News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The king is dead?

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 25, 2009, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 01, 2009, 01:45:02 AM
Incidentally, for people who think that IP is the same as real property and piracy is theft - shouldn't it work the other way round as well? I mean, if he left his kids a pot of gold, his estate's debtors would be able to recover their debts from it. So shouldn't the same apply to proceeds from his unreleased songs as well? :P
Sure, sounds good.

Scipio

Motherfucker.  I am so tired of this Michael Jackson shit.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jos Theelen

Quote from: Scipio on July 01, 2009, 06:42:04 AM
Motherfucker.  I am so tired of this Michael Jackson shit.

Look at the bright side. When he was alive, he was news every 3 years. I assume that will not happen anymore.

alfred russel

:lol:

This could be such a clever stunt. "Shit, we have no money. The guy was totally penniless. Ok, let's write 200 songs and pretend they were his."

Or maybe his handlers realized he wasn't long for this world, and probably the only way to generate excitement about new Michael Jackson material was to release it after his death. :tinfoil:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 30, 2009, 06:34:40 AM
:huh: For some reason I thought the guy who wrote 'Thriller' wrote 'Beat It' and 'Billie Jean' too.  Oops  :blush:

You're right, though, about him being a barely literate moron.  The grammar he used in his interviews was atrocious.  You'd think maybe at some point he'd have spent a few bucks on a tutor to help clean that up a bit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2009, 09:39:28 PM
Supposedly Jackson left his kids a catalog of 200 unreleased songs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31628166/ns/entertainment-gossip/

This could be such a clever stunt. "Shit, we have no money. The guy was totally penniless. Ok, let's write 200 songs and pretend they were his."

Lots of dead musicians have released music after they've passed. When they say he left 200 songs, that doesn't mean he left 200 sets of lyrics, they mean actual recordings. There's no way they could fake his voice.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

@spiess: Well, like I said, given the way his parents... "raised" him, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd never been to school at all.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Ok I have paid much attention to Jacko in the past 20 years so I am...well that is just weird his kids are white.  What did he pay some white dude to get his wife pregnant?  I thought the youngest was his test tube baby...

How bizarre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

:punk:

http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSTRE5601BS20090701?sp=true
QuoteMichael Jackson shatters chart records
Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:46am EDT
By Keith Caulfield

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - As expected, Michael Jackson is once again the King of the Pop charts.

Based on preliminary sales numbers from Nielsen SoundScan, the top nine positions on Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart will house Jackson-related titles when the tally is released in the early morning on Wednesday. Nielsen SoundScan's sales tracking week ended at the close of business Sunday (June 28) night.

Jackson himself -- who died June 25 of cardiac arrest at age 50 -- has a record eight out of the top 10, and a Jackson 5 compilation also finds its way into the upper tier.

"Number Ones" will fittingly lead the pack at No. 1 with sales of 108,000 (an increase of 2,340 percent) while "The Essential Michael Jackson" and "Thriller" are in the second and third slots with 102,000 and 101,000, respectively. Last week "Number Ones" was the only Jackson title on the chart, at No. 20 with 4,000 copies; both "Essential" and "Thriller" re-enter the tally this week.

Additionally, his classic 1979 studio set "Off the Wall" re-enters at No. 4 with 33,000 while his 1987 album "Bad" returns at No. 6 with 17,000. At No. 5, the Jackson 5's "The Ultimate Collection" debuts with 18,000. Jackson's fourth studio album for Epic Records, 1991's "Dangerous," re-enters at No. 7 with 14,000, and his 2001 compilation, "Greatest Hits: HIStory -- Volume 1," returns to the list at No. 8 with 12,000. Finally, Jackson's 2004 box set, "The Ultimate Collection," charts its first week on the Pop Catalog chart, arriving at No. 9 with 11,000.

The lone non-Jackson-related set in the top 10 is a reissue of the "Woodstock" movie soundtrack, which bows at No. 10 with 8,000.

CHART FIRSTS

Collectively, Jackson's solo albums sold 415,000 this past week. That's extraordinary, given that his titles sold a combined 10,000 in the week ended June 21. Of the 415,000, 58 percent were digital downloads.

The 415,000 albums sold last week represent nearly 40 percent more than sales of Jackson's catalog during the entire year up through June 21 (297,000).

On the Top Digital Albums chart, Jackson has a record six out of the top 10 slots, including the top four. "The Essential Michael Jackson" leads the Top Digital Albums list with 80,000 downloads sold, while "Thriller" is No. 2 with 57,000.

With the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." moving back to the No. 1 slot on the Billboard 200 chart with 88,000, this week marks the first time that a catalog album has sold more than the No. 1 current set on the Billboard 200 albums chart. (All three of Jackson's top sellers on the Pop Catalog chart outsell "The E.N.D.")

It's a feat that Jackson himself almost achieved when he reissued "Thriller" in February 2008. The set relaunched with 166,000, re-entering at No. 1 on the Top Pop Catalog chart. That week, Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static" led the Billboard 200 chart with 180,000 while Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" was at No. 2 with 115,000.

Catalog albums are ineligible to appear on the Billboard 200 albums chart, but they can chart on the all-encompassing Top Comprehensive Albums list. On the latter chart, Jackson's "Number Ones," "Essential" and "Thriller" are at Nos. 1-3, followed by the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." at No. 4.

NEW DIGITAL RECORD

Jackson places a record 25 songs on the 75-position Hot Digital Songs chart (21 solo hits and four with his siblings), smashing the mark of 14 charting titles established by David Cook in June 2008. Jackson's Halloween radio staple, "Thriller," moves 167,000, which is good for second place on the chart behind the 203,000 shifted by the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling."

"Thriller" was also Jackson's best digital seller in the week before his death, with 5,000 downloads, which translates to a 3,551 percent jump. Jackson's total volume of downloads this week -- including his tracks with the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons -- account for 2.6 million downloads, a remarkable number considering that last week's cumulative sum was 48,000. Moreover, Jackson becomes the first act to sell more than 1 million song downloads in a week.

Besides "Thriller," Jackson places five other songs in the top 10 including "Man in the Mirror" (No. 3, 165,000), "Billie Jean" (No. 4, 158,000), "The Way You Make Me Feel" (No. 6, 136,000), "Beat It" (No. 7, 134,000) and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (No. 8, 125,000).

Not surprisingly, each of the Jackson tracks in the top 10 of Hot Digital Songs was among the top 10 most-played Jackson selections on radio after his passing. According to research provided by Nielsen BDS of monitored airplay from more than 1,600 terrestrial and satellite radio stations and cable music channels, "Billie Jean" was the Jackson track with the most spins for the week ended June 28, with 4,540 -- 97 percent of which occurred after news of his death became public. The track posted only 318 plays in the previous week.

(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Fuck. I am trying to learn to sing Jackson's songs now, but it is going to take me months to train my voice to go that high without lapsing into falsetto.

The Brain

Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2009, 01:00:11 PM
Fuck. I am trying to learn to sing Jackson's songs now, but it is going to take me months to train my voice to go that high without lapsing into falsetto.

What about DADT?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: The Brain on July 01, 2009, 01:39:26 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2009, 01:00:11 PM

What about DADT?

He is too busy being made into his coworkers' pet bitch to help Phillip practice. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2009, 09:09:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2009, 09:39:28 PM
Supposedly Jackson left his kids a catalog of 200 unreleased songs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31628166/ns/entertainment-gossip/

Lots of dead musicians have released music after they've passed. When they say he left 200 songs, that doesn't mean he left 200 sets of lyrics, they mean actual recordings. There's no way they could fake his voice.

Hell, I think JRR Tolkein released more books after he was dead.

ulmont

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 01, 2009, 03:02:14 PM

Depends on how you score it.  Certainly more fiction, but Tolkien also had a bunch of nonfiction published while he was alive, which puts the living total over the edge if you include it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliography_of_J._R._R._Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 01, 2009, 03:02:14 PM
Only if you count retreads.  The only actual fiction books released after his death were The Silmarilian, Unfinished Tales, Roverandom, Mr. Bliss, The Father Christmas Letters, and The Legend of Sigurd and GudrĂșn.  He released ten books before his death (excluding nonfiction and recompilations).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!