Oregon shooting: Initial reports of 10 dead at Umpqua Community College

Started by Syt, October 01, 2015, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2015, 12:29:14 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 01, 2015, 05:04:41 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 01, 2015, 04:59:03 PM
13 dead :(

Gunman was killed in a shootout with police, not sure if he's included in that count.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/oregon-college-shooting/multiple-casualties-after-shooting-umpqua-community-college-n437051

This is odd:

QuoteThe shooter told people to get on the ground and started asking them people to stand up and state their religion, Moore told the newspaper.

I wonder what was the "right answer".

Answering "christian" got you shot in the head.  Other answers got you shot in the leg.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/youre-going-to-see-god-oregon-shooter-asked-hostages-if-they-were-christians-witnesses-say

I wonder what you got for a Discordian Thelemite Jungian.  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 02, 2015, 12:46:10 PM
So I guess you guys just need to mobilise and change the system by electing people who are not hostage to the gun lobby - that is if you cared enough about it to do something instead of bitching on online forums. :D

The problem is I am not sure what exactly I want beyond not being held hostage by the gun lobby.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

So I guess you guys just need to mobilise and change the system by electing people who are not hostage to the gun lobby - that is if you cared enough about it to do something instead of bitching on online forums. :D

It doesn't work that way - we don't get options between those who are willing to enact more gun restrictions and those who are not, since the system weeds out those who are willing before they are ever a choice for most.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

There has been a call to not glorify the shooter or mention his name or background.

Unsurprisingly, I've read a lot of comments from people who filled in the void by making him a Muslim terrorist with ties to ISIS here to execute Christians.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Ah so withholding the name of the shooter to rob him of his 15 minutes triggers conspiracy theories? Shocking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

You seem to be operating under the assumption that America is a democracy or a republic, rather than a plutocracy. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

This is the kind of empty statement that is easy to make in online debates about individual issues, but not easy to do.  This is but one of many important positions a representative will have.  What am I supposed to do if all the potential candidates have a position I don't like on at least key issue?

Martinus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 02, 2015, 01:55:21 PM

This is the kind of empty statement that is easy to make in online debates about individual issues, but not easy to do.  This is but one of many important positions a representative will have.  What am I supposed to do if all the potential candidates have a position I don't like on at least key issue?

Run!

lustindarkness

Quote from: Jaron on October 02, 2015, 01:26:45 PM
There has been a call to not glorify the shooter or mention his name or background.

Yeah, there is a bit of that in this story: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-school-shooting-hero/

QuoteSome on social media hailed Mintz's courage and encouraged people to remember him rather than the killer.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

I'm not hearing a great deal of thought put into the regulatory specifics.  In other words, what type of gun control is supposed to keep guns out of the hands of mass shooters?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2015, 02:26:57 PM
I'm not hearing a great deal of thought put into the regulatory specifics.  In other words, what type of gun control is supposed to keep guns out of the hands of mass shooters?

Indeed. That is the thing. I am not sure what regulation is required. But somehow I don't think continuing to put more guns out there is the solution either.

Edit: As in the calls to make carry legal everywhere.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2015, 02:26:57 PM

Mandatory licensing in order to own firearms, requiring safety courses and background checks.

Bans on assault rifles and large capacity magazines.

Bans on carrying weapons in public places, open or concealed.

Ban private ownership of handguns.

Run afoul of the second amendment?  Probably.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah I was about to say assault weapons are usually not the issue, handguns are...but you had that covered  :P

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017