And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer nightmares

Started by crazy canuck, October 22, 2015, 09:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 01:23:19 PM
How do I erase everything from the SSD?

I think that is the problem.  When I boot up, the partial install is detected and it just goes into the loop of telling me to restart.
boot from the USB/DVD.  When you boot, I think F2 or F12 opens the boot menu, you select your DVD/USB (where your installation medias is), then it will reproceed as a normal Windows installation.  Once there, when you select where you want Windows to be installed, you have a choice of formating or recreating partitions (maybe "Advanced"? gosh, I can't remember...), there you delete the partition on your SSD, than recreate a new one, than ask Windows to format it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 01:27:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2015, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 01:23:19 PM
How do I erase everything from the SSD?

I think that is the problem.  When I boot up, the partial install is detected and it just goes into the loop of telling me to restart.

It's part of the install process.  One of the first steps.

But since the installation process isn't doing that, I need to find another way.
If you can not even get there in the installation process by following my instructions, you have a hardware problem.

crazy canuck

One problem solved-I had to convert the drive to GPT.  Windows is now loading.  Fingers crossed.  Wierd that it needed to be converted.  I must have done something stupid when I was poking around last night.

crazy canuck

So the next problem.  Windows seemed to instal ok but it cannot detect my network hardware and so no internet connection.  Also windows does not accept my product key anymore...

Barrister

Network means you need to download the most recent network drivers from your MB company.

Product key... it took me to log in and talk to MS to get an new PK.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2015, 11:40:16 PM
So the next problem.  Windows seemed to instal ok but it cannot detect my network hardware and so no internet connection.  Also windows does not accept my product key anymore...

Windows only ships with limited generic network drivers.  Just use another computer to download the networking drivers from the motherboard maker's website, and put the installer on a flash drive.  Beeb's right about the product key- once you change the motherboard or processor, you have to contact Microsoft to get them to transfer the license to the new hardware.  It's just their way of making sure single-use OS discs are actually being used only for a single computer.
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Thanks, I found the install disk that came with the motherboard and used that to install the missing drivers.  Rebooted.  Everything was fine.  Network detected.  Internet connection working.  Started to update my video card drivers.  Then all hell started breaking lose again.  Screen started doing crazy things and then another crash.

So I am guessing there is something faulty with the motherboard.  Not sure what would screw up only after the drivers were installed but I will drop the box off at the store this morning and let them figure it out.

Thanks for your help all.

crazy canuck

Happy to report no hassles with NCIX, the tech said it was probably the video card but it might also be the RAM and maybe even a combination of both.  He said he would fully test it.  He really liked the parts Viper had picked out for me :) and said he would put this at the front of work list to get it back asap. 

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2015, 11:50:25 AM
Happy to report no hassles with NCIX, the tech said it was probably the video card but it might also be the RAM and maybe even a combination of both.  He said he would fully test it.  He really liked the parts Viper had picked out for me :) and said he would put this at the front of work list to get it back asap.

:thumbsup:  Good to hear!

I'm surprised you really bothered to try and fix it yourself, since you weren't interested in building it yourself.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Turns out it was a faulty video card which NCIX has now replaced.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2015, 09:46:20 AM
Turns out it was a faulty video card which NCIX has now replaced.

VRAM can do just as weird stuff as DD-RAM. :P  Glad you got it sorted.
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

So one more oddity I cant figure out.  The reason my windows key doesnt work is because I installed pro when I was reinstalling windows instead of home.  Which is kind of weird because I only have a home disk.  In any event the guy at the store told me to reinstall the home windows version from my disk, but when I try to do that the only option I get is to install pro.

Barrister

I don't know what to tell you other than to google your issue.

I had an odd situation last night.  My start menu wouldn't open.  Neither would the search box.  Which is kind of important as that is how you access most of your software, together with how you shutdown your computer.

Anyways I googled it, found a couple of suggestions on windows support.  I was not the first person to have this problem.  I had to use a keyboard shortcut to open up the command line, then give it the command to restart.  It took a very long time to restart, but then everything was working fine.