News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I would say that generally any event where admission is open to the general public (even if you need a ticket to enter) is a public event. Private events would be events by invitation only.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 07:36:09 AM
Really?  :lol:  You have that much trouble with comprehending English?  Re-read what i wrote and see if it applies to what you said, or who you are.  in other words, could I logically have said the same to someone else posting the same nonsense you did?

I suspect you wouldn't have used the term "Eastern European authoritarian worldviews" if you had been talking to someone who wasn't an Eastern European.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 07:52:20 AM
I would say that generally any event where admission is open to the general public (even if you need a ticket to enter) is a public event. Private events would be events by invitation only.
With regards to limitations of freedom of expression, that definition is not helpful though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 07:28:34 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 07:23:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 07:22:31 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 07:21:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 07:09:24 AM
I will reiterate - freedom of speech and expression are not universal human rights, they are civil/political rights. They are meant for participants in the public life of the polity, allowing them to exchange ideas. Someone who is not a member of the polity can have these rights restricted as the polity sees fit.

Moreover, limiting the right of expressing views that directly attack the fundamental principles of the polity (such as, for example, expressing totalitarian or fundamentalist views in a polity built around the principles of pluralism) is not just the right, but the duty of the polity. One of the most misguided ideas of certain portions of modern left is that one should tolerate intolerance.

I'm sorta wondering why you think you get to establish which rights are human rights and which are civil rights. Your Eastern European authoritarian worldviews are not really compatible with Western values.  Maybe you should sit this one out and learn a little bit about what the West values and how it sees individual rights before you start spouting here about what is and isn't a civil or human right and what those rights are "meant" to do.

Ah, typical grumbler, only capable of spouting ad homs.

Ad hom.  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

The irony, of course, is that your response is itself an ad hom, while mine was not.

Really?  :lol: Your post was nothing but an ad hom - it included nothing but insults against my character, ethnicity and culture of origin.

I think he is covering for the fact he missed the distinction between human rights and political rights  :whistle:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 18, 2015, 07:51:52 AM
Quote from: Zanza on November 18, 2015, 07:45:57 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 18, 2015, 07:39:03 AM

The two are not mutually exclusive.
Maybe "public" doesn't mean what I think it means in this context due to me not being a native speaker. Public to me is the public space, i.e. on the street like a demonstration or so. Private means it is within a privately owned premise, i.e. a football stadium. So a football game would be a private event.

Yes, i was wondering if the German equivalent had a more restrictive usage.

The definition given here is how I have understood the term :

http://definitions.uslegal.com/p/public-event/

Yeah, the football game is a bad example in the Common law tradition because it is a match which is generally open to the public in the sense that anyone in the public can buy a ticket to attend.  A private event is one that is not generally open to the public and one must have some form of special status to attend like being a member or being specially invited.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 09:16:03 AM
I will reiterate - freedom of speech and expression are not universal human rights, they are civil/political rights. They are meant for participants in the public life of the polity, allowing them to exchange ideas. Someone who is not a member of the polity can have these rights restricted as the polity sees fit.

Moreover, limiting the right of expressing views that directly attack the fundamental principles of the polity (such as, for example, expressing totalitarian or fundamentalist views in a polity built around the principles of pluralism) is not just the right, but the duty of the polity. One of the most misguided ideas of certain portions of modern left is that one should tolerate intolerance.

I'm sorta wondering why you think you get to establish which rights are human rights and which are civil rights. Your Eastern European authoritarian worldviews are not really compatible with Western values.  Maybe you should sit this one out and learn a little bit about what the West values and how it sees individual rights before you start spouting here about what is and isn't a civil or human right and what those rights are "meant" to do.

Ad hom.  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

The irony, of course, is that your response is itself an ad hom, while mine was not.

Really?  :lol: Your post was nothing but an ad hom - it included nothing but insults against my character, ethnicity and culture of origin.

I think he is covering for the fact he missed the distinction between human rights and political rights  :whistle:

Is "he" grumbler or I?   :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 09:58:29 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 09:16:03 AM

Is "he" grumbler or I?   :hmm:

Grumbles

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 17, 2015, 06:43:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2015, 05:48:29 PM

When Americans say something like "you are in our prayers" or "we are praying for you" in response to a tragedy, they do not mean that they are literally asking God to come down from heaven to solve your problems - any more than someone saying "bless you" after a sneeze literally thinks that you require a blessing because you sneezed.

All it means, basically, is that "you have our sympathies" as expressed by someone who takes religious idiom for granted.

I really don't think one and two are really comparable. I know if I say "I'm praying for you" due to some tragedy, I will literally pray for them. I don't think I am unusual in that.

Are you literally asking God to solve their problems? And do you expect him to do so?

If so, I think you are rather unusual in that respect. Most Americans I know are willing to use the terminology, but have no such expectations.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah when people say 'I will keep you in my prayers' I know they are just being polite.

My grandmother, who really did pray to grant me divine assistance, would pray first and then let me know later on what she had asked for. But even some Euros had that Grandmother.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Now euros, if a southerner says "bless your heart", it's a polite way to tell you to fuck off.

#y'all
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Latest news about the Saint-Denis police operation.

French police conducted a pre-dawn raid on an apartment in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis on Wednesday following a tip-off that suspected Paris attacks mastermind Abdelhamid Abaaoud might be at the location, according to chief prosecutor François Molins.

http://www.france24.com/en/20151117-live-france-pounds-raqqa-investigation-europe-belgium

So the "Belgian" Abdelhamid Abaaoud was not there, according to the last reports.
Seems it was another cell planning attacks in La Défense Business district, home also of major shopping centre, or another shopping centre in Aubervilliers to the N.E of Paris, just outside the "périphérique extérieur" ring road.

QuoteFrench investigators said Tuesday that they were looking for a second suspect in the attacks after video footage confirmed that there were three men in a car used during the shootings at bars and restaurants in the city.

Still two hunted terrorists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 10:06:07 AM

Are you literally asking God to solve their problems? And do you expect him to do so?

If so, I think you are rather unusual in that respect. Most Americans I know are willing to use the terminology, but have no such expectations.

Sometimes I'm specific, sometimes a more general "look out for so and so". You can't have expectations of God, all you can do is hope.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2015, 10:28:49 AM

Sometimes I'm specific, sometimes a more general "look out for so and so". You can't have expectations of God, all you can do is hope.

On what basis do you think God chooses those who will get divine aid and those that can just suffer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 10:57:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2015, 10:28:49 AM

On what basis do you think God chooses those who will get divine aid and those that can just suffer.

By if enough people send up their pray power of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

I don't claim to be able to understand his plan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point