News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reproductions or original art?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2015, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ever notice how hand job and nose job mean two completely different concepts?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2015, 09:46:20 AM
If nothing else, doing it this way means you're supporting living, breathing artists, and not just the talentless heirs of long-dead artists.

I'd guess most of the artists I like are in the public domain by now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Some of my favorites on my walls are a couple of Japanese woodcuts by Hiroshige, modern made using the old techniques. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

If you have the cash to afford original art, buy it. Your patronage can make a real difference to a young artist and keep them in the game. You may not be able to afford an established name - only oligarchs can these days - but that doesn't mean you can't find exciting original pieces to your taste.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2015, 10:41:04 AM
Some of my favorites on my walls are a couple of Japanese woodcuts by Hiroshige, modern made using the old techniques. :)

That's cool.  Did they use his original blocks, or were the woodcuts a reproduction?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on September 14, 2015, 12:40:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2015, 10:41:04 AM

That's cool.  Did they use his original blocks, or were the woodcuts a reproduction?

I'm pretty sure it's reproduction woodcuts. I don't have the documentation at hand right now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Warspite on September 14, 2015, 12:24:16 PM
If you have the cash to afford original art, buy it. Your patronage can make a real difference to a young artist and keep them in the game. You may not be able to afford an established name - only oligarchs can these days - but that doesn't mean you can't find exciting original pieces to your taste.

There's nothing wrong with Warspite's advice, but the most important thing is to buy something you like, whether it's an original or a reproduction.  You're going to be the one who spends the most time looking at it.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2015, 02:08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure it's reproduction woodcuts. I don't have the documentation at hand right now.

That's still cool.  I've got a couple woodcuts from the end of the 19th beginning of the 20th century and a contemporary one.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus

Quote from: dps on September 14, 2015, 02:13:01 PM
Quote from: Warspite on September 14, 2015, 12:24:16 PM

There's nothing wrong with Warspite's advice, but the most important thing is to buy something you like, whether it's an original or a reproduction.  You're going to be the one who spends the most time looking at it.

Yeah. My problem with original "young" art is that I tried looking for something I like and I hate most of it. It seems Polish young artists' favourite style these days is "vomit paint on canvas" - I like stylised surrealist art like that of Dali or William Blake and that just does not seem to be the style de jour.

Martinus

On top of that, I find that the subject of the work of art is as important to me as whether it is pleasing visually - so I am not just satisfied with, say, a picture of a duck or a tree even if I like it esthetically - it should concern a topic that is of interest to me. That makes finding an affordable original piece of art very difficult.

Valmy

Certainly there are artists doing some retro stuff, right? We still have landscape painters for Godsake and those stopped being interesting to the artistic community in 1850 or so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2015, 10:15:19 AM
We still have landscape painters for Godsake and those stopped being interesting to the artistic community in 1850 or so.

Eh? Majority of Dali's paintings are landscapes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I just find this thread surreal.  I mean, I know languish as a whole is rich and Martinus is super rich.  But talking about buying original art is just...in the stratosphere.  I have no idea how much art costs, but I presume lots and lots and lots of zeros are involved  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 15, 2015, 10:24:00 AM
I just find this thread surreal.  I mean, I know languish as a whole is rich and Martinus is super rich.  But talking about buying original art is just...in the stratosphere.  I have no idea how much art costs, but I presume lots and lots and lots of zeros are involved  :lol:

You go to an art fair and pay a few hundred bucks or so. Artists are starving for a reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

You can get works from unknown local artists easily in the low triple digits here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.