Ashley Madison offers £300,000 reward amid reports of member suicides

Started by Syt, August 24, 2015, 01:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Wasn't aware that adultery was still so frowned upon. Yes, it would be better if people were upfront about it, and just call the whole thing off if it's not working, but you just can't *force* people to be faithful. Seems pointless to me.

Then again, being a child of an unhappy marriage I have a lot of contempt for that institution and the expectations placed on it.

derspiess

Ultimately you can't force people to be faithful, but disincentivizing adultery is still possible IMO.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2015, 09:36:04 AM
Wasn't aware that adultery was still so frowned upon. Yes, it would be better if people were upfront about it, and just call the whole thing off if it's not working, but you just can't *force* people to be faithful. Seems pointless to me.

Then again, being a child of an unhappy marriage I have a lot of contempt for that institution and the expectations placed on it.

I guess I missed the expectation that people be forced to be married and be faithful. If that is how marriage works in Spain I guess I would have contempt for it to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2015, 09:41:53 AM
Ultimately you can't force people to be faithful, but disincentivizing adultery is still possible IMO.

I have no issue so long as everybody agrees. I mean no way in hell I would want to be in an open relationship, I would sooner set myself on fire, but it may work for others.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Isn't cheating on a lover usually "frowned upon", whether they are married or not? I never heard anyone saying it wasn't bad behaviour.

Now, some folks have relationships that are upfront not exclusive, in which case having sex with others isn't "cheating" (and if they are married, while technically it is 'adultery' I think it isn't a problem). The whole point of cheating is that you are telling the person you purport to love that you are an exclusive couple, presumably in the expectation that they stay exclusive ... while you go out and have sex with others (and lie about it).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2015, 09:45:16 AM
Isn't cheating on a lover usually "frowned upon", whether they are married or not? I never heard anyone saying it wasn't bad behaviour.

Excellent point counsel.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 09:43:44 AM

I guess I missed the expectation that people be forced to be married and be faithful. If that is how marriage works in Spain I guess I would have contempt for it to.

For my parents' generation it certainly was.

Valmy

Grey Fox

I never thought that website was actually real.

Also, I don't think it works(ed) at all.

The vast majority of accounts are male and a good portion of the female accounts are fake.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2015, 09:46:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2015, 09:43:44 AM

For my parents' generation it certainly was.

I'd be surprised if any sizable minority of folks signing up for Ashley Madison were conservative types from the older generation for whom marriage was an inescapable social obligation ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM

The vast majority of accounts are male and a good portion of the female accounts are fake.

I seriously doubt that.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2015, 09:50:39 AM
I'd be surprised if any sizable minority of folks signing up for Ashley Madison were conservative types from the older generation for whom marriage was an inescapable social obligation ...  ;)

Well there are those like the Duggars.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM

If you didn't know it was real, why would we take your word on whether or not it works? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy