Ashley Madison offers £300,000 reward amid reports of member suicides

Started by Syt, August 24, 2015, 01:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 09:48:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2015, 09:46:58 AM
For my parents' generation it certainly was.

Fair enough.

Spain's "marriage rate" is one of the lowest in the EU. I think my generation soured up on it, given the way it worked for our parents.

Granted, Franco's Spain wasn't the healthiest environment for this thing.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2015, 09:21:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2015, 03:55:22 AM
Does that make it ok to have their info stolen and published? No, not one bit.

Can that, in turn, make me feel sorry for them? No, not really.

Ditto on both.

I am perfectly capable of feeling sorry for people who are victims of a crime and have their rights (that I consider important and meaningful) violated even if I think they are assholes for some other reason.

Indeed, using this standard, you should rarely feel sorry for anyone, no matter what happens to them. Because everyone is an asshole in some fashion or another, everyone has some "sin" or another that you can use to claim they had it coming to them. If some state actor throws someone in prison for speaking out, well sure, we all support free speech, but that guy once got in trouble for yelling at his wife, so fuck him.

Nobody here is perfect and without flaws - that is why respect for basic human rights must be unequivocal. Because those who are happy to stomp all over your rights are perfectly capable, and have a long history of, finding some justification for why, in this case only of course, we shouldn't care about that particular losers rights.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2015, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM
I never thought that website was actually real.

Also, I don't think it works(ed) at all.

The vast majority of accounts are male and a good portion of the female accounts are fake.

If you didn't know it was real, why would we take your word on whether or not it works? :huh:

Because it's a (weird) dating website and like all of them, it has way more men then women. So unless alot of those women where having a lot of fun. A good chunk of men were left hanging dry.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2015, 09:54:33 AM
Spain's "marriage rate" is one of the lowest in the EU. I think my generation soured up on it, given the way it worked for our parents.

Granted, Franco's Spain wasn't the healthiest environment for this thing.

It could be. Or it could be Spanish youth have little access to work and a tricky future. Or both.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2015, 09:54:52 AM
I am perfectly capable of feeling sorry for people who are victims of a crime and have their rights (that I consider important and meaningful) violated even if I think they are assholes for some other reason.

Indeed, using this standard, you should rarely feel sorry for anyone, no matter what happens to them. Because everyone is an asshole in some fashion or another, everyone has some "sin" or another that you can use to claim they had it coming to them. If some state actor throws someone in prison for speaking out, well sure, we all support free speech, but that guy once got in trouble for yelling at his wife, so fuck him.

Nobody here is perfect and without flaws - that is why respect for basic human rights must be unequivocal. Because those who are happy to stomp all over your rights are perfectly capable, and have a long history of, finding some justification for why, in this case only of course, we shouldn't care about that particular losers rights.

It's not like I'm saying I'm glad it happened.  Just that I have a finite amount of "fucks to give" and people who get outed while cheating or trying to cheat on their spouse are a low priority.  Perhaps I just lack the enormous heart you have.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:56:45 AM
Because it's a (weird) dating website and like all of them, it has way more men then women. So unless alot of those women where having a lot of fun. A good chunk of men were left hanging dry.

Again...color me doubtful. Women outnumber men on dating websites, or at least they did back in 2007. Now the weird part may be true but there is nothing especially unconventional about cheating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2015, 09:59:25 AM
It's not like I'm saying I'm glad it happened.  Just that I have a finite amount of "fucks to give" and people who get outed while cheating or trying to cheat on their spouse are a low priority.

And it is not like you giving more fucks is going to help anything. The FBI has fucks to give and that is what counts.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 10:00:09 AM
And it is not like you giving more fucks is going to help anything. The FBI has fucks to give and that is what counts.

True.  But for some reason it matters to Berkut that I don't feel bad for these people.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Ditto on both.

Yeah, it's a classic "first they came for X" scenario.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:56:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2015, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM
I never thought that website was actually real.

Also, I don't think it works(ed) at all.

The vast majority of accounts are male and a good portion of the female accounts are fake.

If you didn't know it was real, why would we take your word on whether or not it works? :huh:

I have to agree. From experience, most gay hook up sites also have way more men.

Tamas

Ditto on both.

Never mind that I explicitly pointed out that I consider what happened to these people a crime that should be punished.

I just mentioned that just because that is the case, I will not go overboard and shed tears for them.

Eddie Teach

It's also possible to not feel sorry for the victims but still believe the crime should be prosecuted.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

It doesn't take a dedicated site to be a sleazebag. 42% of people using Tinder have a partner, and 30% are married.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2015, 09:59:25 AM
It's not like I'm saying I'm glad it happened.  Just that I have a finite amount of "fucks to give" and people who get outed while cheating or trying to cheat on their spouse are a low priority.

If there is a general public insensitivity to crimes happening to a certain group, then usually law enforcement also does not treat persecuting those crimes as their top priority (this is why until recently hardly any violence against LGBT people or cops killing black people were investigated - because the general public didn't have "any fucks to give").

I'm with Berkut (and Dr King) that "injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere" and I am offended by your indifference.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 09:52:28 AM
Only men cheat those randy buggers.

I do think women are likely to be more wary of signing up for a cheatin' site. Women tend to be more wary of such things, for safety reasons: sites that look tawdry won't appeal to them as much. Same reason why men are more into the market for prostitutes than women are.

I think women may be just as prone to affairs, but they will go about it differently.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius