The SNP Will Block Tory Plans To Have English Shops Open Longer On Sundays

Started by garbon, November 10, 2015, 05:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/snp-will-block-tory-plans-to-change-sunday-trading-laws#.dr8A0PXBy

QuoteGovernment plans to relax Sunday trading laws are heading for defeat after SNP MPs revealed they plan to vote against them.

The plans, which would allow local councils in England and Wales to decide when shops can open and close on Sundays, are being opposed by Labour and a rebel group of around 20 Conservative MPs, which means SNP votes could prove decisive.

The SNP said that, although the law would affect England and Wales only, it would have a knock-on effect on wages in Scotland. Currently, large shops and supermarkets in England are only allowed to be open for six hours on Sundays, whereas shops in Scotland can open at any time.

Angus Robertson, the SNP's Westminster leader, told the BBC that the party's 55 MPs will vote against the relaxation of Sunday trading laws to protect shop workers.

"SNP MPs could hold the balance of power in the House of Commons on Sunday shopping and we will not undermine shop workers," said Robertson. "This legislation will impact on workers in Scotland and elsewhere in the UK and no pay safeguards have been offered by the Westminster government.

"The SNP will continue to work with the representatives of shop workers and we will oppose the Tory proposals."

The SNP having the decisive say on the plans would call into question the effectiveness of the new English votes for English laws procedures, which were introduced last month to prevent Scottish MPs from derailing legislation which didn't directly affect Scotland.

SNP MPs blocking Sunday trading laws would follow their intervention on the relaxation of fox-hunting laws in July, which caused the government debate on the issue to be postponed.

The rebel Tory MPs who are against the Sunday trading laws, led by David Burrowes, have argued that the changes to Sunday trading were not in the Conservative manifesto and have said the proposals are "anti-family, anti-small business, and anti-workers".

Burrowes said he welcomed the SNP intervention: "The government is set to embark on a de-regulation of Sunday trading for which there is no particular demand, which was not in our manifesto and goes against our concerns for workers for small businesses and families.

"Some 20 of my colleagues are opposed to these changes and that is more than enough to overcome the government's majority now the SNP have joined the opposition."

Ministers are now reported to be considering whether to delay the Sunday trading vote or scrap it altogether.

UPDATE: The BBC's James Landale reports that the debate is "on hold" after the SNP announced it was opposed to the changes.

<_<

That independence movement has gone too far. Getting between me and my opportunity to get my late night Sunday grocery shop on. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

This is a deeply cynical move by Snip.  Kick the wankers out of your country now.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

On a different note, any Brits know what families are expected to be doing on Sunday after 5pm? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2015, 08:09:29 PM
On a different note, any Brits know what families are expected to be doing on Sunday after 5pm? :unsure:

It's a secret; you only find out after 7 2/3 years of residency here.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

They all get together and drink tea and sing praises to the monarchy I presume.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 10:14:28 PM

Don't forget fox hunting.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

In Poland, a deeply religious country, malls are open until 9 pm on Sundays. :yeah:

Gups

Watch Antiques Roadshow.

Have to say I have no problems getting groceries any day of the week. My local convenience supermarkets are open until at least 10 p.m. every day and the ethnic places longer.

Syt

Here, supermarkets close between 7 and 8 pm during the week, and 6 pm on Saturdays. Pretty much everything is closed on Sundays (except for a few supermarkets at train stations and some Turkish grocery stores).

There's occasional attempts to introduce longer opening hours, or opening on Sundays, but it's usually shot down by unions and church. I think there'll be an exemption for tourist areas in Vienna some time soon, but I don't recall the details.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on November 11, 2015, 03:06:55 AM

Watch Antiques Roadshow.

Have to say I have no problems getting groceries any day of the week. My local convenience supermarkets are open until at least 10 p.m. every day and the ethnic places longer.

I'm assuming you are talking about those random, often unnamed places that in New York I'd refer to as Bodegas (as opposed to the local versions of the chain supermarkets). I am not a fan of buying food from them.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 10, 2015, 10:20:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 10:14:28 PM

Don't forget fox hunting.

The earlier intervention by the SNP this year as to block attempts to relax fox hunting bans.

celedhring

Do I understand that correctly? Is the SNP blocking rules for the rest of England that already apply in Scotland?