What two religions tell us about the modern dating crisis.

Started by jimmy olsen, August 30, 2015, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2015, 10:19:45 PM
Poor? :huh: I make significantly more than the average Korean. Average nominal gross national income was  $27k last year. I made around $38k last year. Also, teachers get a level of societal respect here they just don't get in the  US.

Also the native English  teachers here skew female. We're the largest cohort of westerners here aside from the US army who obviously skew male, but the two groups don't mix mich at all.

So what's the problem Tim? Get out there and play the field.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Maybe he goes about it all wrong.  For instance, leaving newspaper clipping on a women's desk is not the road to her heart.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Poor? :huh: I make significantly more than the average Korean. Average nominal gross national income was  $27k last year. I made around $38k last year. Also, teachers get a level of societal respect here they just don't get in the  US.

Tim is rich  :thumbsup:

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2015, 08:19:20 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 30, 2015, 08:17:17 PM

Is China third world? :unsure:

Technically I guess it might qualify as second world? Anyway, definitely not first.  :hug:

Wasn't the term "second world" used to denote the Soviet bloc? So I am not sure if it can be used about any country at all today.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2015, 10:54:35 PM
Maybe he goes about it all wrong.  For instance, leaving newspaper clipping on a women's desk is not the road to her heart.
:lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2015, 11:33:39 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2015, 08:19:20 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 30, 2015, 08:17:17 PM

Is China third world? :unsure:

Technically I guess it might qualify as second world? Anyway, definitely not first.  :hug:

Wasn't the term "second world" used to denote the Soviet bloc? So I am not sure if it can be used about any country at all today.

In school I was taught:

1st world: Capitalist west (US, Canada, Western Europe, Japan, Australia)
2nd world: Soviet bloc
3rd world: everyone else

The whole model seems to be outdated. Although I also learned the model after the collapse of the USSR. In any event, in 1980, I'm not sure where China would fit in. Probably most people in the west would have said 2nd world, along with Yugoslavia. I suspect there might have been a different point of view in the Eastern Bloc; I've talked to a couple Russians, neither of whom believed Yugoslavia was communist.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Today the pros use developed versus developing world I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2015, 08:14:08 AM

True, but it would still be useful to keep the divisions - only re-purpose them.

Ist World - same as before

2nd World - developing (Russia, China, India)

3rd World - not developing - maybe even regressing or hopeless shitholes (Much of Africa, large swaths of the ME).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2015, 08:42:40 AM

True, but it would still be useful to keep the divisions - only re-purpose them.

3rd World - not developing - maybe even regressing or hopeless shitholes (Much of Africa, large swaths of the ME).

I've seen 4th world used to describe what you are describing as 3rd world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2015, 09:08:52 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2015, 08:42:40 AM

I've seen 4th world used to describe what you are describing as 3rd world.

Yup, but that is also a re-purposing. "4th World" originally referred to non-national groups (roughly what we would call "indigenous peoples") - like Australian Aboriginies.

Problem is that the whole "three worlds" model is a relic of the Cold War, but the notion is simply too imbedded to be completely discarded.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2015, 08:13:31 AM

Yeah that's my understanding as well, although even before the fall of the Soviet Union, only "third world" was really used in everyday communication in this part of the world.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 31, 2015, 09:17:56 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2015, 08:13:31 AM

Yeah that's my understanding as well, although even before the fall of the Soviet Union, only "third world" was really used in everyday communication in this part of the world.

Well that is because the 2nd World was cut off economically and culturally from you oppressed subjects of the British Empire. Even when it was still around that term was rarely ever used to refer to the Soviet Bloc.

Eddie Teach

Also, teachers get a level of societal respect here they just don't get in the  US.

If you can't (speak Korean), teach (English).

But seriously, learn the language already. You've been there at least five years, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?