Homeopathy conference ends in chaos after delegates take hallucinogenic drug

Started by Hamilcar, September 08, 2015, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 09, 2015, 01:55:17 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2015, 01:53:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2015, 09:09:27 AM
I'm guessing they were pranked. A very cruel thing to do, if so.

Oh I assumed that was intentional. I don't understand the hate against these people.

Homeopathy causes significant harm as people take sugar pills instead of real medicine. Frankly, it should be illegal.

Yes. Yes, it should.

Malthus

Oh I assumed that was intentional. I don't understand the hate against these people.

It's a form of quackery, and people don't like quacks. That doesn't excuse drugging them, of course (assuming they were drugged without their knowledge).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2015, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2015, 01:58:48 PM

Just glad we do not have them over here (for the most part). Our quackery is Chiropractology. But at least that encourages people to have good posture and take vitamins.

It's funny how just yesterday you lectured me about my "bigotry" against Christians. At least homeopaths do not want to pass laws restricting other people's freedoms. It's amazing how much of a hypocrite you can be.

Oh?  Just say the word "Monsanto", and see how restricting they can be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2015, 02:18:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2015, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2015, 01:58:48 PM

Just glad we do not have them over here (for the most part). Our quackery is Chiropractology. But at least that encourages people to have good posture and take vitamins.

It's funny how just yesterday you lectured me about my "bigotry" against Christians. At least homeopaths do not want to pass laws restricting other people's freedoms. It's amazing how much of a hypocrite you can be.

Oh?  Just say the word "Monsanto", and see how restricting they can be.

Unless I am missing something, I don't see there is any particular link between homeopathy and Monsanto.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2015, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 09, 2015, 01:55:17 PM

Homeopathy causes significant harm as people take sugar pills instead of real medicine. Frankly, it should be illegal.

That's no different than faith healing and other religious forms of "medicine".

Not quite. I shouldn't be able to market a sugar pill as a treatment or cure for a medical condition. There's a reason that real medicines have to go through a lengthy approval process.

In the case of homeopathy, it isn't even a marginal case of "well it *might* help, but we don't have enough research". It's magic, pure and simple.

Norgy

Homeopathy and other forms of quack medicine are hardly on the side of science, are they, Marti?

When someone says collodated silver water can cure cancer, that's simply not true.

Malthus

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 09, 2015, 02:35:54 PM

Not quite. I shouldn't be able to market a sugar pill as a treatment or cure for a medical condition. There's a reason that real medicines have to go through a lengthy approval process.

In the case of homeopathy, it isn't even a marginal case of "well it *might* help, but we don't have enough research". It's magic, pure and simple.

The regulatory situation in Canada is truly enfuriating. Homeopathic "drugs" are licenced by the government here (they get a "Natural Health Product Number" rather than a "Drug Identification Number"), and go through a shameful sham of regulatory approval for safety & efficacy, just like real drugs - only, the standard of proof accepted for the efficacy of homeopathic "drugs" is, basically, 'whatever magic homeopaths happen to have traditionally believed'.

It's like a cargo cult version of regulatory review.  :lol:

Thing is, being licenced by the goveernment gives them a legitimacy that is entirely undeserved.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Few governments have the knowledge and inclination to call a spade a spade.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2015, 02:44:35 PM
The regulatory situation in Canada is truly enfuriating. Homeopathic "drugs" are licenced by the government here (they get a "Natural Health Product Number" rather than a "Drug Identification Number"), and go through a shameful sham of regulatory approval for safety & efficacy, just like real drugs - only, the standard of proof accepted for the efficacy of homeopathic "drugs" is, basically, 'whatever magic homeopaths happen to have traditionally believed'.

It's like a cargo cult version of regulatory review.  :lol:

Thing is, being licenced by the goveernment gives them a legitimacy that is entirely undeserved.

I read about that a couple weeks ago.  Chiropractors and naturopaths are trying the same shit here.  Fortunately it isn't working (yet).  In fact, if the FTC has its way things might get harder here for the quacks.

lustindarkness

I never understood the deal with chiropractors. Of course, I can crack and pop my back and neck without paying someone to do it for me, so I have never had to research them.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2015, 02:22:59 PM

Unless I am missing something, I don't see there is any particular link between homeopathy and Monsanto.

People who practice homeopathic remedies often have an extreme aversion with things that "Mess with nature".  Monsanto is typically public enemy number one.  Here's a rationalist that you happen to like (at least you listen to his podcasts), ranting about "Frankenfood".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSw3fYnICc
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory