Forty three...probably a little too old to go to law school...right?

Started by Berkut, November 10, 2015, 04:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 10:59:11 PMInteresting - I guess that makes sense, given the fact that there is such a lack of really good jobs out there, that it means that a lot of very qualified people who otherwise might go to those jobs are fighting for PD positions instead.

pretty much. though, there are people who honestly do want to do PD work. and, i've heard PD offices can be a stepping stone for future legal careers.

i think the bigger reason is that there just isn't a whole lot of jobs in general. good jobs, mediocre jobs, etc., they're all lacking. i think for a younger person, law school can be a decent decision if the person knows the risks and is willing to give it his all. that's where i've always differed from ide's angle. but, for someone with an established career... i'd stick with where you're at, unless you just want to do something new and have enough money to blow (there are a few people like this in my class). otherwise, it's a serious gamble. especially if you restrict yourself to one legal field - what if the X number of defense firms / PD or DA offices in your area don't hire you, etc.

Martinus

I went into law with a plan to work on landmark civil rights cases.

At the university I was going to stay in the academia or go into diplomacy.

15 years later, I am going to the office today, on a public holiday, to work on an agreement transferring a portfolio of motor policies between two multinationals.  :weep:

Of course, I am being paid 5-10 times more than I would have in one of the other career choices.  :ph34r:

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on November 11, 2015, 01:36:59 AM

15 years later, I am going to the office today, on a public holiday, to work on an agreement transferring a portfolio of motor policies between two multinationals.  :weep:

Of course, I am being paid 5-10 times more than I would have in one of the other career choices.  :ph34r:

:worthy:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: frunk on November 10, 2015, 11:01:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 10:59:11 PM
Interesting - I guess that makes sense, given the fact that there is such a lack of really good jobs out there, that it means that a lot of very qualified people who otherwise might go to those jobs are fighting for PD positions instead.

I think the shortage is financial, in that most PD departments are under funded, rather than lack of candidates.

That's my sense as well.  It would be less competitive if there were sufficient numbers of PDs to handle the case load.  But when state budgets need to be cut, the PD offices are not exactly in the best position politically to resist.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Berkut you can indulge your interest on your free time. And in time can take the bar :p

But you are apparently pretty good at what you do for a living and that is not many people can tell about themselves, statistically speaking. Embrace it and stick with it :p

Razgovory

Maybe you shouldn't quite your day job till your kids are adults.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Why don't you try a home study module to start with and see how you get on? Studying a subject formally is an entirely different proposition to dabbling in it. Plus, take it from me, trying to engage a middle-aged brain into a whole new career path is an entirely different prospect than when you're in your 20s  :Embarrass:

Syt

I did my education in public administrative law. Which re-assured me that law is not my dream career.

That said, if you enjoy the topic, doing some home studying might be a good way to start to see if it's something you feel you would want to do professionally or if it's best kept a hobby.

I thought for a while about studying history and was considering to enroll in university. But talking to students and having dabbled in scientific research methods and writing papers while I was enrolled for German literature helped me to decide: this is something I want to spectate, not participate in.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on November 11, 2015, 01:36:59 AM

So when are you going to fulfil your cultural destiny and become a plumber in Chiswick?