Russian airliner crashes in central Sinai - Egyptian PM

Started by Syt, October 31, 2015, 03:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2015, 04:51:12 PM
ISIS has a somewhat different goal the AQ.  They intend to set up a viable Islamic state.  At this point they have succeeded.  Their position is precarious, however, and if their enemies coordinate their actions then will lose their territory and cease to have a functioning state.

Not quite.  Their goal is to establish the "Islamic State", comprising all territory historically held by muslims (look out Spain!).  Their goal is not just to set up one independent muslim-run country among many.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PJL

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2015, 04:56:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2015, 04:51:12 PM
ISIS has a somewhat different goal the AQ.  They intend to set up a viable Islamic state.  At this point they have succeeded.  Their position is precarious, however, and if their enemies coordinate their actions then will lose their territory and cease to have a functioning state.

Not quite.  Their goal is to establish the "Islamic State", comprising all territory historically held by muslims (look out Spain!).  Their goal is not just to set up one independent muslim-run country among many.

I think their end goal is to establish Islamic Earth not just the historic Muslim bits.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Agelastus

Quote from: Liep on November 06, 2015, 05:50:41 PM
Charlie Hebdo making new friends:

Oh well, now I know for certain that I'm not a very nice person; that's funny. Quite clever too given some of the stories floating around contrasting the crudity of the weapons used in the Russian bombing compared to the West's "smart" weapons.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2015, 07:07:05 PM
Oh yeah, they are known for being super clever. :rolleyes:

If they are, they aren't living up to it.  It's one thing to make a tasteless joke.  It's another to make a tasteless joke that isn't actually funny.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

It's worth noting that one of the first challenges Putin had to face was the Chechen attack on that school.  The way he responded did a lot to solidify his popularity with the Russian people.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2015, 07:23:21 PM
It's worth noting that one of the first challenges Putin had to face was the Chechen attack on that school.  The way he responded did a lot to solidify his popularity with the Russian people.
:huh: Which school are we talking about?  Beslan happened many years into Putin's presidency, and that response was by no means something that even Russian media prostitutes could spin in a positive direction. 

What solidified Putin's popularity was starting a second war in Chechnya as a prime minister, and a relentless propaganda extolling his virtues as a decisive leader on all the major TV stations owned by oligarchs.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2015, 07:28:49 PM
:huh: Which school are we talking about?  Beslan happened many years into Putin's presidency, and that response was by no means something that even Russian media prostitutes could spin in a positive direction. 

What I read at the time was that his response that it was his fault, for being too weak, went over very well.

HisMajestyBOB

Maybe you mean the apartment bombings that helped boost Putin's popularity and ensured his election to the Presidency?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2015, 07:51:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2015, 07:28:49 PM

What I read at the time was that his response that it was his fault, for being too weak, went over very well.
I don't remember that, either at the time or mentioned later, not that it didn't happen.  There is no doubt that he was using Beslan as a pretext for further entrenching his rule, just like he was using prior terrorist acts, but only the apartment building bombings directly raised his popularity, in my recollection.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 06, 2015, 08:18:14 PM
Maybe you mean the apartment bombings that helped boost Putin's popularity and ensured his election to the Presidency?

No, Beslan.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2015, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 06, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

No, Beslan.
But how is it one of the first challenges Putin had to face?  Just form the top of my head, without looking up Wiki, he had apartment building bombings, Kursk, and Nord Ost all before Beslan.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2015, 08:28:33 PM
Just form the top of my head

Would you prefer ovoid or rectangular?

Look, I'm just giving my impression.  I wasn't looking for a thesis defense.  I don't even remember some of the things you mentioned.