Do you have relatives in the New/Old World?

Started by Archy, October 13, 2015, 12:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have relatives in the New/Old World?

I'm from the New World and I don't have any left.
9 (32.1%)
I'm from the New World and I've relatives in the Old Country.
4 (14.3%)
I'm from the Old World and I don't have any
6 (21.4%)
I'm from the Old World and I've relatives in the New World.
9 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: November 12, 2015, 12:59:55 AM

Archy

Out of curiosity to check the migrant  links languishians have.

Some definitions.
Relative (I'll go as far as brothers and sisters of grandparents)
New World(Americas and I would say Oceania)
Old World (Europe/Asia/Africa)

For myself I got two great aunts at the side of my father's grandmother who migrated and now live in Florida with the advent of the Internet in the 90's we got in contact again.
One nephew at my father's side is trying to start up a gaming company in California and married an US citizen so won't return.
Another nephew moved last year to Charlotte,  North Carolina on a tourist visum and under job leave.  He's going to marry his Colombian gf who has American citizenship. Unemployed at the moment and if it doesn't work out plans to come back to Belgium.

Richard Hakluyt

Close-ish relatives in Canada and Australia, more distant ones in USA, Malaysia etc etc

I would imagine it is a similar story for many British families. Which is why the interpretation of the word migrant as being somehow critical surprises me.

Eddie Teach

AFAIK, my folks have lived on this continent for centuries, though my mom's parents did immigrate here from Canada.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 13, 2015, 01:16:56 AM
AFAIK, my folks have lived on this continent for centuries, though my mom's parents did immigrate here from Canada.

Where did your papa'n folk come from?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Almost all my known relatives moved to Canada in the 90s.  Then everybody found out that it wasn't possible to make a living over there.  My parents and I moved back to Hong Kong after a few years.  The retirees tended to stay over there.  Those who have children tended to leave their wives and children in Canada, and "commuted" between the two continents.  It is complicated. 

Admiral Yi

One uncle and his immediate family live in Korea.

Syt

Old world: me, niece, nephew, mother. Some uncles/aunts/cousins we have no contact with.
New world: 3 sisters, 4 nephews, 2 nieces, plus in laws.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on October 13, 2015, 01:19:51 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 13, 2015, 01:16:56 AM

Where did your papa'n folk come from?

Scotland, originally.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

One of my mother's cousins is (was?) a professional golf caddy. Lives in California iirc. Don't think I've ever met him.

Other than that....my surname is pretty rare and it exists in the US (Google seems to suggest via ACW association mainly in the south :bleeding: ) so I guess there's some distant relatives.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Some cousins in the New World, mostly in Brazil.

Liep

We all cling to the old world. Though most of us have moved away from agriculture and now live in the capital.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Not really.

I know some distant relatives moved to the Americas. My granduncle moved to Brazil in early 1933, some other relatives (cousins of my grandparents or so) moved to North America sometime during the second half of the 20th century.

The Larch

My father has an aunt in Argentina, who went there at some point in the 60s or 70s. Contact with her has been lost for many years already.

Crazy_Ivan80

only very distant relatives, one of which worked for the "Gazette van Detroit" and another apparently worked for Nixon in some fashion. Most of them float about in the Detroit region, obviously.
But like I said: distant, so not eligable for the poll.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 13, 2015, 01:09:32 AM
Close-ish relatives in Canada and Australia, more distant ones in USA, Malaysia etc etc

I would imagine it is a similar story for many British families. Which is why the interpretation of the word migrant as being somehow critical surprises me.
Yep, Canada and Australia for me too.

I'm related by marriage to Paul Henderson, the Canadian ice hockey player who scored the winning goal against the USSR in the 1972 Summit Series at the height of the Cold War.