News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reproductions or original art?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2015, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So I am considering getting some art for my flat, but obviously can't afford better known ones, so the question is - should I get reproductions of art I like or is it lame and I should try to find original art within my price range? What's your view on this, in particular on having reproductions on your walls?

Valmy

I find nothing wrong with having reproductions hanging. The reaction I usually get is 'oh I love that painting' if I get one at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

That's good to hear. I like some stuff by, say, Dali or Alphonse Mucha and I think it would work well with my decor but I was afraid of "how lame" reactions.

Eddie Teach

Anyone who says reproductions are lame is being pretentious.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

For my new apartment I went with Kandinsky. There's plenty online shops that sell high quality prints.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

My white walls are so beautiful that no decoration is necessary.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2015, 09:17:12 AM
For my new apartment I went with Kandinsky. There's plenty online shops that sell high quality prints.

Could you recommend any that you have used and turned out fine?

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 14, 2015, 09:20:49 AM
My white walls are so beautiful that no decoration is necessary.

White walls... *shudders*

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 09:24:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2015, 09:17:12 AM

Could you recommend any that you have used and turned out fine?

I went with Kunst Für Alle: http://www.kunst-fuer-alle.de/ and am happy with the delivered products.

Allposters seems to be widely popular: http://www.allposters.com/ They also have various framing options.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

At my new house, the only stuff I have hanging on my walls so far is a framed WWII propaganda poster (Uncle Sam pointing at the viewer and demanding "I want YOU for a war job!") and a portrait of my great-great grandfather in his military school uniform, circa 1880.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Ok, I got the wording slightly wrong... it's this poster:

I also have a 'loose lips sink ships' one with a drowned sailor washed up on a beach, but haven't gotten around to hanging it yet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Find/support those lesser-known starving artists whose style you like.  They might be Picasso's someday!

DontSayBanana

Some repros here, but mostly I just seek out artists I find interesting.  So I'm more likely to leave a convention's artist's alley with some prints by someone I found interesting than I am to pick up, say, a Roy Lichtenstein repro (although I considered picking one up last time I saw one at IKEA).
Experience bij!

celedhring

I go with a mix of popular and pretentious movie posters.

Barrister

Just one man's opinion:

I don't really love getting prints of really famous artists.  Stuff like Dali, or Kandinsky, that most people would know immediately is a reproduction or a famous artist.  My concern is that it says "I have no taste of my own, so I just got copies of what is popular".

In any city there are plenty of living artists who are locally famous, but not reaching exorbitant prices.

In my case at home we have several numbered prints from Yukon artists (Haven't bought any since coming to Edmonton).  They're limited reproductions - only 200, or 500, or whatever are made.  Marty you've almost certainly got my disposable income than I do, so you could afford originals from living artists.  Go and check out some local Warsaw galleries and see if there's anything you like.

If nothing else, doing it this way means you're supporting living, breathing artists, and not just the talentless heirs of long-dead artists.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.