Ashley Madison offers £300,000 reward amid reports of member suicides

Started by Syt, August 24, 2015, 01:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2015, 10:09:10 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2015, 09:54:52 AM
I am perfectly capable of feeling sorry for people who are victims of a crime and have their rights (that I consider important and meaningful) violated even if I think they are assholes for some other reason.

It's also possible to not feel sorry for the victims but still believe the crime should be prosecuted.

Yes.

Unless of course it is the issue of the week in the Advocate

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on August 25, 2015, 10:10:09 AM
It doesn't take a dedicated site to be a sleazebag. 42% of people using Tinder have a partner, and 30% are married.

Maybe for us gays the perception is different (given that most people on hook-up sites actually advertise themselves as "in an (open) relationship" even if they are not in any relationship, as this increases their attractiveness)...

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2015, 10:12:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 09:52:28 AM
Only men cheat those randy buggers.

I do think women are likely to be more wary of signing up for a cheatin' site. Women tend to be more wary of such things, for safety reasons: sites that look tawdry won't appeal to them as much. Same reason why men are more into the market for prostitutes than women are.

I think women may be just as prone to affairs, but they will go about it differently.

Yeah, apparently according to some research I read recently, women are more prone to long, drawn-out affairs while men are more prone to just having sex on a side every now and then. Which is not really surprising.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2015, 10:07:51 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:56:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2015, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM
I never thought that website was actually real.

Also, I don't think it works(ed) at all.

The vast majority of accounts are male and a good portion of the female accounts are fake.

If you didn't know it was real, why would we take your word on whether or not it works? :huh:

Because it's a (weird) dating website and like all of them, it has way more men then women. So unless alot of those women where having a lot of fun. A good chunk of men were left hanging dry.

I have to agree. From experience, most gay hook up sites also have way more men.

Do gay men have a cheating website?

:hmm: ;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

I do think women are likely to be more wary of signing up for a cheatin' site. Women tend to be more wary of such things, for safety reasons: sites that look tawdry won't appeal to them as much. Same reason why men are more into the market for prostitutes than women are.

I think women may be just as prone to affairs, but they will go about it differently.

I don't buy it. Cheating men require women who want cheaters. Otherwise this site would have failed early on.

I get what you are saying I just don't believe it. Supposedly the safety reason was why women would avoid online dating and they most assuredly have not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2015, 09:59:25 AM
Just that I have a finite amount of "fucks to give" and people who get outed while cheating or trying to cheat on their spouse are a low priority. 

I don't give a fuck that they were outed, I give a fuck that their personal and private information was outed, and that people are so apparently gleeful and smug about it.

Personally, I don't give two shits about them per se - I do care about respect for basic human rights, and hence derive zero pleasure from wholesale violations of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 10:26:46 AM
I don't buy it. Cheating men require women who want cheaters. Otherwise this site would have failed early on.

I get what you are saying I just don't believe it.

According to the Guardian, it was 70% male:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/21/it-hurts-but-im-going-to-defend-ashley-madison-and-37-million-cheaters

And according to a former employee as reported by the Telegraph, the site invented many of the women that were there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11817155/Ashley-Madison-employee-told-to-create-hundreds-of-fake-profiles-of-alluring-women.html

Also, some of the "dates" were prostitutes even if the men didn't realize it (they would just ask the man to pay for the hotel room, but would have multiple men do that during the day).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Well I stand corrected. Nice little scheme by those prostitutes. How many people can say they hired a prostitute by accident?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2015, 10:43:35 AM

Personally, I don't give two shits about them per se - I do care about respect for basic human rights, and hence derive zero pleasure from wholesale violations of them.

Do you feel the same way about DGuller, that he violated my basic human rights by revealing what was told to him in confidence?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 10:26:46 AM

My wife and I used to joke about those late-night "party chat lines" that advertise that tons of hott women have nothing better to do than to hang out and talk to lonely guys at two in the morning. The Simpsons made fun of that as well, with Apu saying "this party is not as hot as advertised" or something. Now, I have no real clue as to the percentage of guys on such sites ...  ;)

Point is that sites like this are selling the hope of having an affair, and as long as they can sell that, the actual incidence of successful affairs is immaterial.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on August 25, 2015, 10:46:47 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2015, 10:43:35 AM

Do you feel the same way about DGuller, that he violated my basic human rights by revealing what was told to him in confidence?

IN this case, no, because you are a d-bag. So it is ok. :P

Actually...wtf are you even talking about?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

QuoteMy wife and I used to joke about those late-night "party chat lines" that advertise that tons of hott women have nothing better to do than to hang out and talk to lonely guys at two in the morning. The Simpsons made fun of that as well, with Apu saying "this party is not as hot as advertised" or something. Now, I have no real clue as to the percentage of guys on such sites ...  ;)

Point is that sites like this are selling the hope of having an affair, and as long as they can sell that, the actual incidence of successful affairs is immaterial.

That is different. And it is very much material. This is a hookup site that requires physical people to show up and hookup in order to keep their customer base in existence.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 10:49:13 AM
That is different. This is a hookup site that requires physical people to show up and hookup in order to keep their customer base in existence.

I dunno if it does. It needs its customers to continue to *hope* for a hookup.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2015, 10:50:45 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 10:49:13 AM
That is different. This is a hookup site that requires physical people to show up and hookup in order to keep their customer base in existence.

I dunno if it does. It needs its customers to continue to *hope* for a hookup.

Because there are no other hookup sites on the internet they could use? Their tiny little hope is only sustained by Ashley Madison?

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2015, 10:47:33 AM

IN this case, no, because you are a d-bag. So it is ok. :P

Actually...wtf are you even talking about?

I met up with DGuller, who thought he was meeting with Dorsey, and told him--in confidence!- that I had an alternate account that was Alfred Russel. Like 7 or 8 years later he told the mods by PM.

My basic human rights were violated. :(