Russian airliner crashes in central Sinai - Egyptian PM

Started by Syt, October 31, 2015, 03:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Am I to understand that you don't consider my question relevant or that you simply don't know?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2015, 08:53:07 PM
Am I to understand that you don't consider my question relevant or that you simply don't know?

I don't consider it particularly relevant but I also don't know.

mongers

'Sources' in the US say a US satellite detected in the infrared a heat flash from the location in the Sinai at the time the airliner went down. So probably an explosion, either bomb or fuel, but still not necessarily non-accidental.

I've seen talk about there being no heat trail from a missile, so that's ruled out, but who knows if that's detectable, as the source quoted is an off the record one in the US government. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

To hit an airplane at that height from the ground would be tricky without a really big missile.  Man portable weapons can't hit targets that high.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2015, 09:46:04 PM

I've seen talk about there being no heat trail from a missile... ...but who knows if that's detectable

I'm pretty sure it's detectable, but you have to be looking in the right place at the right time with the right equipment.  Of course, our exact capabilities in satellite recon are highly classified, so maybe it's easier than that suggests, but, as you say, who knows.

Liep

The British are freaking out cancelling flights to Sharm El-Sheik because they think it was a bomb that brought down the plane.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34724604
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on November 03, 2015, 10:23:52 PM
*shrug* Lady Jaye could always do it. :)
MOre likely the Russian government will blame the unlikely alliance of the Jews, ISIS, and the American backed Ukrainians.  Also, the Russian public will believe it.
PDH!

Crazy_Ivan80

another Russian plane crashed in South-Sudan, no foul play involved it seems

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 03, 2015, 09:00:35 PMI don't consider it particularly relevant but I also don't know.

i think it's relevant because ISIS probably wouldn't want to announce responsibility unless it was actually responsible. otherwise, who's gonna believe ISIS when it claims XYZ attacks? some (un?)affiliated group (or nutter) has less to lose by claiming the moon. if russian company says it's not at fault + ISIS officially says it's responsible = more likely to believe ISIS. if nobody important claims responsibility, there's greater likelihood that russian company is at fault.

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on November 04, 2015, 12:44:50 PM
The British are freaking out cancelling flights to Sharm El-Sheik because they think it was a bomb that brought down the plane.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34724604

meh.  If this meets your standard for "freaking out," your standard is pretty worthless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

It makes sense for ISIS not to claim it. Russia is bombing them but it is also helping them in bombing moderates. They don't want to bring everything onto themselves
██████
██████
██████

Liep

The CIA is freaking out and is now saying this might just be terrorism but they need further investigation.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

CNN is now freaking out as well, citing earlier freaking out of the Brits and Americans.