What two religions tell us about the modern dating crisis.

Started by jimmy olsen, August 30, 2015, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2015, 11:08:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2015, 06:30:17 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on September 01, 2015, 06:24:52 AM
excess of 33% again the average national income should at least get you "upper class", right?

I don't see why that would be the case.

You'd need a peerage as well, perhaps a baronetcy at a pinch.

:lol:

I just looked an apparently 27k is the median personal wage in the US. I think it would be a very big mistake to say someone make $38k in the US would be rich...though I could certainly see how in certain communities/contexts that could be the case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2015, 11:25:14 AM
Would a Scottish lairdship count? :hmm: :ph34r:

According to wikipedia :

"This rank is only held by those lairds holding official recognition in a territorial designation by the Lord Lyon King of Arms."

Caliga

Doh. :(

I would still prefer to be addressed as The Much Honoured Caliga of Islay, please. :)

Richard Hakluyt

You could always try and bribe the Lord Lyon King of Arms  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2015, 11:34:31 AM
I would still prefer to be addressed as The Much Honoured Caliga of Islay, please. :)

Islay? I am afraid I would have to kill you on behalf of Clan Donald.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Meet me at my estate on Islay for a duel, sir.

However, I don't think we can both be in my estate at the same time. :blush:

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2015, 11:33:09 AM

According to wikipedia :

"This rank is only held by those lairds holding official recognition in a territorial designation by the Lord Lyon King of Arms."

Bah, why covet a mere lairdship when there's a real Scottish barony for sale right now.

http://baronytitles.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=38&cntnt01returnid=19

QuoteThe new holder of the title will be able to style him/herself 'Baron/Baroness of Pittenweem'.  Following a decision, 3rd December 2008, by the Lord Lyon King of Arms the ownership of a Scottish baronial dignity will bring the owner within the heraldic jurisdiction of the Lord Lyon; the acquisition of a Scottish baronial dignity will enable the holder to petition Lord Lyon for a coat of arms.  The Lord Lyon has said that he will accept any barony presented to him as a valid barony provided it has been registered in the Scottish Barony Register.

The price is £65,000.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

By the metric I used for South Korea, the US is at $55k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(nominal,_Atlas_method)_per_capita

Where did you find the median wage for individuals? I can only find households.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Legbiter on September 01, 2015, 03:47:49 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2015, 11:33:09 AM

According to wikipedia :

Bah, why covet a mere lairdship when there's a real Scottish barony for sale right now.

http://baronytitles.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=38&cntnt01returnid=19

QuoteThe new holder of the title will be able to style him/herself 'Baron/Baroness of Pittenweem'.  Following a decision, 3rd December 2008, by the Lord Lyon King of Arms the ownership of a Scottish baronial dignity will bring the owner within the heraldic jurisdiction of the Lord Lyon; the acquisition of a Scottish baronial dignity will enable the holder to petition Lord Lyon for a coat of arms.  The Lord Lyon has said that he will accept any barony presented to him as a valid barony provided it has been registered in the Scottish Barony Register.

The price is £65,000.

The purchaser of The Barony of Pittenweem will not acquire any land as a result of his/her acquisition of the barony title.

Pointless.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Maybe I need to find me one of those Morman spinsters. :hmm:

Valmy

What exactly is being sold here? I would hope the UK does not allow peerages to be transferable like that, the whole point is to let the hereditary nobles die off as a class. If they can sell the titles off that ruins that little plan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Legbiter

The titles don't constitute a peerage. They're bought and sold just like real estate by the looks of it. They're a social distinction for people with more money than sense by the looks of it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2015, 11:40:17 AM
You could always try and bribe the Lord Lyon King of Arms  :hmm:

The Lyon King?  Great flick.  For kids, anyway.  Had four legs, though, no arms.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on September 02, 2015, 04:11:52 AM
The titles don't constitute a peerage. They're bought and sold just like real estate by the looks of it. They're a social distinction for people with more money than sense by the looks of it.

You are buying a government recognized hereditary title are you not? Aren't they trying to phase those out the British way, as slowly as possible?