The SNP Will Block Tory Plans To Have English Shops Open Longer On Sundays

Started by garbon, November 10, 2015, 05:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 11, 2015, 12:41:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2015, 08:52:18 AM
The whole argument is silly. If, say, neighboring regions lower their taxes, it does affect the Catalan economy and certainly I don't get to vote on that. That's how devolution is supposed to work, you know, the kind of thing SNP is supposed to support.

Cynical sells it short, imho.

but britain doesn't have a proper devolution. No proper english parliament (anymore) to vote on english things.

The population breakdown is like this :

England 53m
Scotland just over 5m
Wales 3m
Northern Ireland 1.8m

So the risk is that any English parliament would rapidly become completely dominant.

Josquius

There can never be an English parliament, it's a ridiculous idea that would do far more harm than good
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2015, 03:14:05 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 11, 2015, 03:06:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2015, 08:09:29 PM
On a different note, any Brits know what families are expected to be doing on Sunday after 5pm? :unsure:

Watch Antiques Roadshow.

Have to say I have no problems getting groceries any day of the week. My local convenience supermarkets are open until at least 10 p.m. every day and the ethnic places longer.

I'm assuming you are talking about those random, often unnamed places that in New York I'd refer to as Bodegas (as opposed to the local versions of the chain supermarkets). I am not a fan of buying food from them.

Nope. I have a Sainsbury's, a Tescos and a Co-Op nearby. They are all open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m every day including Sundays.

But I'll go to the unnamed, random places if I have time. Quality is better, price is lower.

garbon

I'm wondering if it is related to a size of store thing as my colleague noted that hers is open late too. My Tesco Metro is only open 12-6 on Sunday.

I completely disagree with your latter bit. The rando places where I am have shit quality and prices are a little bit more expensive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
I'd back extending opening hours on Sunday in England but only if there are adequate time and a half provisions. I remember getting that on my first year of supermarket work then it was taken <_<

I don't see why there should be time and a half for Sunday. It is just another day of the week. It isn't like most British people are lining up to go to church and this would prevent attendance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

It was double-time at a lot of employers back when I was a lad  :cool:

Competition to get Sunday overtime was fairly strong though, so that was probably overpaying.

Saturday and Sunday are not just normal days for everyone though, if you have children at school or play in a local football league or whatever then you want those days off.

garbon

Richard Hakluyt

Oh I'd certainly agree that if we are talking purely about retail then working Saturdays comes with the territory.

Warspite

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2015, 05:26:06 AM
I'm wondering if it is related to a size of store thing as my colleague noted that hers is open late too. My Tesco Metro is only open 12-6 on Sunday.

I completely disagree with your latter bit. The rando places where I am have shit quality and prices are a little bit more expensive.

Sunday trading laws apply differently to differently sized shops, yes. So superstores can't be open after 1700 on a Sunday.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

My Tesco Metro is pretty small. :P

Maybe, as with the many churches of Angel, no one actually wants to grocery shop until 12pm. Church or hungover...:hmm:

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2015, 05:30:01 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
I'd back extending opening hours on Sunday in England but only if there are adequate time and a half provisions. I remember getting that on my first year of supermarket work then it was taken <_<

I don't see why there should be time and a half for Sunday. It is just another day of the week. It isn't like most British people are lining up to go to church and this would prevent attendance.

After my months of hell where I was forced to work every Saturday and sunday- it really isn't just another day of the week.
Having Wednesday off is no substitute for missing the weekend.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Is it important enough to use the force of law to make it happen?

Normally, I'm fairly interventionist, but it just doesn't make sense to me here.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers