Strongest hurricane ever recorded in eastern Pacific to hit Mexico

Started by jimmy olsen, October 23, 2015, 04:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Damn :( :( :(

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/hurricane-patricia-races-mexicos-coast-185-mph-winds-n449731

QuoteAt 1:30 a.m. ET, Patricia was about 185 miles south-southwest of Manzanillo, and about 270 miles south of Cabo Corrientes. It was moving swiftly to the north-northwest with maximum sustained winds estimated at 185 mph.

Hurricane warnings stretched from San Blas to Punta San Telmo, an area that includes Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo. CONAGUA, the Mexican national water commission, predicted waves up to 39 feet at landfall.

The National Hurricane Center said it was expected to remain "an extremely dangerous major hurricane" when it hits the coast, producing deadly rip currents, "life-threatening flash floods and mudslides."

It added: "Some fluctuations in intensity are possible today, but Patricia is expected to remain an extremely dangerous Category 5 hurricane through landfall."

Up to 20 inches of rain was predicted for the Mexican states of Jalisco, Colima, Michoacan and Guerrero through Saturday, the NHC said.

EDIT: Shit, it's gotten even stronger

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPEP5+shtml/230238.shtml

SUMMARY OF 400 AM CDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.0N 105.5W
ABOUT 160 MI...255 KM SSW OF MANZANILLO MEXICO
ABOUT 235 MI...380 KM S OF CABO CORRIENTES MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...200 MPH...325 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 340 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...880 MB...25.99 INCHES

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

This years Pacific hurricane season and Pacific typhoon season have been incredible. El Nino on top of warmer-than-normal sea temperatures will do that. Fortunately it also results in wind shear over the Atlantic which has given us our fairly mild season.

Pacific Hurricanes rarely make landfall so an active Pacific and mild Atlantic is better than the reverse. Shitty luck that the strongest storm of the season actually does make landfall.

That said, I'm not looking forward to seeing what happens when there's no wind shear to interfere over warmer Atlantic waters. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Send them to us.  The workers in HK hope to have typhoons every day.  We get a day off and there is no real danger to us. 

HisMajestyBOB

Hong Kong has a forcefield that prevents Typhoons from landing there, so no can do. Sorry. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 23, 2015, 06:56:48 AM
Hong Kong has a forcefield that prevents Typhoons from landing there, so no can do. Sorry. :(

They're more affected by battles between giant robots and kaiju, really.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2015, 06:02:00 AM
Send them to us.  The workers in HK hope to have typhoons every day.  We get a day off and there is no real danger to us.

Really? Even a storm with sustained winds of 322kph and a 12 meter storm surge?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 23, 2015, 07:13:49 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2015, 06:02:00 AM

Really? Even a storm with sustained winds of 322kph and a 12 meter storm surge?

We all live in concrete and steel towers designed to withstand the strongest storms.  It is rare to get any broken windows here even in the event of a direct hit.  It is holiday time when a typhoon comes. 

Monoriu

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 23, 2015, 06:56:48 AM

That's actually a very popular saying here.  We call it the "Lee's force field".  Lee is HK's richest man, Lee Ka Shing.  Whenever a typhoon misses us, we jokingly say it is Lee's force field at work, because he doesn't want us to have a day off.  He wants us to stay in the offices to continue to work for him  :lol:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Guy is a genius.  He came to HK as a penniless kid.  Worked his way upward as a factory boy, then manager, then owner.  He is regularly ranked as one of the top 50 richest man in the world.  At one time he and his family controlled 25% of the market capitalisation of the HK stock market, one of the 10 largest markets in the world.

Zanza

You could just introduce some regular vacations instead of hoping for a natural disaster.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on October 23, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
You could just introduce some regular vacations instead of hoping for a natural disaster.

I think we have 17 public holidays per year.  That's a pretty high number when compared with western nations, I believe.  Though 17 only applies to office workers.  Blue collar workers get 12. 

We get, on average, 1-3 typhoon hits per year.  I don't think something that happens so frequently qualifies as a natural disaster.  More like a regular weather condition.   :lol:

Caliga

El Nino usually means a warmer winter for us, which means little to no snow. :cool:

It also means a wetter winter, so it BETTER BE FUCKING WARM. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on October 23, 2015, 09:45:00 AM
El Nino usually means a warmer winter for us, which means little to no snow. :cool:

It also means a wetter winter, so it BETTER BE FUCKING WARM. :mad:

You better not jinx it this year. The last few winters in the Ohio Valley have sucked and I blame you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive