Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2015, 05:59:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2015, 11:03:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2015, 10:38:13 PM
Stereotype much?

You don't think Europeans are less religious than Americans?  When is the last time you heard a French President say something like "God Bless you and God Bless France" at the end of their speeches to the nation?

Again, stereotype much?  No, I don't think that there are any Europeans less religious than I am.  I don't believe I have ever heard anyone say something like "God Bless you and God Bless France" at the end of a speech to a nation, but I have no idea why you thought throwing in a non sequitur would make your argument (whatever it is) more persuasive.

Really.  A comment is made about Americans in general and you think it is made about you in particular.  Now that is a healthy ego. ;)

The reason American President refer to God all the time is because it is a popular sentiment in the US.  The reason French Presidents don't is it would be odd and awkward to do so.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2015, 11:28:33 AM
Planting.multiple bombs in different  places

Jihadists are cheaper than explosives, so you want to make sure they go off where they'll have an impact.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on November 16, 2015, 11:43:13 AM
Sort of like the kamikaze pilots. "We will fill your plane with bombs and then you will fly it into their ships."

"Actually sir, if I'm close enough to fly into the ships, couldn't I just drop the bombs from point blank range? Then I could fly back here, reload, and attack again."

"Hmm, interesting point. But...crash your plane into their ship anyway."

:lol:

[Digression] The reason why the Japanese resorted to kamikaze tactics was because the pilots were virtually untrained and couldn't hit at all unless they crashed into the ships.  The survival rate for non-kamikaze missions was very low anyway, so the pilots felt it was better to die for something than for nothing.  Flying back to reload wasn't likely an option even if you survived to drop a bomb, since AA (VT fusing) and the Hellcat made survival unlikely.

If the Japanese could have dropped their bombs effectively and returned for more, they wouldn't have engaged in Special Attack tactics. [/Digression]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2015, 11:57:18 AM
Really.  A comment is made about Americans in general and you think it is made about you in particular.  Now that is a healthy ego. ;)

A single counter-example disproves a sweeping generalization.  One can observe that with a perfectly healthy ego.   :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2015, 02:56:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2015, 11:57:18 AM

A single counter-example disproves a sweeping generalization.  One can observe that with a perfectly healthy ego.   :lol:

While that may be true in some circumstances it is entirely inaccurate for this case.  You are very much in the minority in your country on this issue.  The generalization regarding the religious beliefs of Americans is accurate.  You are making the same mistake BB made.  Just because 100% of the people in the US are not Christian does not mean Christianity is not the dominant religion in the US. You objected to a comment that Americans are more religious than Europeans.  When talking about those populations the comment is accurate.  You are an outlier.

garbon

I'm not sure you mean to say outlier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2015, 03:28:13 PM

Outside the mainstream of American thought on religion.  Put another way, if most Americans held the same or less religious beliefs than Europeans your Presidents would not end all their speeches by saying things like, "God bless America".

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2015, 03:29:59 PM

Outside the mainstream of American thought on religion.  Put another way, if most Americans held the same or less religious beliefs than Europeans your Presidents would not end all their speeches by saying things like, "God bless America".

Our European equivalent has 'God Save the Queen' as its national anthem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2015, 03:40:25 PM

Our European equivalent has 'God Save the Queen' as its national anthem.

British.  Not continental European.  And we stopped saying that back in the 80s at least.

garbon

I think that's a bit better though wiki says 23%, so nearly a quarter of Americans have no religion. That's certainly not an outlier group. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2015, 03:42:16 PM
British.  Not continental European.  And we stopped saying that back in the 80s at least.

Well my point was this is an English language thing. Continental Europeans do not speak English as their native language.

What do you say instead?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2015, 03:57:11 PM

Well my point was this is an English language thing. Continental Europeans do not speak English as their native language.

What do you say instead?

If I was religious/a Christian I would say: God bless and I'll pray for you. They don't want the blessings and prayers? They can ignore it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 16, 2015, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2015, 03:57:11 PM

What do you say instead?

If I was religious/a Christian I would say: God bless and I'll pray for you. They don't want the blessings and prayers? They can ignore it.

Sure but you are not the head of a country reflecting the majority view of the country.  Your president is and does.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2015, 04:02:40 PM
Sure but you are not the head of a country reflecting the majority view of the country.  Your president is and does.

I don't think those terms actually reflect a deep religious sentiment though. I just think that is what we say. Like we don't say 'Long Live the United States' that would be weird. I guess the President could say 'America! Fuck yeah!'

Martinus

Blair is a good example - his strong religious beliefs were actually kept under wraps during his term in the office, because it would have been a huge detriment among voters.