Homeopathy conference ends in chaos after delegates take hallucinogenic drug

Started by Hamilcar, September 08, 2015, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 10, 2015, 11:39:11 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2015, 08:06:07 AM
Placebo treatment is of course fine, as long as the underlying condition isn't actually serious. Not so fine if it is. The issue is whether homeopathic practitioners can tell the difference.

No, it's not ok. It's fraud.

I happen to agree with you - please read what I was responding to: the notion that what basicially amounts to a placebo treatment at least does no harm. My point is that it can, and seriously, if the practitioner of this particular form of fraud cannot tell the difference between a minor, psychosomatic complaint, and a significant underlying condition.

If the person has a minor psychosomatic complaint, feeding them water pills does no harm (fraud or not). However, if they are taking water pills for a serious condition, it can harm them significantly, because they won't get the treatment they actually need. I have no confidence that practitioners of this particular fraud have the training or inclination to say 'woah, you have a serious condition. Don't take these placebos, get yourself to a real doctor'. Thus, I think this particular type of fraud has the potential to do serious harm.

An example of a particularly harmful form of fraud is "homeopathic vaccines" or "nosodes". Which, of course, are totally worthless.

http://vitalitymagazine.com/article/homeopathic-vaccines-an-alternative-to-conventional-needles/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2015, 12:06:50 PM
Religion is fraud on a much grander scale and having many more negative consequences than homeopathy.

The anti-vaccine movement seems like it has a quite a lot of negative consequences.  Interesting fact:  The counter-religion movement in Republican Spain killed more people in under 3 years then the Spanish Inquisition did in over 300.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 09, 2015, 06:52:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2015, 06:50:11 PM
Contradictory results.  Best answer:  The Godfather.

Raiders of the Lost Ark. Though Godfather was very good.

Yeah, you gave like four answers.  Indiana Jones, Star Wars, the Godfather and something else.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2015, 12:22:07 PM
An example of a particularly harmful form of fraud is "homeopathic vaccines" or "nosodes". Which, of course, are totally worthless.

http://vitalitymagazine.com/article/homeopathic-vaccines-an-alternative-to-conventional-needles/

Why did you link to a story that says homeopathic vaccines are safe and effective?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2015, 01:22:28 PM

Why did you link to a story that says homeopathic vaccines are safe and effective?

To demonstrate that people such a thing exists?

Malthus

To demonstrate that some people actually claim that? Of course we know full well they aren't "effective", any more than water is.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/vaccine-alternatives-offered-by-homeopaths-irresponsible-1.2852408
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2015, 01:35:42 PM

To demonstrate that some people actually claim that? Of course we know full well they aren't "effective", any more than water is.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/vaccine-alternatives-offered-by-homeopaths-irresponsible-1.2852408

Why do you link to a story that says homeopathic vaccines are unsafe and ineffective?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

If the person has a minor psychosomatic complaint, feeding them water pills does no harm (fraud or not). However, if they are taking water pills for a serious condition, it can harm them significantly, because they won't get the treatment they actually need. I have no confidence that practitioners of this particular fraud have the training or inclination to say 'woah, you have a serious condition. Don't take these placebos, get yourself to a real doctor'.

As best as I can tell, the vast majority of homeopathic practitioners are not deliberately defrauding people;  they actually believe the nonsense that they spout.  Given that, of course they're not going to send you to a real doctor.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2015, 01:18:11 PM
The anti-vaccine movement seems like it has a quite a lot of negative consequences.  Interesting fact:  The counter-religion movement in Republican Spain killed more people in under 3 years then the Spanish Inquisition did in over 300.

I don't understand this post.  The first sentence has nothing to do with the second which seems to be a  non sequiturs.   And I don't get the connection between the Inquisition and the Spanish Civil War.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

I believe Raz has a running feud with Marty(and Viking before) over religion.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2015, 04:58:03 PM

I don't understand this post.  The first sentence has nothing to do with the second which seems to be a  non sequiturs.   And I don't get the connection between the Inquisition and the Spanish Civil War.

You don't see any connection between the Spanish Inquisition and a social movement in Spain to counter the effects of organization and religious philosophy that began the Inquisition in that country?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2015, 07:03:17 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2015, 04:58:03 PM

You don't see any connection between the Spanish Inquisition and a social movement in Spain to counter the effects of organization and religious philosophy that began the Inquisition in that country?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Interesting fact:  the Franco-Prussian War killed more people in 9 months than the Third Punic War killed in three years.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2015, 08:20:23 PM
Interesting fact:  the Franco-Prussian War killed more people in 9 months than the Third Punic War killed in three years.