The SNP Will Block Tory Plans To Have English Shops Open Longer On Sundays

Started by garbon, November 10, 2015, 05:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2015, 03:30:40 AM
Do I understand that correctly? Is the SNP blocking rules for the rest of England that already apply in Scotland?

Yes. Here's what the Guardian had to say.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/09/snp-set-to-block-loosening-of-sunday-trading-restrictions

QuoteSNP set to block loosening of Sunday trading restrictions

Scottish nationalists believe longer trading hours in England and Wales will drive down wage premium enjoyed by Scottish workers

The government is facing defeat over its plans to liberalise Sunday trading laws in England and Wales after the SNP decided to vote against the measure.

The SNP, which rarely votes on matters at Westminster that are unrelated to Scotland, has decided to oppose the reforms on the grounds that they could drive down the wages of Scottish workers who enjoy a special Sunday premium.

The shopworkers' union Usdaw has persuaded the SNP that normalising Sunday trading hours in England and Wales would prompt large retailers to set a lower wage for workers across the UK.

Angus Robertson, the SNP's Westminster leader, said: "SNP MPs could hold the balance of power in the House of Commons on Sunday shopping and we will not undermine shop workers. This legislation will impact on workers in Scotland and elsewhere in the UK and no pay safeguards have been offered by the Westminster government. The SNP will continue to work with the representatives of shop workers and we will oppose the Tory proposals."

Sajid Javid, the business secretary, who has been charged with implementing the reforms first outlined by George Osborne in his July budget, is understood to be examining whether the Tories now have the parliamentary numbers to win the vote. The Tory leadership, which has an effective parliamentary majority of 17, is expecting a rebellion by some of its MPs who support the Keep Sunday Special campaign on religious grounds.

The SNP showed its parliamentary strength in tight votes when it announced in July that it would oppose government plans to relax the foxhunting ban in England and Wales. The government was forced to withdraw the plan.

The decision by the SNP to oppose the change to Sunday trading laws is likely to irritate the chancellor, who announced in July that the government would give mayors the power to regulate Sunday trading in their areas.

Brandon Lewis, the communities minister, and Anna Soubry, the business minister, launched a consultation the following month on whether to give councils the right to zone areas that would be free from restricted trading hours.

The current law prevents shops that cover more than 3,000 sq ft from opening for more than six hours on a Sunday. Proponents of reform say allowing department stores, supermarkets and garden centres to open for longer would rejuvenate high streets. Convenience stores are not subject to the six-hour rule.

The SNP's decision is likely to be criticised by the government, which will argue that it has recently introduced the principle of English votes for English laws, known as Evel. But the SNP will argue that the enterprise bill and the cities and local devolution government bill – one of which is due to be amended to implement the reforms – were both introduced to parliament before the Evel changes.

The SNP will also argue that the bill is an example of where Evel is unfair to voters in Scotland. The Sunday trading reform vote may be designated by the Speaker, John Bercow, as a matter relating only to England and Wales. But nationalists will say that the reforms will have an impact in Scotland by potentially driving down wages.

The Sunday Trading Act, which permitted restricted opening hours on a Sunday, never applied to Scotland, where there has traditionally been a more liberalised environment. But Scottish workers are guaranteed a wage premium for working on Sundays.

The SNP fears that allowing local councils to open trading laws in England and Wales could wipe out the Scottish wage premium if the large retailers set a UK-wide wage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

The SNP are trying to provoke a backlash by the English; after all, one way of getting Scottish independence is for England to tire of the union. Having said that the Tories do have a majority, so it is really a matter of internal party discipline rather than a Scottish problem.

Admiral Yi

If Snip recused themselves, would the Tories - 20 be a majority?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2015, 03:51:10 AM
If Snip recused themselves, would the Tories - 20 be a majority?

Yes, easily. There are 56 SNP MPs, they swept the board in the election (consequence of first-past-the-post).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 11, 2015, 04:16:06 AM
Yes, easily. There are 56 SNP MPs, they swept the board in the election (consequence of first-past-the-post).

Then IMO it is very much a Scottish problem.

BTW, I think this incident is demonstrating the value of an unwritten constitution: we agree to resolve our disagreements by these rules, except for the times when we don't.

Warspite

Clearly a cynical move by the SNP.

Justifying the move, the Westminster SNP leader Angus Robertson was calmly taken apart on the Today programme yesterday morning. He was clearly repeating a talking point verbatim and between its stilted delivery and utterly spurious logic, he came across as a bit hopeless. Sometimes it really is the best tactic for an interviewer to just let the interviewee hang himself.

The "but there might be second-order effects on Scotland" argument is worthless because it could be applied to absolutely anything; you could stretch it, for example, to justify voting against an extra public holiday in England and Wales because it might tempt workers to take jobs south of the border.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

celedhring

The whole argument is silly. If, say, neighboring regions lower their taxes, it does affect the Catalan economy and certainly I don't get to vote on that. That's how devolution is supposed to work, you know, the kind of thing SNP is supposed to support.

Cynical sells it short, imho.

Richard Hakluyt

They are a cynical bunch, I keep on expecting more Scots to see through SNP rhetoric but so far their support seems unwavering.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Warspite on November 11, 2015, 08:41:31 AM
The "but there might be second-order effects on Scotland" argument is worthless because it could be applied to absolutely anything; you could stretch it, for example, to justify voting against an extra public holiday in England and Wales because it might tempt workers to take jobs south of the border.

"Second-order effects" is the bread-and-butter of Commerce Clause (ab)use in the US, so I expect it will gain legs in Blighty as well.

Josquius

Despite Switzerland generally being a liberal hell hole, nothing is open on Sunday here.
I miss Sunday.

I'd back extending opening hours on Sunday in England but only if there are adequate time and a half provisions. I remember getting that on my first year of supermarket work then it was taken <_<
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Countries that don't let the market decide opening hours are weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2015, 08:52:18 AM
The whole argument is silly. If, say, neighboring regions lower their taxes, it does affect the Catalan economy and certainly I don't get to vote on that. That's how devolution is supposed to work, you know, the kind of thing SNP is supposed to support.

Cynical sells it short, imho.

but britain doesn't have a proper devolution. No proper english parliament (anymore) to vote on english things.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 11, 2015, 11:36:33 AM
They are a cynical bunch, I keep on expecting more Scots to see through SNP rhetoric but so far their support seems unwavering.

Still time until the next election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
Despite Switzerland generally being a liberal hell hole, nothing is open on Sunday here.
I miss Sunday.

I'd back extending opening hours on Sunday in England but only if there are adequate time and a half provisions. I remember getting that on my first year of supermarket work then it was taken <_<

I always read Tyr's posts in my head in an Eeyore voice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus