Oregon shooting: Initial reports of 10 dead at Umpqua Community College

Started by Syt, October 01, 2015, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2015, 02:35:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2015, 02:26:57 PM
I'm not hearing a great deal of thought put into the regulatory specifics.  In other words, what type of gun control is supposed to keep guns out of the hands of mass shooters?

Mandatory licensing in order to own firearms, requiring safety courses and background checks.

Bans on assault rifles and large capacity magazines.

Bans on carrying weapons in public places, open or concealed.

Ban private ownership of handguns.

Run afoul of the second amendment?  Probably.

That's not feasible in the US legal system.

I think background checks and waiting periods should, at least, deal with "spur of the moment" nutcases who, I would intuitively guess, account for most of the cases. Europe has the same problem with "long term planners" so you can't real eliminate that in any case.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I don't see what good background checks would do.  Most of the shooters in recent years have not been convicted of prior felonies and have not been diagnosed with a mental illness.  Unless we're going to deny gun licenses to people who dress kind of weird and are loners.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2015, 03:23:06 PM
I don't see what good background checks would do.  Most of the shooters in recent years have not been convicted of prior felonies and have not been diagnosed with a mental illness.  Unless we're going to deny gun licenses to people who dress kind of weird and are loners.

Exactly. I do not know what should be done about this. I don't know if the opposite, relaxing everything and allowing carry everywhere, is really the right answer either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

I like people that open carry...

...they become the first target and that allows the conceled carry people to respond to the situation. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

:hmm: Gun licenses?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2015, 01:12:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2015, 12:29:14 PM
Answering "christian" got you shot in the head.  Other answers got you shot in the leg.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/youre-going-to-see-god-oregon-shooter-asked-hostages-if-they-were-christians-witnesses-say

I wonder what "militant atheist" would have gotten...

I thought Stalin disbanded that group  :huh: :P.

What does a militant atheist do?

Does he strap a bomb vest on, walk into a church and blow it up. All in the name of Logic and Reason.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

:o A PAGAN. ONE OF THE WICKER PEOPLE.

QuotePhotos from MySpace The Oregon gunman who lined up his victims and asked specifically which ones were Christians before shooting them execution style, had a special interest in "magick" and "spiritualism" and had joined a dating website called "Spiritual Passion." On the site, Christopher Harper Mercer, 26, who killed 10 people and injured seven at Umpqua...

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2015/10/oregon-shooter-into-occult-wiccan-dating-website-shutters-public-access-to-killers-profile-3223138.html

11B4V

I thought the IRA was mainly catholic

He also made clear that he had a disdain for organized religion. Using the handle "IronCross45," Mercer describes himself as a "not religious," man who lives with his parents. He belonged to a group on the site who shared common interests in "magick and the occult." Under the category of "Religious Views," Mercer wrote that he is not religious but is "spiritual" and was interested in "pagan" and "wiccan."

He listed "vampire, piercings, psychic, tattoos" under the category of "Individuality."

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/oregon-shooter-into-occult-wiccan/#SuZQt2QY9rJ9rLt8.99

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2015, 03:25:09 PM

Exactly. I do not know what should be done about this. I don't know if the opposite, relaxing everything and allowing carry everywhere, is really the right answer either.

Shit no.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2015, 06:55:50 PM
How about Obamaguns?  Everybody gets a gun!

I don't want Raz to have a gun. Nothing personal, however.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on October 02, 2015, 07:08:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2015, 06:55:50 PM
How about Obamaguns?  Everybody gets a gun!

I don't want Raz to have a gun. Nothing personal, however.

I had a gun.  Gave it up.  I didn't think was right for me to have. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017