What two religions tell us about the modern dating crisis.

Started by jimmy olsen, August 30, 2015, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2015, 11:33:39 PM
Wasn't the term "second world" used to denote the Soviet bloc? So I am not sure if it can be used about any country at all today.

All of the second world countries got downgraded to third in the 90s.

Congrats.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2015, 10:19:45 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2015, 07:43:07 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2015, 07:25:03 PM
That's not fair, he could also date a Korean girl who's comfortable with her English skills.

Or an expat who speaks Korean(though that's still likely to skew male).

He could. And that has been done before.  But that is tough to do. He doesn't have much money. His future is either to be low income in Korea or move back to the US and pursue the middle class. So...yes the pool can be expanded, but he has to find someone who speaks English and is willing to move to the US or make due on low wages in Korea--all the while overcoming some family and friend issues.

Poor? :huh: I make significantly more than the average Korean. Average nominal gross national income was  $27k last year. I made around $38k last year. Also, teachers get a level of societal respect here they just don't get in the  US.

Also the native English  teachers here skew female. We're the largest cohort of westerners here aside from the US army who obviously skew male, but the two groups don't mix mich at all.

The thing about this post from Tim...he posted he was struggling with the ladies, and I gave some reasons why he might be at disadvantage in his current situation. But Tim comes back to refute what I said and claim he has many advantages from his current social standing.

So okay Tim. I guess you are right and your struggles with the ladies are because of your own flaws.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Eh he is not ugly or anything. Granted I am far from an expert on what women find hot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2015, 10:35:03 PM
Eh he is not ugly or anything. Granted I am far from an expert on what women find hot.

We could have some our gay posters judge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I don't remember exactly what Tim looks like, but I think it was something like this:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Timmy posted pics before.

PICS OF THE SPIC HA HA HA.

He is (or was ) a nice looking boy.  If he's failing to fornicate that's not the deal killer.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on August 30, 2015, 11:13:55 PM

Poor? :huh: I make significantly more than the average Korean. Average nominal gross national income was  $27k last year. I made around $38k last year. Also, teachers get a level of societal respect here they just don't get in the  US.

Tim is rich  :thumbsup:

Being rich now just means making more than the average national income? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

excess of 33% again the average national income should at least get you "upper class", right?

Tim lacks initiative, is all. He was just the other day talking here about some Russian timeshare program that he doubtless never acted on.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 06:11:47 AM

He makes significantly more than the national average. 

There are rich people, and there are richer people. 

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 01, 2015, 06:24:52 AM
excess of 33% again the average national income should at least get you "upper class", right?

I don't see why that would be the case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2015, 06:26:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 06:11:47 AM

He makes significantly more than the national average. 

There are rich people, and there are richer people. 

I think describing someone as 'rich' on that basis pulls away any meaningful information from that word.

jimmy olsen

Tim lacks initiative, is all. He was just the other day talking here about some Russian timeshare program that he doubtless never acted on.

Is that what we're calling it now?  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 06:30:17 AM

I don't see why that would be the case.

You'd need a peerage as well, perhaps a baronetcy at a pinch.