News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Many killed in Ankara bomb blast

Started by Syt, October 10, 2015, 04:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2015, 04:32:57 PM
Nonsense.  The United States is a country where religion plays a large role, it has since the 19th century.  Democracy has done fine.  In fact I would argue the exact opposite of what you say.  Countries where religion is weakened by the state also have weak democratic traditions.  Turkey is a prime example.  Others would be Russia, China, and Mexico.  France is a functional democracy (though closer to what Erdogan wanted), but French Democracy has a been pretty bumpy.  They are on their Fifth Republic after all.  Countries that limit religion are also limiting speech.

I have no idea why you mentioned China.  Chinese are extremely superstitious.  They believe in everything under the sun.  But that also means they aren't very religious to begin with.  They say the Lord's prayer in the morning, worship the Buddha in the afternoon and worry about fung shui in the evening.  They are not serious about it at all.  That China has weak democratic institutions has nothing to do with religion. 

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 11, 2015, 03:45:22 AM
Out of curiosity, I googled the current Swedish royal family, and most of them are not blonde. :hmm:

That happens when you put French and Germans on the throne. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2015, 08:09:49 AM
I'm hearing ISIS rumors.

What that ISIS persuaded the Turkish security services to dupe some ISIS suicide bombers into attacking the Kurds, yes I can see that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2015, 08:12:54 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2015, 08:09:49 AM
I'm hearing ISIS rumors.

What that ISIS persuaded the Turkish security services to dupe some ISIS suicide bombers into attacking the Kurds, yes I can see that.

It makes sense for ISIS to target a peace festival regardless of affiliation.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Minsky Moment

Erdogan is a tinpot dictator wannabe, a religious bigot, and hypocrite who thinks nothing of starting a little nasty civil war for a few poll points.

But is definitely not a libertarian.  If only he came out for the Laffer curve then we could get Raz to denounce him.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2015, 02:55:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2015, 06:23:06 PM
Now, I ask you as I asked Marty do you have any evidence that these suicide bombings are the work of the government?

What part of "I wouldn't put it past him" suggests I claim to have any evidence or proof that he did it?  :huh:

The expression simply means that, based on what I know about the man, he seems capable of doing something like this.

Then give me what you know to make you say that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2015, 10:41:57 AM
Erdogan is a tinpot dictator wannabe, a religious bigot, and hypocrite who thinks nothing of starting a little nasty civil war for a few poll points.

But is definitely not a libertarian.  If only he came out for the Laffer curve then we could get Raz to denounce him.

He's a conservative.  While I'm no fan of conservatives I don't believe that's enough to declare him the worst man alive and up end a country.  He's like Victor Orban, yet nobody suggests that Orban is launching suicide attacks, that he be overthrown by force or that he be jailed indefinitely for impromptu poetry jams.  What makes the difference?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 12:53:39 PM

He's a conservative.  While I'm no fan of conservatives I don't believe that's enough to declare him the worst man alive and up end a country.  He's like Victor Orban, yet nobody suggests that Orban is launching suicide attacks, that he be overthrown by force or that he be jailed indefinitely for impromptu poetry jams.  What makes the difference?

A few things. First, Orban is in no way considered a leader on the up and up - he is something of a disgrace.

But more to the point, check out the Ergenekon trials, that he previously belonged to new banned Islamist parties, and general corruption/ridiculousness (see the new presidential palace).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 12:36:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2015, 02:55:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2015, 06:23:06 PM
Now, I ask you as I asked Marty do you have any evidence that these suicide bombings are the work of the government?

What part of "I wouldn't put it past him" suggests I claim to have any evidence or proof that he did it?  :huh:

The expression simply means that, based on what I know about the man, he seems capable of doing something like this.

Then give me what you know to make you say that.

Gut feeling. :)

Razgovory

Okay, I have a gut feeling.  My gut feeling in that this animosity is because of the word "Muslim".

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on October 11, 2015, 01:20:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 12:53:39 PM

A few things. First, Orban is in no way considered a leader on the up and up - he is something of a disgrace.

But more to the point, check out the Ergenekon trials, that he previously belonged to new banned Islamist parties, and general corruption/ridiculousness (see the new presidential palace).

You know you have put way to many words here.  The word "Islamist" is enough, because let's be honest.  That's the problem we have isn't it?  Would anyone really give a shit if it was just corruption?

DGuller

Raz will defend any piece of shit that Languish atheists dislike.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 01:40:21 PM
Okay, I have a gut feeling.  My gut feeling in that this animosity is because of the word "Muslim".

Guess that makes Putin a Muslim too.