understand the deep theological question at hand.

Duque de Bragança

So the guy who rented his squat to the terrorists killed or apprehended this morning did it only to do a favour to somebody, through friends, since he did not know those he rented to. Claims he would have not rented it to terrorists if he knew they were.  :hmm:
Later on, it emerged that the man who rented the place to terrorists had killed his best friend who tried to restrain it some years ago in a dispute about a cell phone possibly stolen by somebody else. Surrendered to the police, convicted to 8 years, only did 6 since he was released early for good behaviour  :hmm:

http://www.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/video/il-a-prete-son-appartement-aux-terroristes-je-ne-savais-pas-698618.html
French link, no subtitles sorry, with a video of the guy answering the journo's questions.

Another "local" from Saint-Denis speaking about the assault in some bad French and trying to keep the niqab at all times. News channel claimed it was to protect her. It's not like they could not have blurred her :lmfao:

http://bcove.me/4p361doy

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 08:04:58 AM
I suspect you wouldn't have used the term "Eastern European authoritarian worldviews" if you had been talking to someone who wasn't an Eastern European.
:huh:  there are tens of millions of Eastern Europeans. To discuss "Eastern European authoritarian worldviews" isn't to single out any one of them (and, in fact, it doesn't even apply to many of them).  So, how is noting that Martinus appears to share a "Eastern European authoritarian worldview" an "argument to the man?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 09:58:29 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 09:16:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 07:28:34 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 07:23:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 07:22:31 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 07:21:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 07:09:24 AM
I will reiterate - freedom of speech and expression are not universal human rights, they are civil/political rights. They are meant for participants in the public life of the polity, allowing them to exchange ideas. Someone who is not a member of the polity can have these rights restricted as the polity sees fit.

Moreover, limiting the right of expressing views that directly attack the fundamental principles of the polity (such as, for example, expressing totalitarian or fundamentalist views in a polity built around the principles of pluralism) is not just the right, but the duty of the polity. One of the most misguided ideas of certain portions of modern left is that one should tolerate intolerance.

I'm sorta wondering why you think you get to establish which rights are human rights and which are civil rights. Your Eastern European authoritarian worldviews are not really compatible with Western values.  Maybe you should sit this one out and learn a little bit about what the West values and how it sees individual rights before you start spouting here about what is and isn't a civil or human right and what those rights are "meant" to do.

Ah, typical grumbler, only capable of spouting ad homs.

Ad hom.  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

The irony, of course, is that your response is itself an ad hom, while mine was not.

Really?  :lol: Your post was nothing but an ad hom - it included nothing but insults against my character, ethnicity and culture of origin.

I think he is covering for the fact he missed the distinction between human rights and political rights  :whistle:

Is "he" grumbler or I?   :hmm:

Grumbles
I think that you miss the distinction in western civilization between human rights and political rights.  Check out the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  It will clarify the difference between human rights (what the Charter calls "Fundamental Freedoms") and political rights ("Democratic Rights" in the Charter).

If you ever want to practice law in Canada, you should probably know the difference.  :whistle:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 12:51:47 PM
:huh:  there are tens of millions of Eastern Europeans. To discuss "Eastern European authoritarian worldviews" isn't to single out any one of them (and, in fact, it doesn't even apply to many of them).  So, how is noting that Martinus appears to share a "Eastern European authoritarian worldview" an "argument to the man?"

I didn't say it was. I was just nitpicking the bit about how you would have said the same thing to anyone.  :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 12:57:57 AM
So, apparently, all European league football games this week are starting with a minute of silence for the victims.

In two games so far supporters of Turkey and Bosnia-Hercegovina, respectively, ignored that by whistling and shouting "Allahu Akbar". garbon will tell us if this is more or less classy than Charlie Hebdo...

So apparently, when asking someone who speaks turkish (danish professor) it was clarified that its normal in turkey to sing and shout to honour the dead and that they sang "Sehitler ölmez, vatan bölünmez" which is a right wing chant for martyrs or something.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 12:58:28 PM
I didn't say it was. I was just nitpicking the bit about how you would have said the same thing to anyone.  :homestar:
Ah.  All good then.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Ugh. Where did you hear that garbage from Marty?