And we're back!

Main Menu

Reproductions or original art?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2015, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2015, 09:36:41 AM
Ok, I got the wording slightly wrong... it's this poster:

I also have a 'loose lips sink ships' one with a drowned sailor washed up on a beach, but haven't gotten around to hanging it yet.

I'm surprised you didn't digitally change the wording to "...blow job".  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Posters for me smack too much of a coffee shop or a teenager's bedroom. :P

Malthus

My walls have a mixture - mostly originals (several by me  ;) ), and a print - specifically because I like the artist and subject a lot (it's a print of Mayan ruins by Catherwood).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

My walls are just covered in maps with little red pins in them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

I like some of Dali's religious-themed art (not your typial "clocks hanging on branches" stuff).

I'd also consider something by Blake.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2015, 09:53:28 AM
My walls are just covered in maps with little red pins in them.

I hope there are red threads running between the pins too.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2015, 09:46:20 AM
Just one man's opinion:

I don't really love getting prints of really famous artists.  Stuff like Dali, or Kandinsky, that most people would know immediately is a reproduction or a famous artist.  My concern is that it says "I have no taste of my own, so I just got copies of what is popular".

In any city there are plenty of living artists who are locally famous, but not reaching exorbitant prices.

In my case at home we have several numbered prints from Yukon artists (Haven't bought any since coming to Edmonton).  They're limited reproductions - only 200, or 500, or whatever are made.  Marty you've almost certainly got my disposable income than I do, so you could afford originals from living artists.  Go and check out some local Warsaw galleries and see if there's anything you like.

If nothing else, doing it this way means you're supporting living, breathing artists, and not just the talentless heirs of long-dead artists.

This is assuming we're treating the house as a gallery and purchasing art for the sole purpose of impressing others.  I have a repro of "Starry Night" not because I give a crap what anybody thinks about my taste, but because I like to have it there to look at without having to go online or go to an art museum (not that I dislike frequent trips to art museums).
Experience bij!

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 09:54:03 AM
I like some of Dali's religious-themed art (not your typial "clocks hanging on branches" stuff).

I'd also consider something by Blake.

My guide for reproductions: you can't go wrong if you chose a good-quality print of art you personally like.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 09:50:22 AM

I would say it depends on the style of the room. Also, whether the pictures are glued to the wall or if they're in a proper glass frame. I like simple black rimmed glass frames.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Find some youngish, relatively unknown local artist whose work you can stand and then you can get in at price point that's not too bad. 

If you're serious about the art and do your research you can find someone who is talented and going to stick with the art as a career and some day your piece(s) might be worth considerably more and hopefully you like their work. 

Reproductions & prints are fine, but make sure they're framed properly.  A poorly matted Mucha piece, as beautiful as his work is, might come off like you've tacked up a post card.

garbon

I'm not a big fan of prints of most famous works / definitely not a fan of auction houses like Christie's selling prints at a high price. What a great scam they have going on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I just put frame up pictures of my kids but I have some old disney framed posters in my children rooms.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2015, 09:58:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 09:50:22 AM

I would say it depends on the style of the room. Also, whether the pictures are glued to the wall or if they're in a proper glass frame. I like simple black rimmed glass frames.

That's true.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2015, 09:49:15 AM
I'm surprised you didn't digitally change the wording to "...blow job".  :P
You know that is a GREAT idea. :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points