News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer nightmares

Started by crazy canuck, October 22, 2015, 09:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

All was well for the first two days.  Then I started getting display driver not responding errors.  I dutifully updated drivers.  Didn't help and I stated getting crashes to a blank screen.  Then I stated getting an error that computer did not shut down properly but when I tried to reboot I kept getting the same error.  Basically caught in some wired loop.  Tried booting from the disk and use the repair tools.  Tools didn't work.  So decided to reinstall windows but computer again during that process.  Now I am caught in a loop that says installation was interrupted and I need to restart.

So I think I need to nuke from orbit and reinstall but I think I need to do that from a command prompt.  So now the question, how do I remove windows from the ssd drive from the command prompt?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 09:55:32 AM
All was well for the first two days.  Then I started getting display driver not responding errors.  I dutifully updated drivers.  Didn't help and I stated getting crashes to a blank screen.  Then I stated getting an error that computer did not shut down properly but when I tried to reboot I kept getting the same error.  Basically caught in some wired loop.  Tried booting from the disk and use the repair tools.  Tools didn't work.  So decided to reinstall windows but computer again during that process.  Now I am caught in a loop that says installation was interrupted and I need to restart.

So I think I need to nuke from orbit and reinstall but I think I need to do that from a command prompt.  So now the question, how do I remove windows from the ssd drive from the command prompt?

Personally I'd be taking it back to ths shop since that's what you paid the money for them to do.

But if you need to "Nuke it from orbit"... there's no need to bother with a command prompt these days.  I had to re-install Windows when I botched updating the USB drivers.

What you need to do is make sure you have install media for Windows - either a DVD or USB thumb drive.  Then go into your UEFI/BIOS (hold down whatever key is shown on the splash key) and set to boot off of your DVD or thumb drive.  Then restart.  Your computer will boot off of your install drive, and just follow the prompts from that point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 10:22:46 AM

Then restart.  Your computer will boot off of your install drive, and just follow the prompts from that point.

QuoteNow I am caught in a loop that says installation was interrupted and I need to restart.

If it was that simple BB, I wouldn't be asking for how to remove windows by using the command prompt.

Barrister

Okay...

What exactly is happening?  Your post said:

QuoteSo decided to reinstall windows but computer again during that process.  Now I am caught in a loop that says installation was interrupted and I need to restart.

What precisely is happening when you try to restart your computer?

I have a feeling you may have more of a hardware issue than a software one, but let's try to figure this out.

crazy canuck

Everytime, I restart, I get a message that says installation was interrupted and telling me to restart.  When I try to boot from the disk it takes me to the installation screen and when I try to install from there I get an error message that says I cant install.

Barrister

Are you attempting to boot from a disc or from a USB drive?

Are you able to access your BIOS/UEFI settings?

In a pinch do you still have your old computer lying around?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 11:41:56 AM
Are you attempting to boot from a disc or from a USB drive?

Are you able to access your BIOS/UEFI settings?

In a pinch do you still have your old computer lying around?

I was attempting to boot from my Windows 10 disk.  I don't have a USB with an operating system on it.

I can access the BIOS/UEFI.  I changed the setting to boot from the disk rather than the hard drive.

The reason I got this computer is my old one died (I think the motherboard was fried).

Barrister

Are you able to give the exact wording of the error message you are getting when you go to re-install windows?

viper37

Ah, I had weird problems too the other day.  And reinstalling Windows did not work.  And I remembered too late what Don'tSayBanana said later: in case of random & weird problem, blame the RAM.

So I would take it to the shop you just bought it, tell them your problem, tell them you suspect it's the RAM and ask them kindly to make some tests.

A motherboard problem could also be your cause, but the RAM is cheaper to check first.  Either way, it's unlikely to be software.

But if you want to bang your head on the wall a little more, remind me again which motherboard you bought?  Was it the Asus Z170?  Anyway, not that it would change anything to your problem, but you could try checking your BIOS to see if it's set to boot in EFI mode (it should by default).  Look for the BOOT menu in your BIOS, it should be obvious.  It will be necessary for a proper installation later anyway.  But it shouldn't change anything to your problems.

When Windows starts behaving strangely without reason, it could be a software or a hardware issue, but when it totally fails are reinstallation, it's usually a hardware problem, and the most likely culprit is RAM.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

ok, thanks.

I would like to try to reinstall windows first though.  Any tips about that?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 01:10:26 PM
ok, thanks.

But you did try to re-install Windows, and it didn't work.

I mentioned up above I suspect you're having a hardware problem.  Re-installing Windows is actually an easy process.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 01:10:26 PM
ok, thanks.

There's no way to install Windows from the command prompt on a new computer that I know of.  You can repair a Windows installation from the command prompt, but that rarely works in my experience.  And since you don't have a working installation of Windows, that's no use.

You need to boot on a DVD/USB key and start the installation from there.  You erase all partitions on your SSD, than you have Windows do a full format of the drive (look at the options), then you proceed with the install.  It could have been possible that a hard drive had a bad sector who could cause problem, but on a SSD, it's highly unlikely.  This works or doesn't work, just like a RAM stick.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

How do I erase everything from the SSD?

I think that is the problem.  When I boot up, the partial install is detected and it just goes into the loop of telling me to restart.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 01:23:19 PM

I think that is the problem.  When I boot up, the partial install is detected and it just goes into the loop of telling me to restart.

It's part of the install process.  One of the first steps.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 01:23:19 PM

It's part of the install process.  One of the first steps.

But since the installation process isn't doing that, I need to find another way.