Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2015, 04:42:36 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 17, 2015, 02:32:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2015, 10:04:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2015, 04:55:43 PM
Blair is a good example - his strong religious beliefs were actually kept under wraps during his term in the office, because it would have been a huge detriment among voters.

Well, it is notoriously anti-Catholic country.
Not particularly.

Yeah, I mean it's not like the British starved out a million Catholic Irish or had a holiday were they burned the Pope in effigy.  Or maybe you just agree with people like Dawkins who say it's the "second most evil religion" so you don't see it as Anti-Catholicism.

Careful, you're close to pulling a Viper.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 04:32:22 PM
Ok first of all the attack just occurred. I do not even know the names of any of the first responders who were involved in this thing at all. It is way too soon to make sweeping judgments on all of western civilization and its media and its treatment of this man. Further their only source for this story appears to be the Wall Street Journal, a pretty major newspaper. They claim that nobody cares but they know damn well lots of people care a great deal and would eagerly celebrate a first responder who acted courageously as they claim. That is why they tweeted this in the first place. The false story they invented for outrage fodder was that nobody cared because he was a Muslim and every media outlet hates Muslims and was trying to cover it up. Completely ridiculous.

Off all the things to get all worked up about, you pick this?

garbon

What is up with everyone telling everyone else if they are worked up, or angry, or hostile, all of the time lately? What ever happened to mild disdain?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 05:31:13 PM
What is up with everyone telling everyone else if they are worked up, or angry, or hostile, all of the time lately? What ever happened to mild disdain?

Mild distain is *your* schtick.  :contract:

Personally, I'm worked up, angry and hostile that you do it!

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 17, 2015, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2015, 05:05:37 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2015, 04:49:46 PM
I know the Americans meant well with the whole praying thing so I don't get the outcry BUT you do seem unable to understand the European viewpoint:

In Europe unless you are seriously religious, Christianity is A religion. So it seems obvious that when a religiously motivated massacre happens, you don't necessarily want to mention praying.

Now obviously Americans are more accustomed to the thought/general social consensus of Christianity being THE religion, so this doesn't compute for them.

It doesn't seem at all obvious to me.  You have to be a retard to think all religious people are evil.  If the Dalai Lama or the Pope showed up in Paris to demonstrate support should people pelt them with rocks or run in terror?  That would be psychotic.  But that's exactly the kind of reaction these various analogies are suggesting.

Well, I don't know about the Pope, but here's what the Dalai Lama had to say about praying for Paris:

QuoteWe cannot solve this problem only through prayers. I am a Buddhist and I believe in praying. But humans have created this problem, and now we are asking God to solve it. It is illogical. God would say, solve it yourself because you created it in the first place.

We need a systematic approach to foster humanistic values, of oneness and harmony. If we start doing it now, there is hope that this century will be different from the previous one. It is in everybody's interest. So let us work for peace within our families and society, and not expect help from God, Buddha or the governments.

:cool:

If this is in response to the American kerfuffle, it is pretty tone deaf on the part of the Dalai Lama.

When Americans say something like "you are in our prayers" or "we are praying for you" in response to a tragedy, they do not mean that they are literally asking God to come down from heaven to solve your problems - any more than someone saying "bless you" after a sneeze literally thinks that you require a blessing because you sneezed.

All it means, basically, is that "you have our sympathies" as expressed by someone who takes religious idiom for granted. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 04:59:16 PM

Not even close.  This is just Tyr's normal nonsense when talking about religions.  Like how nice it is that the indigenous beliefs of the Japanese, Buddhism, is persevered.  A great deal of Britain's identity is based around opposition to Catholics.  First as rebellion by a murderous tyrant, then as a part of Protestantism, and finally as an element of modern secularism.  In modern Britain it comes from both left and right and is deeply ingrained in the British character.  It's not as bad as was during the Troubles but it is very telling that the Prime Minister had to hide his religion to be elected.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 05:31:13 PM

Do you think Valmy's statement is best described as showing "mild disdain"? I think "worked up" is more accurate. Even if we leave it at "picking out as being worth noting" it still strikes me as a somewhat odd choice to focus your attention on.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2015, 06:00:39 PM

Not even close.  This is just Tyr's normal nonsense when talking about religions.  Like how nice it is that the indigenous beliefs of the Japanese, Buddhism, is persevered.  A great deal of Britain's identity is based around opposition to Catholics.  First as rebellion by a murderous tyrant, then as a part of Protestantism, and finally as an element of modern secularism. In modern Britain it comes from both left and right and is deeply ingrained in the British character. It's not as bad as was during the Troubles but it is very telling that the Prime Minister had to hide his religion to be elected.

Raz, you're talking out of your arse.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Watched an impressive interview with Romain Ranouil, who lives above the La Belle Equipe restaurant and is a waiter in the nextdoor bar/restaurant, very eloquent testimony of what confronted him when he came downstairs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2015, 05:48:29 PM

When Americans say something like "you are in our prayers" or "we are praying for you" in response to a tragedy, they do not mean that they are literally asking God to come down from heaven to solve your problems - any more than someone saying "bless you" after a sneeze literally thinks that you require a blessing because you sneezed.

All it means, basically, is that "you have our sympathies" as expressed by someone who takes religious idiom for granted.

I really don't think one and two are really comparable. I know if I say "I'm praying for you" due to some tragedy, I will literally pray for them. I don't think I am unusual in that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on November 17, 2015, 06:36:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2015, 06:00:39 PM

Not even close.  This is just Tyr's normal nonsense when talking about religions.  Like how nice it is that the indigenous beliefs of the Japanese, Buddhism, is persevered.  A great deal of Britain's identity is based around opposition to Catholics.  First as rebellion by a murderous tyrant, then as a part of Protestantism, and finally as an element of modern secularism. In modern Britain it comes from both left and right and is deeply ingrained in the British character. It's not as bad as was during the Troubles but it is very telling that the Prime Minister had to hide his religion to be elected.

Raz, you're talking out of your arse.

Is that where his persecution complex resides?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2015, 05:25:18 PM
Off all the things to get all worked up about, you pick this?

I have been stating my disdain for this kind of rabble rousing for years so is it a surprise I am not happy about it? So yes one of my largest pet peeves in the world irritates me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 17, 2015, 06:43:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2015, 05:48:29 PM

I really don't think one and two are really comparable. I know if I say "I'm praying for you" due to some tragedy, I will literally pray for them. I don't think I am unusual in that.

I do. Very few people have a regular prayer practice. I do but it is fairly structured and I don't, as a general principle, list out things by name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Major operation in St-Denis (Paris suburb) with a shootout.  One officer injured, apparently.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34853657

French link with more details:
http://www.lapresse.ca/international/dossiers/attaques-a-paris/201511/17/01-4922055-fusillade-a-saint-denis-lors-dune-operation-policiere.php

- major shootout ongoing since 22h30 Montreal hour (4h30 Paris time)
- 10km to the north of Paris
- armed men escaping through the roof
- general alert went out to triple police force in the area
https://twitter.com/hashtag/SaintDenis?src=hash

edit:
2 dead, can't access my link for more info, so fuck it for tonight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Tranlsated with google

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lapresse.ca%2Finternational%2Fdossiers%2Fattaques-a-paris%2F201511%2F17%2F01-4922055-operation-policiere-a-saint-denis-deux-morts.php&edit-text=&act=url
QuoteTwo men targeted by the French SWAT forces were killed early Wednesday morning, in Saint-Denis, north of Paris, during a major police operation, reports Le Monde.

A third man could also have been killed. This operation is in full swing since half past one ET would be linked to the manhunt for the perpetrators of attacks in Paris, several French media reported.

The French media reported in the evening on Tuesday that two armed men had barricaded themselves in an apartment instead of the Republic, two kilometers from the Stade de France. It is not known if they were among the victims. At least one policeman was injured in the shooting.

The French elite police unit exchange gunfire since 4:30 [22h30, Montreal time] with armed men in the area of ​​the Place Jean Jaurès, about ten kilometers from the center of the capital.

A general alert law enforcement was launched to triple the police force, as iTV. The police reinforcements arrive massively at the moment.

According to the channel France Info, the police operation could be searched gone wrong. It could also be a police operation could be the surviving perpetrators and their accomplices or persons targeted

On Twitter, netizens have aired on numerous videos where you can hear the exchange of gunfire.

Since last Friday attacks that killed 129 victims, France is trying by all means to the collar of the perpetrators of the attack on the run. There would be at least one, possibly two.

More details to come.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point