News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Walking Dead spoilers thread

Started by viper37, October 25, 2015, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2015, 03:17:52 PM
ah ok, the guys who won a metal of the year award instead of Metallica so many years ago.  Got it, thanks :)

Yup. He's not the son in law of all them though...just the lead singer, flautist and codpiece wearer.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2015, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2015, 04:13:59 PM
Sewer zombies were interesting, how rotten they were....
Which leads to a thought- surely the brain will be one of the earlier parts to go?
So...the knife through the head to kill them thing....its some kind of magical mumbo jumbo rather than destroy the brain (which when you think about it never really made sense- a knife anywhere in the head does it, not a specific part...)
I think it's been established in zombie lore since... Night of the living dead, maybe? That you need to destroy the brain to kill a zombie.
And apparently, "destroy the brain" means piercing it anywhere or smashing it.  So, anything that pierces the brain anywhere will do.

Why?  I don't know.

Which part of the body should decompose first in a sewer, the brain or the heart, I don't know.

Also, I do not know how a virus that kills the host could maintain control over the entire body by simply residing in the brain, and how it could actively nourrish itself by being isolated from all other parts of the body.

Yeah, they kinda tried to explain it in S1 at the CDC by implying that the zombie virus kinda "jump started" the very basic, bare minimum survival function of the human brain (e.g. eat to live).  Which still doesn't explain overall zombie-rot...but naturally, fantasy has to kick in at some point.

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 09, 2015, 08:21:18 PM
Which still doesn't explain overall zombie-rot...
I guess since there is circulatory system, there is nothing to repair tissue damage occuring over time.

But anyway, zombies or vampires or werevolves, at some point, like you say, fantasy has to kick in.  there's only so much they can do.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2015, 09:58:36 AM
Next week we will learn if Daryl&co all survive the trip.  We will see if Michonne gets back in town, maybe.  Then we will go back to Alexandria to see these walls buckle under the massive weight of all those walkers.  Then the black sniper girl in the tower will valiantly snipe a hundred walkers until they swarm the base of that tower and make it crash on the ground killing her shortly after.

Also, about Glenn, getting himself splattered by Nicholas blood would not do much to protect him from the zombies.  You need zombie blood, but Nicholas was still human, he hadn't turn yet.

Oh, and why do they insist on using small knives instead of long spears?
More suspense as the next week's previews show Daryl being injured. On this week's show they hadn't heard from Sasha and Benjamin. Michone had already gotten back though, three of them, and the wounded guy is in the clinic being treated. He was the one the medical tech was trying to figure out how to treat.

As for spear or knife, I often wonder about this too. For me, I'd want a long weapon so I don't have to get in close with more risk of getting bitten. But I think for one thing that they can keep a knife in a sheath where with a spear they'd need to keep it in hand, or I guess they could make a sheath for it like Michone with her sword.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on November 10, 2015, 10:03:38 AM
More suspense as the next week's previews show Daryl being injured. On this week's show they hadn't heard from Sasha and Benjamin. Michone had already gotten back though, three of them, and the wounded guy is in the clinic being treated. He was the one the medical tech was trying to figure out how to treat.
ah, right, I totally forgot that, thanks :)

As for spear or knife, I often wonder about this too. For me, I'd want a long weapon so I don't have to get in close with more risk of getting bitten. But I think for one thing that they can keep a knife in a sheath where with a spear they'd need to keep it in hand, or I guess they could make a sheath for it like Michone with her sword.
Well, having a knife on you while you walk the streets of Alexandria, I get it.  But when you go out on a supply run, imho, it's more practical to have a spear.  But I suppose it's easier to have actors use a knife than train them to use a spear.  And it likely reduces risks of injuries when they fight real people instead of a special effect doll.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I was thinking about the spear thing yesterday too.
When it comes to going out scavenging I'm not so sure which is best but for e.g. zombies at the fence, a spear would be much better
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2015, 11:31:07 AM
When it comes to going out scavenging I'm not so sure which is best but for e.g. zombies at the fence, a spear would be much better

The series has moved off of the original premise which was that even scratch could cause a living person to turn.  Remember back when they used to put on body armour if they were going to engage in close combat with the Walkers.  Once the only risk became being bitten by very slow moving creatures knives became more viable.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 10, 2015, 09:31:40 AM
I guess since there is circulatory system, there is nothing to repair tissue damage occuring over time.

But anyway, zombies or vampires or werevolves, at some point, like you say, fantasy has to kick in.  there's only so much they can do.

yeah. I have some issues with the zombie myth (for instance if they eat their prey, where are they all coming from?) but yeah, at some point you have to allow for the fact that...zombies are fantastical creatures.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 11:41:11 AM

The series has moved off of the original premise which was that even scratch could cause a living person to turn.  Remember back when they used to put on body armour if they were going to engage in close combat with the Walkers.  Once the only risk became being bitten by very slow moving creatures knives became more viable.

Don't forget it's death that causes you to turn, not a scratch, nor a bite. The bite, I imagine, causes infection which causes you to die.

Josephus

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 10, 2015, 12:23:40 PM

Don't forget it's death that causes you to turn, not a scratch, nor a bite. The bite, I imagine, causes infection which causes you to die.

That is not how it worked early in the series.  A person did not need to die to be turned.  A scratch would could do it.  But that fell away after, iirc, season 1.  The zombies were too dangerous to tell the story I guess.

Quote from: Josephus on November 10, 2015, 12:20:47 PM

yeah. I have some issues with the zombie myth (for instance if they eat their prey, where are they all coming from?) but yeah, at some point you have to allow for the fact that...zombies are fantastical creatures.

There can still be zombies because everyone who dies, whether zombie caused or not, becomes a zombie.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on November 10, 2015, 12:23:40 PM

Yes, my original thought  re: cc was: maybe it was after the 'everybody is infected' revelation that they toned down this stuff?
Before they were  treating it is an infectious disease so being very cautious.
Though I'm sure I can remember several major armour incidents at the prison so that's not right.

Certainly though agreed that scratches don't seem to be a big deal these days. Though bites certainly mean instant death for some reason.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Well body armour would still be a must if going out into the hordes; best way to prevent being bitten, no?

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 10, 2015, 12:20:47 PM

ah, I thought about that too.
In the Walking Dead universe, initially people get sick, they die, they transform into zombies.  It seems to happen to a small percentage of the population though, if we look at Fear the Walking Dead, maybe 10-20% of the pop, max, or otherwise, some areas maybe worst than others.
Than what happens is people don't know how to react yet, so zombies attack them and bite them, the victim flees to avoid being devoured but end up becoming a zombie.
Then, there are all the people who would die without medical support, something that tends to happen when society collapses.  They turn into zombies, they bite other people.

By the end of the first week, you could easily have 80%+ of the population in a big city transformed into zombies.