News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you go to Paris today?

Started by Maladict, November 14, 2015, 10:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you were traveling to Paris today, for a few days of fun and leisure. Say you could cancel, having to pay a modest amount at worst. Would you still go?

No, for safety reasons
3 (7.5%)
No, out of respect / not the right time to go there for fun
4 (10%)
No, other reason
2 (5%)
Yes, but I'll adapt my plans to the situation
16 (40%)
Yes, and I'll try to ignore what happened
8 (20%)
Yes, to join the Legion and fight IS
2 (5%)
Yes, other reason
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Maladict

High speed trains are still running from Amsterdam to Paris. Travellers in Amsterdam are being interviewed about their reasons for going or cancelling their trip.
The foreign tourists seem to be changing their destination or staying in Amsterdam, mostly out of respect, a few out of fear.
The Dutch tourists are mostly their Calvinist selves, insisting on having a right to have fun because they paid for it (ignoring the fact that they can probably get a refund).

One Dutch woman said she'd go straight to Euro Disney and didn't deserve to see anything along the way that might disturb her. The reporter said afterwards he 'forgot' to tell her Euro Disney is closed today.  :lol:

Monoriu

I'd go for sure.  It is tough to coordinate holidays, gigantic problems with cancelling airfares and hotels etc.  My real worry is that the restaurants and tourist spots will be closed.  Otherwise the tough security is a blessing.  On the plus side, the places that are open will be less crowded. 

Liep

I think I'd stay home. There'll be another time to visit Paris so no reason to force a visit when the population is in grief and the museums are closed.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Richard Hakluyt

There has been a train derailment with a number of deaths :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34822666

Probably a coincidence.

No I wouldn't visit Paris right now. My French is terrible and having a monoglot bumbling about would not be helpful.

Monoriu

Actually, I think this is the best time to go to Paris.  When everybody bails, there will be good airfare and hotel deals. 

Josquius

Of course. It's probably the safest time to go right now

██████
██████
██████

mongers

Well it would be a bit silly to do it today or in the next few days, not because of the security situation there, no real chance of death or injury, but because most people can't just drop everything and dash to Paris.

A better jesture would be to plan a winter or early spring break and put some extra euros into the tills of the small Parisian business affect by this assult on civilization.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2015, 11:05:06 AM
Well it would be a bit silly to do it today or in the next few days, not because of the security situation there, no real chance of death or injury, but because most people can't just drop everything and dash to Paris.

A better jesture would be to plan a winter or early spring break and put some extra euros into the tills of the small Parisian business affect by this assult on civilization.

The assumption is you have already booked a trip, leaving today  :)

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on November 14, 2015, 11:06:48 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2015, 11:05:06 AM

The assumption is you have already booked a trip, leaving today  :)

OK I assumed wrong, didn't read the whole OP :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Most touristic attractions will be closed this week-end so I do not think it's a good idea anyways, security and moral concerns aside.

No option for me since I am already in Paris, and Jaron option does not apply as well.

Syt

I would still go, because not going would be the wrong signal. I would make sure to be respectful (not go out of my way to gawk at the attack sites, pestering people about it etc.), though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I would probably delay my trip a bit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

It depends why I was going. If it was to wander around awesome museums in a beautiful city, I probably wouldn't just because I understand they will be closed. Otherwise, I would go. Not sure how not spending my dollars there helps the people of Paris, and I don't think spending a day in a museum is in any way disrespectful.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

I would not go.  Everything is closed and Parisians are dealing with a disaster.  The last thing they need at the moment are tourists.  I would reschedule.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2015, 12:22:36 PM
I would not go.  Everything is closed and Parisians are dealing with a disaster.  The last thing they need at the moment are tourists.  I would reschedule.

I saw an interview touching on the impact of 9/11 on tourist heavy NYC sectors such as theater, and it was quite devastating--some people likely need tourists to keep their livelihood.

Everything being closed is of course a serious obstacle to being a tourist and spending money.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014