Russian airliner crashes in central Sinai - Egyptian PM

Started by Syt, October 31, 2015, 03:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34687139?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

QuoteRussian airliner crashes in central Sinai - Egyptian PM

A Russian airliner has crashed in central Sinai with more than 200 people on board, the office of Egypt's prime minister has confirmed.

The Airbus A-321 had just taken off from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, on its way to the Russian city of St Petersburg.

There were conflicting reports about the fate of the plane, some suggesting it had disappeared over Cyprus.

Most of the passengers are said to be Russian tourists.

The plane was operated by the small Russian airline Kogalymavia, based in western Siberia. Latest reports say it was carrying 217 passengers and seven crew.

A "Russian civilian plane... crashed in the central Sinai", the office of Egyptian Prime Minister Sharif Ismail said in a statement.

It added that Mr Ismail had formed a crisis committee to deal with the crash.

The Russian aviation authority Rosaviatsiya said in a statement that flight 7K 9268 left Sharm el-Sheikh at 06:51 Moscow time (03:51 GMT) and had been due into St Petersburg's Pulkovo airport at 12:10.

The authority added that the aircraft failed to make scheduled contact with Cyprus air traffic control 23 minutes after take-off and disappeared from the radar.

A centre to help relatives of the passengers has been set up at Pulkovo airport, Tass news agency quoted St Peterburg city officials as saying.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

According to AFP an Islamic State affiliate in Egypt claims to have shot the plane down.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2015, 09:21:44 AM
According to AFP an Islamic State affiliate in Egypt claims to have shot the plane down.

I saw that, though its not from a 'confirmed IS account, but not sure what the characteristics of an official one is.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to get a bomb on-board an airliner at the Sinai tourist airport, especially as the province is the seat of an insurgency, so likely to have sympathisers within security or civil/public services?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Not confirmed, and they claimed to have shot it down from the ground. First technical reports from Egypt said it was a mechanical mishap, so it's very unbelievable. But from a Russian perspective it would be beneficial to blame ISIS for this, for one you get a shady Russian aviation company off the hook and you get further justification for warring in Syria during a financial crisis. But that's in :tinfoil:-territory.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2015, 09:50:29 AM
Not confirmed, and they claimed to have shot it down from the ground. First technical reports from Egypt said it was a mechanical mishap, so it's very unbelievable. But from a Russian perspective it would be beneficial to blame ISIS for this, for one you get a shady Russian aviation company off the hook and you get further justification for warring in Syria during a financial crisis. But that's in :tinfoil:-territory.
Could go either way.  You don't want to be seen as allowing an ISIS retaliation attack to happen.  You blow up apartment buildings before the war, not during it.

Darth Wagtaros

The same kind of Russian tourists that flew into Kabul once upon a time?!?!?!
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 31, 2015, 02:01:37 PM
The same kind of Russian tourists that flew into Kabul once upon a time?!?!?!

Lots of dead children apparently, you know the same as those that get washed up on a Greek beach, die in a caste originated fire-bombing in India or die because their American parent left a gun lying around for someone else to play with.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Is it just me or are there a larger than normal amount of plane crashes these days? :(
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Clearly the work of Erdogan.  We should probably round up some people, shoot half, then charge the rest for the murders of the those we killed.  It's the only way to maintain civil society.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2015, 02:50:41 PM
Is it just me or are there a larger than normal amount of plane crashes these days? :(

I think it's you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

This going to rally the Russian public in favor of the anti-ISIS war? Maybe cause some escalation in Syria, or Putin broadening out into Iraq.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jaron

I think the number of planes crashes has stayed very low.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Yeah, I mean what was the last high profile plane crash? The Swiss Alps suicide thing, right? That was more than 6 months ago. With thousands of commercial flights completed each day it is a wonder the crashes per annum are not at least double digit.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2015, 03:00:26 PM
Clearly the work of Erdogan.  We should probably round up some people, shoot half, then charge the rest for the murders of the those we killed.  It's the only way to maintain civil society.

Ok...you do that Raz.  :wacko:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."