Homeopathy conference ends in chaos after delegates take hallucinogenic drug

Started by Hamilcar, September 08, 2015, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 09, 2015, 03:51:20 PM
I never understood the deal with chiropractors. Of course, I can crack and pop my back and neck without paying someone to do it for me, so I have never had to research them.
Princesca was going to a chiropractor for a while (not sure if she still is).  She said it was helping her.  Her chiropractor didn't say any of that nutty shit chiropractors are infamous for, though ("If I crack your back like so all of your other health issues will go away!")
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Homeopathy used to bother me more, but it's relatively harmless and probably decreases unnecessary utilization of more expensive modern medicine. If get your back pain and headaches "treated" by a chiropractic shaman, it's one less person at the emergency department getting an inappropriate MRI or CT scan and thousands of dollars of associated charges.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2015, 06:50:11 PM
Contradictory results.  Best answer:  The Godfather.

Raiders of the Lost Ark. Though Godfather was very good.

Jaron

grumbler should never, EVER be capitalized. It implies a sense of importance and grandeur that defies a man of his humility and grace.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

maggie and millie and grumbler and may,
went down to the shore to play one day.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2015, 04:52:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2015, 02:22:59 PM

Unless I am missing something, I don't see there is any particular link between homeopathy and Monsanto.

People who practice homeopathic remedies often have an extreme aversion with things that "Mess with nature".  Monsanto is typically public enemy number one.  Here's a rationalist that you happen to like (at least you listen to his podcasts), ranting about "Frankenfood".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSw3fYnICc

My point was a lot of reasonable people are against Monsanto, not just loons.

Legbiter

At least they got an effective dose of something, unlike their customers.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

Quote from: Fate on September 09, 2015, 06:44:52 PM
Homeopathy used to bother me more, but it's relatively harmless and probably decreases unnecessary utilization of more expensive modern medicine. If get your back pain and headaches "treated" by a chiropractic shaman, it's one less person at the emergency department getting an inappropriate MRI or CT scan and thousands of dollars of associated charges.

The interesting thing about homeopathy was that when it was actually developed, it was probably superior to mainstream medicine of the day - better a harmless placebo, than the fearsome range of 18th century medicine.  ;)

Placebo treatment is of course fine, as long as the underlying condition isn't actually serious. Not so fine if it is. The issue is whether homeopathic practitioners can tell the difference. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 09, 2015, 03:51:20 PM
I never understood the deal with chiropractors. Of course, I can crack and pop my back and neck without paying someone to do it for me, so I have never had to research them.
It depends on your problem.  It can be good for back or neck problems, decent for other muscular problems, but if you find a chiropractor that tells you he can cure everything but cracking your back, move away!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2015, 02:13:57 AM

My point was a lot of reasonable people are against Monsanto, not just loons.

Sounds like something a loon would say.  Now I know this sort of stupidity is mainstream in Europe, but it still either insane or stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hamilcar

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2015, 08:06:07 AM
Placebo treatment is of course fine, as long as the underlying condition isn't actually serious. Not so fine if it is. The issue is whether homeopathic practitioners can tell the difference.

No, it's not ok. It's fraud.

Martinus

Religion is fraud on a much grander scale and having many more negative consequences than homeopathy.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2015, 12:06:50 PM
Religion is fraud on a much grander scale and having many more negative consequences than homeopathy.

Glad to see you back on the forum Viking I had missed you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."