News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Many killed in Ankara bomb blast

Started by Syt, October 10, 2015, 04:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2015, 05:53:58 PM
It wasn't until 2013 that Putin took his gloves off and let everyone know that the pretense was up,

Eh, he invaded Georgia in 2008.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 06:11:48 PM
Okay, so what exactly has Erdogan touched off?  What fruits are there of his alleged Islamic fundamentalism?  I'm not seeing anything.  Are you going to show me something real?  After a while (and it has been a while), people might suspect that this Fascist/Islamic is but a figment of your imagination.
Not worth any more of my time.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 11, 2015, 06:16:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2015, 05:53:58 PM
It wasn't until 2013 that Putin took his gloves off and let everyone know that the pretense was up,

Eh, he invaded Georgia in 2008.
Not really related to domestic issues.  Russia has been waging a low-level warfare against Georgia ever since USSR broke up.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2015, 06:31:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 06:11:48 PM
Okay, so what exactly has Erdogan touched off?  What fruits are there of his alleged Islamic fundamentalism?  I'm not seeing anything.  Are you going to show me something real?  After a while (and it has been a while), people might suspect that this Fascist/Islamic is but a figment of your imagination.
Not worth any more of my time.

Oh, it doesn't take long to write "nothing".  We've argued a long time.  I'm asking you to put up or shut up.  If you got something, put it out.  Or is it because I ask for something concrete your time suddenly because vastly more important.  We can't just start offing people because you think that 20 years down the line he might turn out to be Hitler.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 06:44:14 PM
We've argued a long time.
Yes, that is precisely the point.  We're argued for a long time and haven't gotten anywhere.  To continue on now and "put up" would require me to make a long time researching what I would post, to make sure that I don't say anything inaccurate and give you an opening.  Given how the conversation went so far, I know that you'll ask me to put up again later, and later, and later.  At some point I would have to cut bait, so I may as well do it now. 

I'm not giving up on the argument, I'm giving up on my further participation in this discussion.  There are other people who share my view (actually it looks like everyone who's not you), so maybe one of them can continue on.  Though, really, it's not worth it.

Razgovory

Okay, no concrete facts.  Just tell me this: What makes you Feel this way about Turkey and that dingbat who likes to photographed with Ottoman solider cosplayers?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2015, 03:59:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 03:13:44 PM
that Erdogan suppressed military (which has overthrown the countries government something like four times) as the source of the animus rings a bit hollow.
And again you're making this up.  The source of animus is that Erdogan is becoming a fascist dictator, and is fanning the flames of Islamic extremism to get there.  The reason some people are sad to see the Turkish military defanged is that it would most certainly be the lesser evil than what Erdogan has become.  That however does not mean that him defanging the military is what all this is about.
In order to label Erdogan as Fascist you have to expand the definition of Fascism way, way beyond any previous definition.

Turkey actually has a lot o Fascists.  The CHP has Fascists.  The MHP are basically Nazis.  The AKP aren't really Fascists.  Erdogan has completely gone off the rails, and clearly looks to Putin as a model of transforming a formally democratic system in to a presidential post-democracy but that's not Fascism in any strict sense.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

It appears Prime Minister Davutoglu claims that the attack was either done by IS, PKK, or left wing extremists. That narrows it down.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on October 12, 2015, 04:05:59 AM
It appears Prime Minister Davutoglu claims that the attack was either done by IS, PKK, or left wing extremists. That narrows it down.

One newspaper is running with Assad ordered the attack and supported the PKK in doing it. :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

The Middle East is truly turning into chaos and oblivion if the version of  Israel doing the bombing is not the most prominent yet.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 12, 2015, 04:01:43 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2015, 03:59:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2015, 03:13:44 PM
that Erdogan suppressed military (which has overthrown the countries government something like four times) as the source of the animus rings a bit hollow.
And again you're making this up.  The source of animus is that Erdogan is becoming a fascist dictator, and is fanning the flames of Islamic extremism to get there.  The reason some people are sad to see the Turkish military defanged is that it would most certainly be the lesser evil than what Erdogan has become.  That however does not mean that him defanging the military is what all this is about.
In order to label Erdogan as Fascist you have to expand the definition of Fascism way, way beyond any previous definition.

Turkey actually has a lot o Fascists.  The CHP has Fascists.  The MHP are basically Nazis.  The AKP aren't really Fascists.  Erdogan has completely gone off the rails, and clearly looks to Putin as a model of transforming a formally democratic system in to a presidential post-democracy but that's not Fascism in any strict sense.

Yeah, there are explicitly Fascist and Islamist parties.  Erdogan's party isn't one of them.  They are part of an international coalition of conservative parties that include the GOP, and the Tories.  I imagine that a large part of the Ergdogan's success is that he's been liberalizing the economy and people have seen considerable economic growth as a result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_European_Conservatives_and_Reformists

The Minsky Moment

David Cameron doesn't engage in corruption  and then have the investigating police force fired.  He doesn't order the routine jailing of journalists who criticize him. He doesn't give speeches about the natural inferiority of women.   He doesn't restart the Irish troubles to get a few extra Conservative votes.  He doesn't seek to overturn the British constitution.  He didn't hit up the taxpayer to swap 10 Downing street for a massive palace three times the size of Versailles.   He doesn't say insane things about over interest rate lobbies and twitter conspiracies, or claims about early medieval Cornishmen discovering America.

His party may be in same rubber chicken circuit as the Tories but they are not equivalent

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Just to be clear, I'm not defending Erdogan at all, I just think that calling him Fascism is an obvious error.  Putin, today, comes very close to Fascism, and Erdogan might be slouching towards it, but still isn't there.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on October 12, 2015, 01:05:28 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not defending Erdogan at all, I just think that calling him Fascism is an obvious error.  Putin, today, comes very close to Fascism, and Erdogan might be slouching towards it, but still isn't there.

I have to admit I thought Erdogan was looking to Putin as the new model. But Putin siding with the Alawites against good Sunnis may ultimately change that.

I have no idea what Erdogan's game is but I do know the corruption his regime has introduced has made him a hated man among the Turks I know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on October 12, 2015, 01:05:28 PM

My impression is that Putin isn't an idealist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.