News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer nightmares

Started by crazy canuck, October 22, 2015, 09:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Google did not help unfortunately.  The only solution I found was reverting to a previous version of windows, which I cannot do.  I think I am going to have to phone someone at Microsoft to see what they think.

Grey Fox

By Windows key you mean serial key, right?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2015, 07:33:45 PM
So one more oddity I cant figure out.  The reason my windows key doesnt work is because I installed pro when I was reinstalling windows instead of home.  Which is kind of weird because I only have a home disk.  In any event the guy at the store told me to reinstall the home windows version from my disk, but when I try to do that the only option I get is to install pro.
don't waste time, call Microsoft support.

You can not easily revert from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 7 home, unless you wipe the disk clean.  So, forget about that, call MS, have them fix the serial# issue for you.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2015, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2015, 07:33:45 PM
So one more oddity I cant figure out.  The reason my windows key doesnt work is because I installed pro when I was reinstalling windows instead of home.  Which is kind of weird because I only have a home disk.  In any event the guy at the store told me to reinstall the home windows version from my disk, but when I try to do that the only option I get is to install pro.
don't waste time, call Microsoft support.

You can not easily revert from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 7 home, unless you wipe the disk clean.  So, forget about that, call MS, have them fix the serial# issue for you.

Yup.  I had to do that.  They were quite helpful.

Are you able to log into your computer at all?  If so you can do an online chat - virtually no waiting involved.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

So you recall where I find the link to start the chat?

The computer works fine.  I just want to have a legit copy running.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2015, 03:25:28 PM
So you recall where I find the link to start the chat?

The computer works fine.  I just want to have a legit copy running.

Ah - that was exactly the problem I had.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Then follow the link to Contact Support.  You'll need to make a Microsoft Account.

Do it when you have a little bit of time - it maybe took me an hour.  They remote logged into the computer for a portion of it.

crazy canuck

Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2015, 11:46:41 AM
I don't know what to tell you other than to google your issue.

I had an odd situation last night.  My start menu wouldn't open.  Neither would the search box.  Which is kind of important as that is how you access most of your software, together with how you shutdown your computer.

Anyways I googled it, found a couple of suggestions on windows support.  I was not the first person to have this problem.  I had to use a keyboard shortcut to open up the command line, then give it the command to restart.  It took a very long time to restart, but then everything was working fine.

When in doubt, I usually pull the power cable out to shut the computer down  :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on October 29, 2015, 09:05:12 PM

I had an odd situation last night.  My start menu wouldn't open.  Neither would the search box.  Which is kind of important as that is how you access most of your software, together with how you shutdown your computer.

Anyways I googled it, found a couple of suggestions on windows support.  I was not the first person to have this problem.  I had to use a keyboard shortcut to open up the command line, then give it the command to restart.  It took a very long time to restart, but then everything was working fine.

When in doubt, I usually pull the power cable out to shut the computer down  :blush:

Well I didn't do that, but I did shut it off using the main power switch a couple of times.  Didn't seem to work.  I think (given how fast the system reboots) that Win 10 must retain its system status in memory normally.

viper37

Sorry, I missed this.  Yeah, it's apparently a known bug from Windows.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.