Forty three...probably a little too old to go to law school...right?

Started by Berkut, November 10, 2015, 04:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

citizen k

citizen k

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 04:15:53 PM
I've been kind of really interested in the entire Adnan Syed/Serial/Undisclosed case.

I am still pretty much at a loss as to whether or not he killed his girlfriend 16 years ago, but the process is simply fascinating.

The criminal justice system itself, is fascinating.

I actually thought about how interesting a job it would be to work there on the DA side a few years ago.

Now I am fascinated from the other side.

In any case though, I guess it is a bit too late to run off to law school and look to get into becoming a defense attorney, or even a district attorney.

Sigh. It kind of sucks we only get the one life to live...

Never too old if that's what you want to do. Good luck.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2015, 09:10:17 PM
There's still a JD glut Thrombosis.  Don't do it.

But not an LL.B. glut.  In fact we're getting more and more scarce as time goes by. :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Yeah, if I did anything like this, and of course I am not because how would I pay my mortgage, it would be because I have a very specific idea of what I want - and that is to be a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor.

So while I get that there are too many lawyers in general out there, I suspect there is hardly a glut of people willing to go work for the PD office, for example.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

This had better not be so you can put members on Languish in jail.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 10:00:04 PM
Yeah, if I did anything like this, and of course I am not because how would I pay my mortgage, it would be because I have a very specific idea of what I want - and that is to be a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor.

So while I get that there are too many lawyers in general out there, I suspect there is hardly a glut of people willing to go work for the PD office, for example.

this is a massive myth. it's almost as bad as "i want to practice international law" that you see posted on law school internet boards/forums. any government job is incredibly competitive. there are so many 3Ls at every law school (except maybe harvard, yale, stanford) who would kill for a PD gig.

(edit) i'd ignore the canucks. their legal market seems to be operated in a way where going to law school = get legal job. that's not the case in the U.S. if you don't believe me, check every law school website that exists and research. i wouldn't recommend it at all if you have a career. it's too much of a risk.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2015, 10:25:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2015, 10:23:32 PM
This had better not be so you can put members on Languish in jail.

gaol.  The word is gaol.

:shifty:

My Grandfather spent a lot of time Gaol.  He played professional soccor back in the 1920's he was the gaolie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on November 10, 2015, 10:35:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 10:00:04 PM

this is a massive myth. it's almost as bad as "i want to practice international law" that you see posted on law school internet boards/forums. any government job is incredibly competitive. there are so many 3Ls at every law school (except maybe harvard, yale, stanford) who would kill for a PD gig.

(edit) i'd ignore the canucks. their legal market seems to be operated in a way where going to law school = get legal job. that's not the case in the U.S. if you don't believe me, check every law school website that exists and research. i wouldn't recommend it at all if you have a career. it's too much of a risk.

Interesting - I guess that makes sense, given the fact that there is such a lack of really good jobs out there, that it means that a lot of very qualified people who otherwise might go to those jobs are fighting for PD positions instead.

0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 10:59:11 PM
Interesting - I guess that makes sense, given the fact that there is such a lack of really good jobs out there, that it means that a lot of very qualified people who otherwise might go to those jobs are fighting for PD positions instead.

I think the shortage is financial, in that most PD departments are under funded, rather than lack of candidates.

Berkut

Quote from: frunk on November 10, 2015, 11:01:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2015, 10:59:11 PM

I think the shortage is financial, in that most PD departments are under funded, rather than lack of candidates.

Yeah, but the funding has probably largely remained basically constant, while the available candidates has exploded.

0 rows returned