Oregon shooting: Initial reports of 10 dead at Umpqua Community College

Started by Syt, October 01, 2015, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/index.html

Quote(CNN)Preliminary information indicates 10 people were killed and more than 20 others injured in a shooting at Oregon's Umpqua Community College on Thursday, said Oregon State Police spokesman Bill Fugate.

Douglas County Commissioner Chris Boice told CNN that the shooter is in custody. It was not immediately clear whether the shooter was injured.

ATF agents were on the scene and canine teams are en route to search for explosives, fire arms casings and ammunition, a spokesman said.

Earlier, authorities told had said they were responding to reports of an active shooter at the Roseburg college campus.

Roseburg is a city of about 22,000 people located about 70 miles south of Eugene, Oregon, and some 180 miles south of Portland.

A picturesque campus in the North Umpqua River Valley, the school prides itself on a "a peaceful, safe atmosphere, and year-round recreational activities," according to its website.

It's not a traditional institution of higher learning, as the average age of its 13,600 students was 38 during the 2013-2014 school year. Only 740 of those were full time, 2,437 were part time and more than 10,000 fell under the umbrella of "community education."

It first began teaching classes out of rented facilities in 1961. Elton and Ruth Jackson donated 98.5 acres to house the campus in 1965.

:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Fuck. This just happens too often in the US, guys. It's not even unusual any more.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 01, 2015, 04:59:03 PM
13 dead :(

Gunman was killed in a shootout with police, not sure if he's included in that count.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/oregon-college-shooting/multiple-casualties-after-shooting-umpqua-community-college-n437051

This is odd:

QuoteThe shooter told people to get on the ground and started asking them people to stand up and state their religion, Moore told the newspaper.

I wonder what was the "right answer".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on October 01, 2015, 05:04:41 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 01, 2015, 04:59:03 PM
13 dead :(

Gunman was killed in a shootout with police, not sure if he's included in that count.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/oregon-college-shooting/multiple-casualties-after-shooting-umpqua-community-college-n437051

This is odd:

QuoteThe shooter told people to get on the ground and started asking them people to stand up and state their religion, Moore told the newspaper.

I wonder what was the "right answer".
Huitzilopochtli?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Malthus would have been the perfect person to ask.  By the time he had fully explained how his religious views should probably be characterized the police would have arrived on the scene and arrested the shooter.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2015, 06:38:56 PM
Malthus would have been the perfect person to ask.  By the time he had fully explained how his religious views should probably be characterized the police would have arrived on the scene and arrested the shooter.
Does it really take that long to say "I'm a non-observant Jew"? Or are Malthus beliefs more complicated than I recall? :unsure:

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

:lol:

Martinus

:D

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on October 01, 2015, 02:03:16 PM
Terrible. I assume no clue as to motive yet.

Just another emo, narcissistic wanker I expect..............with easy access to lethal hardware.

In Europe he would have had to make do with running about campus with a small penknife.