News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 02:00:37 PM
Christ, I can't even imagine what would've happened if he had entered.

I think it's possible more would have died in the ensuing stampede than in the rest of the attacks combined.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Brussels seems a hotbed recently. Wasn't a large cell with heavy weapons and stolen police uniforms discovered earlier this year?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

The French police mentioned earlier that, besides the seven terrorists killed, there was a third team behind the coordinated attacks and that it fled. Seems they caught some of them at the Franco-Belgian border and there was a Belgian police operation in a Bruxelles suburb. This does not mean it's over, of course.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 06:41:48 PM
And the sneer is rather thin for a Hebdoist.

Which is why I said they were classy as always. Which led to a typical Marti rampage. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 11:56:26 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 14, 2015, 11:53:41 AM
Appears to be a real ceasefire deal in Syria being worked out. Huge. Hugehugehuge.

Between who?
The Byzantines and the Mamluks.  Maybe they can hold off the Mongols.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 04:42:03 PM
I don't see the spite. He's thanking people for their thoughts but ask they not use God as a mediator. If I had just been attacked by people praising God while doing so I think I would ask the same.

I think it is incredibly presumptuous of hims to speak for all of France in rejecting any religious responses to terrorism.  From "my fiaht" on, it is fine, and he should have deleted all the snark and presumption before those words.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 04:50:37 PM
I think the ones that need to be understanding in this situation are the Americans. Europeans are less religious, get over it and show your compassion like a French would by going out, getting drunk and making love to someone.

Stereotype much?

Bayraktar!

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2015, 10:38:13 PM
I think the ones that need to be understanding in this situation are the Americans. Europeans are less religious, get over it and show your compassion like a French would by going out, getting drunk and making love to someone.

Stereotype much?

Yes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Stereotype much?

You don't think Europeans are less religious than Americans?  When is the last time you heard a French President say something like "God Bless you and God Bless France" at the end of their speeches to the nation?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2015, 11:03:05 PM

Stereotype much?

You don't think Europeans are less religious than Americans?  When is the last time you heard a French President say something like "God Bless you and God Bless France" at the end of their speeches to the nation?

That comes from the God Save the King stuff. That may be more of a language thing because I don't think even very religious French politicians ever said something like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Stereotype much?

They never do - it's just not done. The French equivalent is "Vive la France, vive la Republique".  :cool:

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 11:41:56 PM

Stereotype much?

That comes from the God Save the King stuff. That may be more of a language thing because I don't think even very religious French politicians ever said something like that.

Swedish politicians never mention God in public. Most because they're not religious, and the rest because they would come across as weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2015, 03:16:54 AM
Swedish politicians never mention God in public. Most because they're not religious, and the rest because they would come across as weird.

What do they say when they want to put the fear of God in someone?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Anti-clericalism has been strong in France ever since the Revolution, bringing God into the political sphere is vaguely anti the Republic.

Josquius

The town was a lot quieter than normal last night. I wonder if it is related .
██████
██████
██████