News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you go to Paris today?

Started by Maladict, November 14, 2015, 10:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you were traveling to Paris today, for a few days of fun and leisure. Say you could cancel, having to pay a modest amount at worst. Would you still go?

No, for safety reasons
3 (7.5%)
No, out of respect / not the right time to go there for fun
4 (10%)
No, other reason
2 (5%)
Yes, but I'll adapt my plans to the situation
16 (40%)
Yes, and I'll try to ignore what happened
8 (20%)
Yes, to join the Legion and fight IS
2 (5%)
Yes, other reason
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Valmy

Yes. I have some friends I would like to visit and hear what they have to say and maybe comfort them a bit.

If I was significantly younger and knew for a fact IS was going to be attacked by the French Army, joining the Legion would be a non-zero possibility. There are very few people in the world who just need killing but those guys do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Strangely enough I've never had any desire to go to Paris anyway, though I'd love to visit Normandy and the French Riviera.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I don't know if I would go to Paris *today* - what with border closings and police still trying to figure out what happened... but I would totally visit in a week or month from now.

My one and only visit to New York was two months after 9/11.  They were actively encouraging people to come and visit, and there were deals to be had.  And while most of my visit was doing typically "touristy" things, what I'll always remember was the aftermath of 9/11.  Flags everywhere, elaborate shrines in front of fire stations... and then when you went to lower manhattan, how dusty and dirty it still was.  And then there was ground zero.  I think later on there were more involved viewing stations, but at that time there were fairly crude barriers with a viewing station.  There was still almost all of the rubble, including a several-stories high cladding from one of the towers.  It was powerful stuff and I'll never forget it.  -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on November 14, 2015, 10:39:44 AM

High speed trains are still running from Amsterdam to Paris. Travellers in Amsterdam are being interviewed about their reasons for going or cancelling their trip.
The foreign tourists seem to be changing their destination or staying in Amsterdam, mostly out of respect, a few out of fear.
The Dutch tourists are mostly their Calvinist selves, insisting on having a right to have fun because they paid for it (ignoring the fact that they can probably get a refund).

One Dutch woman said she'd go straight to Euro Disney and didn't deserve to see anything along the way that might disturb her. The reporter said afterwards he 'forgot' to tell her Euro Disney is closed today.  :lol:

If they closed their borders, how are we supposed to get in?

Anyway, if I had plans, and if they were letting me in, I would go.  If the French government said something like "we appreciate your visit, but right now, please stay clear of Paris, wait for another week until we lift the state of emergency", than I would try to move my trip.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 14, 2015, 05:51:23 PM
Strangely enough I've never had any desire to go to Paris anyway, though I'd love to visit Normandy and the French Riviera.

The Museums are kick ass. There are some pretty amazing archaeological sites as well. I know you are not really a big city guy but it is pretty cool to visit once.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on November 14, 2015, 05:51:23 PM

The museums are extremely impressive.  Paris itself is beatiful.  I took a Segway tour in the streets and it was fantastic. 

Excellent food everywhere.  Not just the fine dining restaurants, but lots of cake shops and food places that sell really good food. 

Also lots of shopping opportunities. 

The worst part is they treat you like crap as soon as you start talking in English  :lol:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Hells yeah...recent history shows that tackling terrorists gets you a double promotion in the Air Force.

Serious answer: If I were already inclined to go to Paris...yes I would go, but only probably after an appropriate buffer of time.  General threat/fear would not be any kind of impediment.

Admiral Yi

Martinus

I suppose it would depend on many circumstances. If I lived in Hong Kong and this was my annual scheduled vacation, I would probably not postpone it. If I lived in Brussels and it was just a weekend trip, I would.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2015, 05:57:35 PM
I don't know if I would go to Paris *today* - what with border closings and police still trying to figure out what happened... but I would totally visit in a week or month from now.

My one and only visit to New York was two months after 9/11.  They were actively encouraging people to come and visit, and there were deals to be had.  And while most of my visit was doing typically "touristy" things, what I'll always remember was the aftermath of 9/11.  Flags everywhere, elaborate shrines in front of fire stations... and then when you went to lower manhattan, how dusty and dirty it still was.  And then there was ground zero.  I think later on there were more involved viewing stations, but at that time there were fairly crude barriers with a viewing station.  There was still almost all of the rubble, including a several-stories high cladding from one of the towers.  It was powerful stuff and I'll never forget it.  -_-

Do you also go to random strangers' funerals?  :hmm:

garbon

I think going somewhere that will clearly have/has had a large impact on a nation's psyche is rather different from a random stranger's funeral.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Today we got the dictate from corporate not to travel to France (for business) without senior management approval.  It's different working for a French company, at GE we would have gotten that on Saturday rather than waiting for Monday morning.  It's a good thing the terrorists didn't attack in August, we'd have to wait a month.   

;)

As to the question at hand, I'd do my best to postpone my trip until the state of emergency had been lifted.  De Gaulle Airport is awful without a state of emergency; I can't imagine what it's like today.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

OttoVonBismarck

I don't have any plans to, but I'd have no problem being in Paris the night of the attacks even as bad as they were your % odds of being killed in them is very, very, very low, even if you were in Paris.

lustindarkness

If I could afford it I would. The timing would only depend on if Duque will be available to be my guide again or not. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom