Do you have relatives in the New/Old World?

Started by Archy, October 13, 2015, 12:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have relatives in the New/Old World?

I'm from the New World and I don't have any left.
9 (32.1%)
I'm from the New World and I've relatives in the Old Country.
4 (14.3%)
I'm from the Old World and I don't have any
6 (21.4%)
I'm from the Old World and I've relatives in the New World.
9 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: November 12, 2015, 12:59:55 AM

viper37

Quote from: Archy on October 13, 2015, 12:59:55 AM
Out of curiosity to check the migrant  links languishians have.

Some definitions.
Relative (I'll go as far as brothers and sisters of grandparents)
New World(Americas and I would say Oceania)
Old World (Europe/Asia/Africa)

For myself I got two great aunts at the side of my father's grandmother who migrated and now live in Florida with the advent of the Internet in the 90's we got in contact again.
One nephew at my father's side is trying to start up a gaming company in California and married an US citizen so won't return.
Another nephew moved last year to Charlotte,  North Carolina on a tourist visum and under job leave.  He's going to marry his Colombian gf who has American citizenship. Unemployed at the moment and if it doesn't work out plans to come back to Belgium.
I had an aunt living in Switzerland for a while, but she's been back for a few years now. I'd hoped she stayed there though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

I got cousins, an uncle (mom's brother/his kids), and second cousins in Old World (Malta)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

No.  There's like five generations between me and anywhere in Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Nope.  Many generations removed from Europe now on both sides of the family.

In Princesca's family, her dad's cousin has exchanged letters with a very distant German relative, mostly related to genealogy stuff.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 13, 2015, 09:01:35 AM
I got cousins, an uncle (mom's brother/his kids), and second cousins in Old World (Malta)

Heh it always astonishes me that Toronto has its own ethnic Maltese neighbourhood up in the Junction. It just seems odd that such a small island had enough people come here to make their own ethnic enclave.  ;)

As for me, I have a brother in the UK (the other is in the US). My ancestors all came to the NW a long time ago - on my father's side, they were Puritans who settled in Mass. (there is still a museum there with my family name on it!) before moving north to Nova Scotia in the 18th century; on my mother's side, they came over before WW1 (in fact, it is unclear from exactly where: my great-grandmother spoke Polish, Russian, German and Yiddish - and had papers from Austro-Hungary and from Russia ... ). Smart move, that.  :D No doubt I was related to all sorts of Jews from that part of the world, but long ago lost all touch with them - plus they must have mostly died in WW2.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

What astonishes me about Malta is that they seem to cope with only 10 or so family names among them. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on October 13, 2015, 05:33:43 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 13, 2015, 01:09:32 AM
Close-ish relatives in Canada and Australia, more distant ones in USA, Malaysia etc etc

I would imagine it is a similar story for many British families. Which is why the interpretation of the word migrant as being somehow critical surprises me.
Yep, Canada and Australia for me too.

I'm related by marriage to Paul Henderson, the Canadian ice hockey player who scored the winning goal against the USSR in the 1972 Summit Series at the height of the Cold War.

:wub:  Tell me more.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on October 13, 2015, 09:19:10 AM
What astonishes me about Malta is that they seem to cope with only 10 or so family names among them. :P

I've read somewhere that 25% of Chinese share like 5 family names.  There are over a billion Chinese...

Valmy

Nope. Being descended almost exclusively from people from whatever I am allowed to call the British Isles that will not offend the touchy assholes from Ireland, I have no immigrants recent enough.

And the most recent immigrants I am descended from are Irish Catholics in the 1870s who did a fantastic job killing any and all links to the old world. For example they forbid their children from learning or speaking the...um...whatever I am supposed to call the language formerly known as Gaelic that was commonly spoken in County Donegal at the time. The only thing that was left was devout Catholicism but that ended with my father's generation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Nope.  I go back about 5 generations on both sides of my family.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2015, 09:31:42 AM
:wub:  Tell me more.
Not that close, he married my dad's cousin's daughter. I've met the second cousin and her husband and they're all a bit evangelical born again, as is Paul by all accounts. Between all that nearly dying business. 

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2015, 09:39:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 13, 2015, 09:19:10 AM

I've read somewhere that 25% of Chinese share like 5 family names.  There are over a billion Chinese...

Quite a few less Maltese.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Pedrito

Old Worlder, and all the known relatives I know of live in Europe.

I think a couple of distant cousins may live in the USA, but I'm not sure.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.