Homeopathy conference ends in chaos after delegates take hallucinogenic drug

Started by Hamilcar, September 08, 2015, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 10, 2015, 05:02:19 PM
I believe Raz has a running feud with Marty(and Viking before) over religion.

Raz is the defender of the faith.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2015, 08:43:37 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 10, 2015, 08:00:39 PM

Well Hitler was obviously lying with that one.

He was more an early manifestation of the Teabaggers, if the Teabaggers actually had power. :P Hopefully one day, Religion will be just a study in collective insanity.

Quote"I swear by God this sacred oath that to the Leader of the German empire and people, Adolf Hitler, supreme commander of the armed forces, I shall render unconditional obedience and that as a brave soldier I shall at all times be prepared to give my life for this oath."

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."-Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on September 10, 2015, 08:49:49 PM
He was more an early manifestation of the Teabaggers, if the Teabaggers actually had power. :P Hopefully one day, Religion will be just a study in collective insanity.

Doubtful. People love insanity.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2015, 08:20:23 PM
Interesting fact:  the Franco-Prussian War killed more people in 9 months than the Third Punic War killed in three years.

As far as I know, there are no accurate records from the Third Punic war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

My only point in this thread is that some of the people here who are very hostile to homeopathy seem to be religious. This does not compute for me - that's like wanting to ban trans fats while smoking 5 cigarette packets a day. I don't have a beef with Hami who, as far as I know, is an atheist.

Martinus

For the record, my mum is a homeopathy afficionado (she used to practice as a "normal" doctor until her mum died of very painful cancer and she suffered a crisis of "faith" in Western medicine). This is not to say she would use homeopathy to cure cancer, but I see nothing harmful in her reading books on it and taking sugar pills (and feeding them to my dad) when she gets common cold or a bruise.

She certainly does less harm than if she was sending her money to some preacher or church.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 02:24:20 AM
For the record, my mum is a homeopathy afficionado (she used to practice as a "normal" doctor until her mum died of very painful cancer and she suffered a crisis of "faith" in Western medicine). This is not to say she would use homeopathy to cure cancer, but I see nothing harmful in her reading books on it and taking sugar pills (and feeding them to my dad) when she gets common cold or a bruise.

She certainly does less harm than if she was sending her money to some preacher or church.

You are a cretin.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 02:19:58 AM
My only point in this thread is that some of the people here who are very hostile to homeopathy seem to be religious. This does not compute for me - that's like wanting to ban trans fats while smoking 5 cigarette packets a day. I don't have a beef with Hami who, as far as I know, is an atheist.

Which religious people are you talking about? If you mean me that is hilariously stupid.

Valmy

Sure and there is nothing harmful about any other sort of mojo so long everybody is aware it is just mojo. I think Tarot Cards are cool, and enjoy fooling around with them, but I would have contempt for somebody who thought there was actually something magical about them.

'I have lost my 'faith' in my financial planner so now I am going to use my astrologer to decide all my investments'

Well maybe that is a bad example.

But anyway I do not actually hate them, I just do not like how they constantly lobby to get public health funds. Like in the UK they fight to get on the NHS and, as Malthus pointed out, they waste government resources getting their shit approved. The 'alternative medicine' crowd does the same shit here. Health care resources are limited, this is not harmless.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 07:25:04 AM
I think Tarot Cards are cool, and enjoy fooling around with them, but I would have contempt for somebody who thought there was actually something magical about them.

What rather rude view. Just think how it is when people say that about the 'magic' of Christianity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 08:12:46 AM
What rather rude view. Just think how it is when people say that about the 'magic' of Christianity.

I would indeed raise an eyebrow if somebody claimed I could do magic with Christianity.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 08:17:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 08:12:46 AM

I would indeed raise an eyebrow if somebody claimed I could do magic with Christianity.

:rolleyes:

I don't think there is anything surprising about the idea that there are miracles in Christianity.

Anyway, my point is again, I think it is rather rude to hold someone in contempt for believing in quasi-magical things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 08:35:21 AM
I don't think there is anything surprising about the idea that there are miracles in Christianity.

Anyway, my point is again, I think it is rather rude to hold someone in contempt for believing in quasi-magical things.

Well it totally depends on how things play out. The contempt comes into play when the magical stuff is used as an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for things. And there is nothing rude about thinking things I hope.

Just like if somebody was sitting around not doing shit just waiting for God to magic their problems away, when there is plenty of shit they should be doing, I would suggest they are missing the point. If you are using Tarot Cards to gain inspiration then sure, but don't tell me 'I was going to apply for that job but the Tarot cards said it was a bad idea'. Um take another reading.

Razgovory

http://www.antivaccinebodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017